Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago another member asked me to look down the bore of my .356ER and form an opinion as to whether it is microgroove or Ballard. My initial thought was "it has to be microgroove, that's what it says on the barrell.

Well, I finally got time to glance down the bore of my .356 and the glance turned into a look, which turned into a peer which turned into an inquisitive study of what looks like 6 lands and grooves looking right back at me. I look down the bore of my .35CS, and see what appears to be numerous and very fine lands and grooves, not at all what I saw in the .356 bore.

I then went to my BLR, to my Ruger M77, to my son's A-bolt, all had very well defined Ballard style lands and grooves, the same appearance as the .356. Is it microgroove or Ballard? I need to point out that all bores I observed were clean and afforded excellent visability.

Will someone who is smarter than I tell me what's going on with the .356 bore?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I haven't really looked that closely at mine.
Could it be a Marlin fluke ??
If you can tell the difference between Marlin Ballard rifling and Marlin Microgroove rifling, the answer is in what you see, not what the barrel has stamped on it.... I guess....

Ranger :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your question, "...could it be a Marlin Fluke?..." and your statement "...it's what you see..." reflect my thougths quite well but it does not ease my curiosity as to why it's the way it is.

I would like to know what everyone else who has one sees when they look down the bore.

G

·
I'd think that it's easy to tell the difference.

Microgroove rifling is just that, a very shallow cut rifling, with more lands and grooves. Barely looks like it's there.

Ballard is a deeper cut and looks pretty much like every other rifled barrel on the planet.

My 336ER has Microgroove rifling.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine appears to be microgroove. Roughly 6 Lands / Grooves, but they appear to be wider than one would expect.
Ranger

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the deal 'ranger, it looks nothing like my .35 as I described in my original post. And if there are only 6 lands and grooves that isn't "Microgroove". Look at the bore of a rifle that is not microgroove, no difference so far as I can see...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sidespin said:
That's the deal 'ranger, it looks nothing like my .35 as I described in my original post. And if there are only 6 lands and grooves that isn't "Microgroove". Look at the bore of a rifle that is not microgroove, no difference so far as I can see...
I will check against my others and report again ASAP.
Ranger

·
Registered
62 Posts
Microgroove Barrel

If it's a 'MicroGroove' you can't miss it if you've ever seen one side by side with a 'Ballard'. If you counted six lands and grooves it's 'Ballard' rifling and the barrel stamping is an anomaly. It sounds like your .35CS is a 'MicroGroove'.

Maybe having a 'Ballard' barrel stamped 'MicroGroove' is like finding a double headed nickel!

Have fun...Jim H

·
Registered
555 Posts
SS
My 336ER is microgroove I checked against my 375 marlin they appeared to be the same.Then I looked down the barrel of my 444 and my 45/70.That I know are ballard type barrels.And it was easy to see the 336ER and the 375 were both microgroove.

D.D.444

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sidespin,

This is quite interesting. Maybe your nice ER is more valuable than you thought. Have you called Marlin and asked them about it? Don't send it to them, just ask about it. The only other Ballard-rifled 35 caliber Marlin I have ever seen is my SC made in 1950. Please let us know what you find out.

Live well

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks DD444, and by the way, good to see you again. You bring up an interesting point and one that I will check on. I compared it with the rifling in my BLR .308 and it looked amazingly similar, however I will compare with another Marlin big bore and see what's up.

Big Redhead - if after further checking I still have questions, I will call Marlin and let you know.

SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts