Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
".356 Only" Hunt

Several days ago in the "Factory Ammo for 356W" thread, I suggested that with all of the .356 shooters out there, we should get together and talk Ranch Dog into hosting a ".356 Only" hog hunt down on his spread in Cuero, TX.

Ranch Dog has graciously opened a window of opportunity for just such an event.

He has suggested a September hunt, and if the thing can be booked early enough, Ranch dog says he might could swing a weekend.

Here's Ranch Dog's post from the other thread in case you didn't see it:

Ranch Dog said:
What is generally good about September is that the critters are running out of good sources of food. They tend to wander a lot and if they find a good source, stick with it. It is definately hot during this time but the morning and evenings are okay. Let me check into some stuff... moon illumination, etc. How long would you be interested in hunting (how many days) and what days of the week?

Let me hear from you if you think you would like to attend. First five to PM me are coming and I will run a standby list. 356 Win ONLY... Marlin or Winnies.

The only cost I can see might be the purchase of $50 worth of corn each. Let me think of how I want to feed prior to the hunt. Don't want to go looking for them when you get here, you want them waiting on you.

Another cost might be that of a cook for the evening meal. Too much time is lost in camp cooking. I've got more meat than I will ever need and we can eat a different animal every evening; hog, mule deer, whitetail, and nilgai. Would just need the sides...

So what you think 356'ers, you interested?

Ranch Dog - If you have anything to add, you should, of course, feel free.

C'mon guys...opportunity is a knockin'!

:D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

I'll trade my .35 Rem for a .356!! .35 Rems are overrated anyways. :wink:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
697 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Been trying to find to find a 356 of either kind for my buddy so we could split the gas and driving. Anybody seen one for a reasonable price recently? Rick

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Maybe you could talk Ranch Dog into letting one .356 be the ticket for a couple hunters.

Wonder if Dr A knows about this...

SS

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

I certainly would sign up, but am giong on two hog hunts that month already... :lol:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Is September when the small, .356 sized hogs are more likely to be out an about?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Dr. A said:
Absolutely the only month for shooting 'tubby hogs" :lol: :) :wink:
ouch :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Big Medicine,

If you want to go, I have 356 that can be used, with accurate ammo... Just pick it up on your way there!

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

How all this kind of started was fellows not really wanting to hunt with their 356's. I see that as very much a shame! I figured I might be able to cure that by offering up this .356 Win hunt. So far, only two takers and a bit of the details remain to be worked out. Just sat down at my computer to get caught up. Been away for a couple of days, hogs tore my driveway to the highway up while I was gone so I'm watching for them this evening while the evening set in.

Now about the .35 Rems. No trouble fellows hauling these out of the house for a hunt! Don't know why fellows are so worried about scratching those .356, they were made to hunt!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

I'm not afraid to scratch my 38/55CB, if I had a 356 I wouldnt be afraid to scratch it either. :D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

They are just tools for me. Not collector's items.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

I would take real good care of Dr A's 365, thanks buddy!!

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Okay fellows, here is what I purpose...

Dates...
Arrive for the hunt at noon on Friday, September 23, 2005. Hunting Friday afternoon through Monday morning, September 26. These are the best days in September to hunt. I can just about guarantee you that you will see hogs daily and get shots at "daylight" hogs.

Your .356 Win...
At your arrival, we will check your sights/scope on the rifle range and then get you settled for the hunt. If you shoot sights, sight your rifle in dead-on at 50 yards. Scoped rifles should be sighted in dead-on at 100-yards (hey, same as the postal match). It's really important that you shoot before you arrive. Shoot at least 100 rounds of ammo in September. Actually, shooting any Marlin will prepare you for the hunt.

Your license...
If you are not from Texas, you will need a Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting (Type 157): $45. It is legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). It is valid to hunt: Exotic animals, all legal game birds (except turkeys), all nongame animals (feral hogs, squirrel and javelina (not valid for other game animals or alligators). These licenses can be purchased from the TPWD on-line but they charge an additional $5. They can be bought as a group, saving the individual the $5, and I would be happy to facilitate that purchase.

Lodging
About all I can offer up is my garage. Oh, it's not your average garage. You would need to bring bedding and a cot. There is hot and cold water in the garage and my reloading room is in the back of the garage. The reloading room has a/c and a complete, full bath. If you want to tent or RV camp, I have plenty of space for that. There is also a full range of motels in Cuero; we are 10 miles from town.

Meals...
I also would like to arrange a cook for the evening meals. Hog hunting consumes a large part of the afternoon, evening, and hopefully you are cleaning your hog after dark. I'm pretty sure we can have a cook to provide the evening meals for $54. This will be a wild-game, buffet style meal every evening when we get in. Breakfast, lunch, and beverages (except at dinner) will be on your nickel. I will have the required dose of coffee available every morning.

If you want to bring "adult" beverages for unwinding at the end of the day next to the fire ring, please feel free to do so. They will only be allowed at the end of the day, AFTER YOU ARE FINISHED HUNTING.

Cost...
I want to put a good feed on for the hogs. It looks like each hunter’s share of corn will run $35. So the cost of the hunt will be $89, plus the cost of your license ($45 + $2).

I will provide more details as you need them. I'm a little shy of offering hunts on my place because it is a lot of hard work. I am excited about this hunt! Here is the line up so far...

FWiedner
Sure-Shot (?)
Side-Spin
Lantrad (X2 ?)
VTDW (will be shooting my rifle)
Big Medicine (will be shoot Dr. A's rifle)

Let me know if these dates work for you.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

Ranch Dog,

You are way too kewl dude!! Be sure to let us know what to bring or any way we can help you out for your generous offer and hospitality.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

I think the boss at home gave the ok...now tomorrow I'm try to get the vac time from work and then it is a go :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
".356 Only" Hunt

I won't have my September schedule until August 12th and then I'm going to need to do some horse trading to get some time off.

I missed a hog last night with my 336-44 Mag. My bath in the master bedroom is being remodeled so I decided to go take a shower in my reloading room last night, it has a really nice shower. I've got a breezeway that connects the home to the reloading room/garage/barn and it also has a great view of a feeder 100-yards distance. The feeder has a Hog-Lite on it so we can see critters at night. Of course, as I went banging out the door at 10 p.m. there was a huge hog under the feeder. I hustled along to get my rifle out of the reloading room and came back outside. The hog was still under the feeder but by the time I settled in for the shot he vanished. Oh well ,on to the shower.

When I came back out, there was nothing under the feeder so I panned the brush with a spotlight. I saw about 15 sets of eyes heading for the feeder so I doused the light and just stood there waiting with nothing but a towel wrapped around my waist. They took their sweet time with a bunch of little ones arriving first and then some large hogs got under the feeder. Don't know why, but I jerked the trigger. May be it was because about that time my towel dropped off!

Oh the joys of living in hog country!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts