Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
marlin replied to my query that they have had very few requests for a reintroduction of the 356. They don't accept emails so if any of you are serious please contact the following
Anthony L. Aeschliman
The Marlin Firearms Co.
100 Kenna Drive
PO Box 248
No. haven CT 06473-0905
Phone 203-239-5621 fax 203-234-7991
I feel very strongly about this and will wait a couple of months and reinquire about this....SO HERES YOUR CHANCE...are you serious or just wishin in one hand and spitting in the other and waiting to see which fills up first......I have always believed in being proactive.......if you want something great you gotta push for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called today and got a recording in at least. I also requested more 35 Remingtons such as the 336D and stainless. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
:( On MT I tried to get a fire going for a 35 Rem CB, and also tired to get folks together on the idea of the 356 and 375W.

Marlin replied , yawn, that they were hardly selling 1000 336/35 last year so why would they want another 35 Remington?

They also said that the 356 and 375 were not good sellers , and this was why they were dropped.
Now on the forums , every one wants a Marlin in 356 and 375W.

The interst is that they are not being made anymore , thus the need and the price goes up.
Try to get say a thousand people signed up then to get another run say mayb though Davidsons seems to be a lost cause . The best I could do was about three hundred people that could not all agree on the rifle spec's

Try to reword the heading of this forum , to get some interst going . I hope for the best .
I could not get anywhere , so along with my 336/35 RC , I now own a BLR 358W.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd love to have a Marlin in 356 Win. :D

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
They surely don't expect us to believe they had that many request for a Model 1894 in 32 H & R Magnum.

I dare say they would sell more rifles in 356 then they will that caliber.

I would buy a 356 myself if they would come out with one.

You have to wonder where the Marlin people come up with some of their ideas.

·
Registered
345 Posts
djh, when I heard they were coming out with a 32 H&R mag. I couldn't wait to get one. Then I saw a picture of it and was turned off right away. I don't mind a tube fed rifle but I want to load it through the receiver, not at the same end the bullet comes out. I'm sure there are people out there that like it but not me.

I'll take a Marlin in 307 Win., 356 Win., 375 Win., and even a "box magazine fed" Marlin in 358 Win. Just like my Winchester model 88 in 308 Win. I think they would sell more of these rifles then the 32 H&R mag like you said.

I think Marlin could do a lot better with the 35 Rem. too. Most new hunter's and shooter's don't know about the 35 Rem. They end up getting a 30-30 Win. instead. If Marlin would do a better job advertizing it would help a lot. If there where more 35 Rem. rifles being sold, the ammo manufactures would probably make more selections for it. I really think Marlin could sell as many rifles in 35 Rem. as it does in 30-30 Win.

·
Registered
520 Posts

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME...DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME...DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME..Been there done that...DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. :x :x :x :x

·
Registered
440 Posts
Marlin sales

On Marlin talk there was a petition going for a CB in 32 Mag and the rifle was put on the drafting board
Now there seemed to be some interst in the 32/20 and 25/2o also.
As far as I am aware only Davidson got a run of 32/20"s to sell.
Davidson goes not export to Canada, so we can not buy one.
So why does Marlin keep the right to sell some to other countries as with the other 336,1894, &1895 models?
Now as far as the average Guy around these parts go, they never heard about Marlin making a 356 ER let alone a 32/20 or a 32 H&R.

If your not on the forums or researching firearms on the web, you never know what is currently being made.
Yes you all heard about the winchester WSm . It is been promoted by all the gun mags and by word of mouth.

Well the 45/70 guide got a lot of press as did the 450M.
Were do you read about the vertures of the mighty 35 Remington?
Just about every one that now carries one.
Marlin seems to be content to just list a few of there offering on a page add, hardly ever a word about anything new and why we should buy one.
How many turn over the page add with a quick glace at the the pictures?

·
Registered
175 Posts
New York Hunter said:
a "box magazine fed" Marlin in 358 Win.
The Marlin can not operate with a box magazine, so you'll never see it.

If you want a box mag. in .358 Win., look at the BLR.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ringo said:
New York Hunter said:
a "box magazine fed" Marlin in 358 Win.
Ringo said:
The Marlin can not operate with a box magazine, so you'll never see it.
Surely Marlin could make a rifle that would take a box magazine. It doesn't have to be a current model. If they did this they could chamber it in any cartridge from 223 Rem. to 338 Win. mag.. :D

Ringo said:
If you want a box mag. in .358 Win., look at the BLR.
Nope there made in Japan. :evil:

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 336 action is what makes a Marlin a Marlin.
If Marlin were to have someone invent a whole new design, and then attempt to manufacture it...I can promise ya', Marlin would be totally bankrupt within a week.

We're not just talking about a modification of the 336 action. Marlin would have to come up with something that does not infringe on the patents of Winchester's 88, Savage's 99, Browning's BLR, etc., etc.

Sorry for being so vague in my previous post; I hope I was more clear this time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ringo said:
The 336 action is what makes a Marlin a Marlin.
If Marlin were to have someone invent a whole new design, and then attempt to manufacture it...I can promise ya', Marlin would be totally bankrupt within a week.

We're not just talking about a modification of the 336 action. Marlin would have to come up with something that does not infringe on the patents of Winchester's 88, Savage's 99, Browning's BLR, etc., etc.

Sorry for being so vague in my previous post; I hope I was more clear this time.
Ringo, I "respectfully disagree" with you on this. I think Marlin could come out with a "box fed mag rifle" and be successful with it. They came out with a "centerfire bolt action rifle" a few years ago and although it wasn't that popular it didn't "bankrupt" them. We all know how many manufactures make bolt action rifles. If they made a "box fed mag rifle" they would be competing with the Browning BLR only. The BLR is over priced and again made in Japan. Browning makes these rifles for pennies on the dollar and still sell them as if they were made in Belgium. The same company that owns Browning also owns Winchester. I'm not 100% sure but I think it a French company that owns them. Its only a matter of time before Winchester's are made in the "Land Of The Setting Sun" too, this said on Memorial Day!

Before anyone asks, yes I do own things that are made in Japan and China and other third world countries. But I will by American before I buy something made in those countries if I can.

As I said Ringo, I "respectfully disagree"! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmmmmm........ Maybe if Marlin got wind of this, they could run one of those contests for all Marlin owners to see who could come up with a design for a "Box-Fed" lever-action rifle.

Who knows...maybe one of us can come up with an even better design than the aforementioned models ( Win. 88, Savage 99, BLR ).

~ :roll:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Its only a matter of time before Winchester's are made in the "Land Of The Setting Sun" too, this said on Memorial Day!

Before anyone asks, yes I do own things that are made in Japan and China and other third world countries. But I will by American before I buy something made in those countries if I can.

For what its worth the good Winchesters are already made in Japan by the same company that makes Brownings. The 92's & 86's are both made by Miroku & in my opinion are head & shoulders above American Winchesters.
While I agree that I'd rather not see "Made in Japan" on a gun, my Browning BLR is of such obvious quality, from the finish on the metal to the fit of the wood to the way it comes to the shoulder that I forget where its made as soon as I pick it up.

I guess Marlin could design a clip fed levergun but I dont think it would sell & it would cost a pretty penny. Most traditional lever actions have alot going on just ahead of the lever, where the clip would have to be. Thats why Browning uses a rack & pinion type design & both Savage & now Ruger have that funny looking lever design. These guns have more complex actions & cost more to make. Thats why Brownings cost what they do & Savage doesnt make them anymore.

I wanted a levergun with a clip so I could shoot pointed bullets so I got a Browning. Cant see why someone would buy a Ruger as 44's arent a problem in a tube fed gun but some people like them. If you want a Savage I guess they can be had on the used market.

Marlins design stands pretty much alone in that the action you buy today is virtually unchanged since 1889 when they pioneered side ejection in a levergun. They may have changed from a square to round bolt in the 336, but if you look at the insides you cant help but notice that its the same basic design as the 93 or 94 or 95 or 1889. They did it right the first time & as such havent had to "modernize" their guns other than lawyer proofing them with the hammerblock.

Could they do it? sure. Should they? Not in my opinion. But what do I know? :lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ringo said:
Hmmmmm........ Maybe if Marlin got wind of this, they could run one of those contests for all Marlin owners to see who could come up with a design for a "Box-Fed" lever-action rifle.
Yeah maybe.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nobody is saying that they have to stop manufacturing their current lines, only that to add to their bottom line as well as give us, the Marlin owners / collectors options in more desireable cartridges, Marlin should indeed hit the drawing board and design an all American clip fed, high pressure handling lever gun.
The one thing they really need to do better this time around is advertise properly.
If they would just use some resources to get it right, I think they could easily give Browning and all the rest a real run for their money.
I too would prefer to see made in America on what I buy, but I have to admit, that BLR in 358 has been gnawing at me to add to my collection.
I have handled and shot one, and I must admit, they are nice looking, good quality firearms.
Just MHO.
Ranger

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I guess it may be worth a try but I probably wouldnt buy one.

For what its worth, the loading method used on the 32mag & 32/20 is authentic. Im not sure offhand of the model, 1892? but they made a 32 cal levergun with 2 firing pins, one for rimfire & one for centerfire & I believe it was loaded the same way. That being said I dont have a desire for one of those either. Seems I look more to used guns lately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If a product is made in Japan then it is not made for pennies on the dollar, wages are very good in Japan, pennies on the dollar would be communist china! As far as marlin making anything but there traditional rifle, I think it would be a waste of time on there part unless it was really trend setting and they are too conservative for that! Take a look at there M7 a real nice rifle but why would a person buy one of them when Win, Ruger and Rem all have established model on the market. Marlin tried to take features of current models and roll them into one and I'm sure they thought they had a winner, but all the public did was yawn and keep buying Win, Rugers and Rem bolt guns. I'm not sure if a trend setting lever gun would even go over, look at the Win 88 Sako Finwolf great lever guns that couldn't make it!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
356 358

Hi everyone, my first post. I got so tired of trying to find a 336er, that I finally orderd and received a browning blr 358. I put a leupold 2x7 on it. I know it"s made in Japan. But the quality is out standing. :wink:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts