Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if the 336C could be converted to a 356 caliber.
The rim of the brass is the same as a 30/30 and the overall length is about the same so I think the receiver would handle it without any changes.

The barrel could be rebored and rechambered pretty easy.

I think I am going to visit with Dave Clay about this. I need to see his new shop anyway. It may be my next project gun.

From what I have been reading the 356 is a much better caliber at longer ranges and carries more punch then the 35 Remington and certainly the 30/30..

What is you opinion?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been thinking about this convertion my self. I just can't bring myself to doing it to the 336CS 35 Rem that my father bought me. I might try to find a used one in really good condition.

IF the bolt from a 336 in 30-30 Win. will fit in a 336 in 35 Rem. then all you would need to do would be "ream" the chamber. The 35 Rem. has a "head diameter" of .460" of an inch. The 30-30 Win., 307 Win., and 356 Win. all have a "head diameter" of .506" of an inch. Like I said IF the bolt from a 30-30 Win. will fit. I don't know if it will or not. I'm sure some of the guys or gals out there can answer this for use!

G

·
from Chuck Hawks website:

"In 1982 the M-94 Big Bore was offered in two new calibers, the .307 Winchester and the .356 Winchester ................the .356 was based on a case which looked for all the world like a semi-rimmed version of the .358 Winchester. The .356 operates at exactly the same pressure as the .358, 52,000 cup."

That's something like 20000 CUP higher pressure than the 35 Rem. I won't put that kind of pressure in my 35....................... don't know exactly how accurate the pressure info is, but it merits some research, eh?

Regards,

Grizz

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can save even more money and use the bolt from the 35 remington and just ream out the chamber and you can use 308 win brass instead of finding the 356 stuff.

With out a dought i would not load to max loading for ether the 358 or 356 there CUP is 52.000 thats more than I would shoot in a 336.

Riflemen10x

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rifleman10X:

Interesting thread but I would not use a 35 Remington barrel. I would take a 30/30 barrel and rebore and rechamber it to the 356 barrel twist.

Grizz:

The higher presure does bother me. I was unable to reach Dave Clay today but will try again tomorrow. If any gunsmith would know he would. Apparently, a gunsmith named Sammy Davis with Dixie Shooter has converted the Model 336 to a 358 caliber with good results. We will just have to see what Dave thinks. He is the smith I would have do the work anyway.

If the conversion is possible it would increase the effectiveness of the 336 a bunch.

I will let you know what he has to say.

G

·
djh,

I would be interested in what he says. Marlin did make some high pressure guns, but they stopped quickly, then started again. Isn't the 336 ER a .356?

My thing is I look for good performance at lower pressure levels in lever guns, wasn't trying to throw a wet towel on a project. I think you would have a great gun, and of course you don't have to overload to get a significant improvment in range.

Best,

Grizz

·
Registered
479 Posts
The 336ER is indeed a 356 and to the best of my knowledge, it is a standard 336 action.
The action will handle the .307/.356 conversions just fine.
Ranger

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do not use loading data for the 358 Winchester in the 356. Check your loading manuals, and you will see the data is quite diffrent. The 30-30 can be rechambered to 307 Winchester with no other modifications, the 35 Remmington would require a 30-30 bolt, and reaming of the chamber. All of the reloading manuals I have seen say not to use the 358 and 308 data in the 356 and 307 cartridbes. They are a lower pressure load range.

Lee L.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a very nice conversation this morning with Marlin's Tim Looney. Nice man. We discussed, among other things the possible 356 conversion. He tell's me a model 336 or 1895 frame can be used for this conversion. Either a 30/30 or 38/55 bolt will do the job and no changes need be made to either. He did say that the head space of a 356 caliber was critical.

The diminitions of the Marlin Model 336, 356 caliber were:
Bore : .3515
Grove : .3577
Twist : 1 in 12

I also had a conversation with Al Siegrest with the Al Siegrest Gun Shop in Whitmore, Michigan. He has rebored and chambered several barrels for me in the past and does a very good job. I wanted to see if he could bore and chamber a Marlin barrel to the above specs. He said he can.
Cost $ 215.00.

Well, sounds like I have found my next project.

Tim said the reason Marlin dropped the 356 was poor sells at that time.

He indicated that he was not sure how a 356 would sell in today's market but agreed the long range (200+ yds). lever action was a piece of the market that is open. In order for them to consider bring it back they would need to project a sells of at least 1000 units.

He did admit to me he liked the 356 personally and want's me to call him should I do the conversion.

The reason I am most interested in the 356 conversion is that I want a lever gun that will be effective, consistantly out past 200 yds. and I feel the 356 fits the bill.

I do love those Marlin lever-guns.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
djh said:
The reason I am most interested in the 356 conversion is that I want a lever gun that will be effective, consistantly out past 200 yds. and I feel the 356 fits the bill.
I don't blame you for wanting a 356 Win. I have one, but its in a "Winchester model 94 big bore". I'm not a big fan of the Winchester model 94's. But I couldn't pass it up, its in great shape. I bought it from a guy I work with for what he paid for it at a gun show 10 years ago and thats $200. I don't even use it, I'd much rather have it in a Marlin, but for $200 how can you go wrong!!!

If you want a Marlin 336 rifle thats a good 200 yard deer rifle, you might want to look at a Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win. and have the chamber reamed out for a 307 Winchester. That all you would have to have done. The 307 Winchester has 1400 ft. lbs. of energy at 200 yards, thats a tad more then a 30-30 Win at 100 yards! And its a whole lot cheaper to do! But your probably like me and "you like your guns how you like your guns" so either way good luck!

djh said:
I do love those Marlin lever-guns.
You ain't kiddin brother!!! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are asking the same questions as me, only I'm rebarreling a 30AS to .38-55 using a shillen .375 barrel. I'll be shooting mostly cast bullets and loads will be warm by .38-55 factory standards but not over .30-30 pressures unless ... The chamber will accept .375 Winchester cartridges but will the action take the pressures. The Speer reloading manual Number 12 says both the 307 and the 375 operate at a SAMI maximum of 52,000 cup. Being able to use the 375 in a pinch would be a bonus to this project. Will the 30AS action take the pressure?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
oldgerboy,
There's no reason your gun wouldn't take the .375 Win, since there is no difference in your gun and the original model 375 Marlin. Both use the same 336 based frame, so it should be fine.
djh,
Looking forward to seeing another of your conversions! You must have the most unique set of "project" guns I've seen so far! Will this one have a similar look to the others in your collection when complete?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the complement marlinman93, my vision of perfection associates itself with a combination of my brother's old Marlin .32 Spcl with the pistol grip, 20" barrel, and half magazine and a model 64 Win with the half magazine and a 24" barrel ... somewhere in that ,mix is my Ideal ... but, it has to be in a caliber that is a bit from the ordinary such as a .30-30 Ackley, .38-55 (normal only to lever nuts), .256 Win. The .256 in a rossi with a Douglas #1 barrel, 12" twist, and of course a magazine that only extends past the forearm far enough to attach a sling swivel. The .38-55 barrel will be 22" (something different) and of course a half magazine. Love the looks of the short magazine.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marlinman93:

Sorry it took so long to respond. The wife and I just got back from a vacation trip to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado and celebrated our 47th wedding aniversery while on the road. Boy those are some beautiful states.

To answer your question. If I do the conversion I will use a Model 336C or an RC. I met with Dave Clay before I left to be sure we could build a 356 and he say's their is no problem. I got some good information from Tim Looney with Marlin concerning the conversion also. I will need to use a later year model, say 1980 or newer due to the increased preasures of the 356 caliber. According to Mr. Looney the metalurgy is a little better in the later models.

The gun will favor the 32/40 and 38/55 conversions I have already done.

I will keep you informed of the progress when I begin.

Thanks for asking. djh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts