Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking hard about getting a .357 Marlin carbine. I would like to know everything bad or good that people have experienced.

Is there really a buildup lead ring after shooting .38spls, that will cause a malfunction when going back to .357.

I have a 336 I got back in the 70s, and it's a great gun. I don't hunt anymore, so I was thinking about the .357 carbine to go with my handgun.

I would be shooting mostly .38s in it. I'm not planning for any shootouts.

I don't see the .357s at the gun shows or pawn shops, so I will be buying it at Big 5 for $359.

Any info would help.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
It is a great cartridge and a lot of fun. You will like it. The word on buildup is if you shoot 38's all the time, over time lead will get deposited in the throat and keep you from chambering the 357's. I clean mine very well and have not seen this yet, but I am not shooting a lot of 38's. I think this may be more of an issue if you are shooting the 38's every day and 357's very little.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the 1894c is a nice lever gun. I experienced ring build up shooting .38 specials in my S & W 686, I figure that will occur in my 1894c also, so I don't shoot .38's in my 1894c. However I load a light .357 (5.2 grains Unique with a 158 grain LRN) .... this is the upper end of the .38 special loads for the 158 grain LRN I found, so shooting that is a gun built for .357 Magnum did not excite me. It's a light load in the 686 and a light load in the 1894c .... and both guns do decent with it. If you reload, finding a good light load match might work for you. (As I recall I started at like 4.5 grains of Unique and worked up to the 5.2 ... I got decent results in my guns with both 5.0 and 5.2, but the Marlin did a little better with the 5.2, so I use that as my light load)

Good luck, and ....

Happy Shooting !

Hook686

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an 1894CP - it's a vicious circle. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. The more I like it, the more I shoot it. Help me......

Worse yet, my son like it too and keeps trying to convince me I don't need it and I should give it to him.

·
Registered
311 Posts
TXRAY22,
I have an 1894C as well. My favorite plinking load is 3.1gr. of 700x behind a 148gr.WC in.357 case. The Marlin feeds these very well and my Ruger GP100 likes them also.
In 38, if I don't feel like reloading(which is rare) the Winchester "white box" 130gr.FMC works well and leaves very little crapola in the throat.
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
txray22,
I have had one for around 20 years. And, it took me that long to get it to shoot with the accuracy I wanted!!! I would work with reloads for it and get discouraged and put it away for some time period. Yea, it would shoot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards, but I wanted a bit better--a lot better as a matter of fact. Finally last year (?) I got it to shoot the Lyman 358429 cast bullet. It weighs in at around 170 grains, and I have found that heavier bullets shoot better. Regardless, the 358429 when seated in the crimping groove will not cycle--it is too long (OCL). So, I trim the cases back enough to allow crimping in the crimp groove of the 358429 and it works quite well. The same load will not shoot great in a Security-Six that I also own. That was my goal when I first got this lever--it never has happened and probably won't. Also the trigger is absolutely juck. I checked it once with my trigger pull indicater and it came in at 90+ ounces. Good-luck...BCB

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've never figured why anyone would want to shoot .38's in any .357 when you can put the light loads in .357 cases. Same recoil, no messing with the chamber.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
smousefam5 said:
I've never figured why anyone would want to shoot .38's in any .357 when you can put the light loads in .357 cases. Same recoil, no messing with the chamber.
Some people don't reload and .38's are cheap. Cowboy shooters use them to get 10 in the tube for competition.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I think the whole idea of an inexpensive pistol cartridge in a gun is great. Fun for plinking and lighter duty. What I didn't realize is that my gun is never going to be as accurate as a 336 or 1895. Not sure if thats just my individual gun or a trait of all 94C's. I believe the octagonal barrels to be superior. Many others have had somewhat better luck with accuracy than I do. My gun does shoot decently with 158's and 180's. I have a 180gr. heavy cast bullet that has a hugh metplat that is used for hunting. I can get the bullet going over 1800fps. It really packs a punch, and with very little recoil. Shooting paper, it will do 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards, which is as good as the rifle will do. If I had it to do over, I would get the cowboy without the barrel band.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dr. A said:
What I didn't realize is that my gun is never going to be as accurate as a 336 or 1895. Not sure if thats just my individual gun or a trait of all 94C's.
Must be your individual gun. Mine is fully as accurate as any 336. My 1894 .44 Mag was as well.

Clean the gun and no problems from shooting .38s in the .357 Mag chamber. The "ring" is a combo of lead, lube, and powder fouling. Never had a problem cleaning it but it does take quite a few rounds of the ammo I use to interfere with .357 Mag use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts