Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't the right place but I figured this would be the best place. I just came across a Winchester 94 chambered in 356 Winchester and am going to try to pick it up but have some questions. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber? I know it was meant to compete with the 308 Win but I don't know much more then that. Would it be worth adding to the collection or stick with the 45-70's? It comes with all the reloading components so that's a added bonus.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
It is likely the best orphan Winchester ever developed - JMHO! LOL! Love mine, but others on here have had far more experience hunting with it than I. Mine has been to the range, but not hunted with - still looks new. I doubt that it would compete with the 308W. It is a sister to the 358W, shoots realistically flat (compared to the 45-70) and hits hard enough for anything in the Rockies. Ammo can be found, brass is where you find it, I shoot mostly cast bullets, mine does not feed pistol bullets worth a hoot and is finicky about bullet profile. Prefers the Saeco 250's which it will shoot all day long and never see any leading. 200gr cast will run over 2500fps. Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
203 Posts
I always wanted one.Does that count? However,the 356 Winchester came along at the wrong time,why,with the 35 Remington and the 358 being more poular.Finding ammo for the 356 is probably like trying to find a needle in a bunch of hay stacks.Since you have all the reloading stuff for it,it might be worth it.It is one of those cartridges I was interested in way back when but life got in the way and I never did get the Winchester.It would be hard to turn down and I am not sure that I would pass it up if the price was right.Oh heck,do it.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
it is a great caliber, you won't be disappointed. I also have the Winchester in this caliber, I did not know at the time that marlin also chambered rifles in this caliber

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Winchester Big Bore 94 in 356 win. It will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards with the factory 200 grain load. 250 yards on whitetails is no problem. It is a hammer on our West Virginia deer. Buy it unless you can find a Marlin 336ER.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
This is typical of what my 356W will do with about any cast bullet. Note the 45acp case is set on the target for a reference. These are my 250gr handloads, but factory ammo isn't far from it. Fired 3 rounds, moved the sight an inch left and an inch up. Fired 4th round. All targets are at 100 yards unless stated otherwise. Get the rifle, build the ammo, make it talk. It will say "thanks!"

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Sadly, this is another great cartridge that was not real successful. My father had one for a long time. I had the companion rifle in 375 Winchester. There are a couple of variations in these. Some are AE (Angle Eject) allowing scope mounting and others, like my 375, were top eject which prohibits scope use.
Do a search on reloading data and you can compare cartridge ballistics to help you decide. At least the recoil will be less than the 45-70.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Great looking rifle there, the blueing looks amazing. I have a choice between a model 95 in 30-06 or the 94 in 356 Win so its a toss up.
the model 95 is a cool gun too, mine is in .405 Win.

Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Ditto on the 356W being a great caliber, that just never became a commercial success. The Win Big Bore 94 came out in 307, 356 & 375 Winchester. The 307 was suppose to compete with the 308 w. One reason I heard for their lack of commercial success was timing. Unfortunately, they were introduced smack dab during the "Super Dooper, High Velocity Magnum" craze. Deciples of this craze only looked at fps ballistics in books, rather than actual field performance.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
That helps a lot! I love the big calibers, obviously haha what accuracy do you typically get from your rifle?
the best accuracy so far with mine is using the HDY's 200 gr. FTX. bullet. But as sweetwater said my W. 94AE. won't cycle FTX bullets at maximum Cartridge overall length {2.560"} I think a C.O.L. of {2.540"} might work because the gummy tip only stays in the tube. mag.... So I breech load them and they shoot fine. I could breech load one and cut off the gummy tip on the other load it the mag. and use it as a two shot.

T:hmmmm: NY
PS. PM me and I might be able to help with 356W. brass. Note, any 358W. die set used with a 30 30 shell holder will work to load the 356W. cartridge.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Its a toss-up between my favorite rifle: The 356 ER or the 1895 XLR. It can really do some damage. I would compare it to the 338 marlin express on terms of energy. Although the 338 is ballistically superior, the 356 has more flexibility because of the larger selection of bullets and also a larger bore size to releive hore pressure at a faster rate. Larger bore size is easier to reload for in terms of pressure in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hunted a 356 Big Bore as a primary rifle for years, still use it sometimes. 200gr factory rounds are still loaded, and those and cases can be found. The original 250gr heavy gameload has been dropped from production, but Hawk makes a nice 250gr FP. Any FP bullet appropriate for the 35 Rem will function in the 356. Like Sweetwater, I'm addicted to the lead 250gr Saeco for target and game. The 220gr Speer is a great favorite with 356 shooters. My use indicates on deer, indicates decent expansion and plenty of penetration, and should be a solid choice for Elk, Moose and such. Prior to the Saeco, used the 180 Speer FP at about 2400fps, and its a hammer on deer. Some folks will disagree, but I view it as to lightly constructed for heavy game at those speeds. As I understand it, Winchester advised against using RN in this caliber. One nice feature of the round, is that it can be loaded down to 35Rem levels, which is more than adequate for deer anyways, and at that recoil level, would feel safe using 35 Rem RN bullets. Midway recently had 356 200gr bullets ins stock, may still have them. Never used that bullet on game, but do recall one member stating it works very well on deer.

Bullet Ammunition Gun accessory Brass Metal
Gun Revolver Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel
Material property Auto part Ammunition

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Yes midwayusa may still have them probably because midway's pic. of the bullet look like a pointed bullet and if you do decide to buy for www.madwayusa.com use this code NRASHOW2 its $10.
T
:biggrin: NY

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If you are going to reload for the 356 Win, take a look at the Speer 180 grain FP bullets. Designed for the 35 Rem, they did a nice job in my father's gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.