Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any load data with hodgen lever powder for 356 Winchester? Seems like this would be a good powder for the 356 but can't seem to find any data with this powder.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I've experimented with this powder. I would call it average. With 200 grain bullets, I found Hodgdon H322 to be the most accurate and give highest velocity

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't comment on the 356 since I've only tried it in the 25/35 where I found both W-748 and Hodgdon BLc2 gave better velocities at safe pressure. LVR did well only with 75 gr. bullets.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I have been curious about this also.
Maybe if enough of us ask Hodgdon to develop data for their Leverevolution (LVR) powder in the .356 Win they will help us.
I am a lot more comfortable using data if I see it published from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a good 180 gr. bullet pet load ? Thinking about trying this in my 30AS shorty next deer season.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Maybe if enough of us ask Hodgdon to develop data for their Leverevolution (LVR) powder in the .356 Win they will help us.

I called Hodgdon and talked to the about this, the guy I talked to said they had no intention of developing data for the 356, in fact they didn't even have a test barrel for it?
I wouldn't hold my breath!??

I intend to try it with the Speer 220grn bullets, just need to get off my butt and do it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Hodgdon and talked to the about this, the guy I talked to said they had no intention of developing data for the 356, in fact they didn't even have a test barrel for it?
I wouldn't hold my breath!??

I intend to try it with the Speer 220grn bullets, just need to get off my butt and do it.
My interest would also be with the speer 220gr bullet. Too bad hodgen wouldn't develop some data with this powder

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a good 180 gr. bullet pet load ? Thinking about trying this in my 30AS shorty next deer season.

I don't mean to Hi Jack this thread, either..................

I can't help with the Konnerman original question, but I can help Shawlerbrook with his question ......................

After much testing about 15 years ago, I now use 43.5 Grains of Accurate Arms #2015 under a Speer #2435 180 Gr. HCFN as my only 356 load, for a chrono'd velocity of 2531 FPS for a 7 shot group. This load is 0.5 Grains BELOW (44.0Grs) where I was getting "Sticky Openings".............Sticky openings make me nervous...........I recall this load was a bit more accurate, too..............

All testing was done off the bench at 100 yards using a Leupold Vari-X II 1x-4x scope set on 3x power..............

As I recall, this load produced 7 shot groups under 2" inches. Later, I worked further with this load and I recall I was getting 3-5 shot groups under 1.50"..................This was all done about 2004, soon after I had my 336ER built at Marlin North Haven.

I haven't deviated from that load since then....................How does it work on White Tails?..............LOL!.........I don't know!........... I have a hard time finding them, now!............but it works well on coyotes!

Konnerman, I'd suggest you concentrate on Propellants that were in use back and available on the market when the 356 Winchester was released............Call the Ballistians at those companies for some help.........I recall that's what I did in the absence of available published 356 data............Help is out there for the asking........

Tom

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a fair amount of data and a good load with IMR 4064 with speer 220gr FN. Tried 180gr speer with H322 and accuracy was terrible. Was interested in Hodgen LVR because it seems to work well in other lever gun cartridges such as 308 ME and 35 Remington, but without any data from manufacturer will have to stick with what's already out there . It's good to hear what loads people are using and like too.

Reactions: coyotejoe

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I don't mean to Hi Jack this thread, either..................

Konnerman, I'd suggest you concentrate on Propellants that were in use back and available on the market when the 356 Winchester was released............

Tom
I'm not trying to pick fight, but how would that work out for the 38-55 or 45-70 or 30-30 or .... you get the idea.
I guess I'm just an optimist hoping that the new stuff will be better than the old. I have been disappointed more than once.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The Winchester 14th addition reloading manual , listed 42.1 grs of 748 for 200 gr bullets and 42.1 of 760 for 250 gr loads, both of which are way light and below 35 Rem specs. Interesting the exact same weight of a different powder for a different bullet weight. Use 47 gr of H335 with the 180 Speer here, a maxed out load of 748 is also good.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
I'm not trying to pick fight, but how would that work out for the 38-55 or 45-70 or 30-30 or .... you get the idea.
I guess I'm just an optimist hoping that the new stuff will be better than the old. I have been disappointed more than once.
Two Dot,

LOL!..........No argument from me, I understand what you're saying..............

I'm just trying to say that when I started loading for my 356 Win, there was very little published data for powders I wanted to use, because the 356 was so short lived in the market.

I called a few Powder companies, and was told buy some that they never developed any data for the 356 due to it's lack of popularity...............

So now, I'm thinking the newer powders that are available today may have overlooked the 356W in their data development.

In trying to make my point, .......Do you think there is any data for LeverEvolution Powder for the 303 Savage?..........I haven't checked, but I'd guess there is none because the 303 is sort of obscure, now........

356 data has always been hard to find in quantity, at least it was for me.............

Both my Lyman Manuals have no data for the 356W

Tom

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Thank you Tomray, I’ll give the AA2015 a try. Although the 307 and 356 were around for about the same time, it seems that brass and information is more available for the 307. Seems strange as I cannot believe that one was more popular than the other. Slim Iorg used to post often on these two under appreciated rounds and gave me my pet load for my 30AS 307 rechamber ( Speer 170 over 40.0grs. of 4064) .

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have found the LVR powder does not work good for heavy for caliber bullets. So 180 gr it might be OK 200 grain or over probably not good accuracy.

The 356 180gr Speer load I settled on is 42 gr of H4198 average velocity of 2580 fps with a little over 1 inch grouping. Hodgdon manual shows 43 grains max.
I have been playing with loading 35 Winchester with the 220 grain speer and get good results with Varget but I have not tried it with the 356. I believe the 220 grain is a little too much for whitetail. But I will find out when I wack a deer with the 35 Win. Unlike Tomray I know where they hang out. Usually my yard or the side of the road : )

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My interest would also be with the speer 220gr bullet. Too bad hodgen wouldn't develop some data with this powder
I have not used any 180 Grain Bullets in my 356,
but I have had excellent Accuracy results with both BLC2, 51 Grs for 2365fps and IMR 4895 45grs unchronographed using the Speer 220 grain.
The first load is a Max for this powder(BLC2) and a real shoulder beater in my Big Bore 94. But very accurate, with group sizes hovering a bit over an inch at 100yds, fired from a lead sled.
Recoil will lift the sled off the bench with Ease when the barrel strap is used.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have worked up to Slim Iorg's recommendations using H4198 powder and Speer 180 and 220 bullets. I have had great results. I can depend on one inch to one and a half inch at 100 yds with max velocities. A belated thank you to Mr. Iorg.
tj

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
tj, how much H4198 did you settle on with the Speer 180’s ?

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Go to the Hodgdon website. They provide load data for the 356.- http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

T.S.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
675 Posts
Since we have the 358Win can't we simply reduce the loads a bit and the work back up considering the 358 data as an absolute maximum? Unless I have completely lost my memory the 356win IS the 358win with a rim. I intend to weigh a few of each of the cases and go from there. Since the cases are the same dimensions externally, except for the rim, then the internal capacity should be the same unless the 356 case has indeed got thicker walls. I would think that the rim of the 356 should add very little to it's weight. At least the starting loads of the 358 should be usable, right? I recognize also that the 358 was developed for use in rifles having a rotary bolt with front locking lugs and the Marlin does not. I'm sure that must be a limiting factor for the 356 as well. But, then again the Great Savage 99 was chambered in 358 win and it doesn't have a front locking rotating bolt. Am I thinking completely off the wall? What has been your experience if you have loaded for and used both?I

UPDATE:
Just went to the Hodgdon website and their loading the 356win down a lot! I'm the 200gr loading, which I have used in my 358s the most, they have no loads going over 2200fps. That's where I am in the 35Remington! They are at least 200fps below what the 358 will do.... and it will do more. There is no pressure data given for the 200gr loads either. They must have thought that there are only a few crusty old men out there shootin' them big ole slow poke bullets so there's really no need to provide data......

Reactions: Texas Shooter
1 - 20 of 34 Posts