Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
In my view, the 350L is a special purpose round which should perform just fine for the narrow purpose for which it was designed. The Winchester hype portrays it as a "Super Round" thereby raising expectations that will not, for many, be met.

I think that is a mistake that will engender disappointment.

It reminds me of a similar error by Savage Arms when they created cartridges ahead of their time for their Savage 99 rifle which was also a groundbreaking design. The Savage 22 Hi-Power was presented as a big game cartridge. Savage went so far as to publicize the killing of a tiger with what we would now consider light for big game. Also, when Savage brought forth its Savage 250-3000, the designer of the cartridge (Charles Newton) recommended loading the round with 100 grain bullets at 2800 fps. But, founder Arthur Savage insisted on using 87 grain bullets to achieve a then unheard of 3000 fps. Savage hyped the 3000 fps velocity of the cartridge ignoring Newton's advice. The result in the cases of both the 22 Hi-Power and the 250-3000 was a reputation as a wounder, not a killer. All of that, of course, was rectified years later but the damage was done.

T.S.
Very well said!

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think 350L is minimum deer cartridge at 100yds or less. I think it is going to be a flop except for AR crowd. Shot placement will be vital.
Oh come on. It has ballistics nearly equal to the 35 rem and better than that most iconic and venerable deer cartridge, the 30-30 Win. It's at least a 250 yard cartridge. It will become a LEGEND! ;D Okay, it's overly hyped but the concept and ballistics are sound.

I not only think it will be wildly successful in limited rifle states but also generally in the woods of the eastern United States. Not so much in the wide open west. It will be interesting to see who's right.

·
Super Moderator
24,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I think the 350 Legend will be used by the AR crowd and the mid-west straight wall cartridge states initially. Don't know what will happen after that--hopefully its over-hyped press doesn't kill it. Hopefully the bullet makers will come out with REAL bullets for the cartridge--357 Mag spec bullets won't work for us reloaders except for killing paper.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well the 44 mag is pretty popular in my state even out of the special rifle zone. I've hunted deer with it the last three years and am 3 for 3 in one shot kills. I'm using a 450 Bushmaster this year even though I don't have to in my area. Interested in seeing how that works. I've typically hunted with a bolt action 308 which does a good job but have also used the 30-30, 35 Rem, 375 Win and 7.62x39. The first three slams deer. I haven't had good luck with the x39 even using hand loads. So comparatively I think the 350L will be a good cartridge and is in the cue to be used next year or maybe later in the season If I get a hold of a barrel and can put an upper together. I have the option of taking multiple does on my property. They are good for trying out new stuff once the buck tag is filled.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Oh come on. It has ballistics nearly equal to the 35 rem and better than that most iconic and venerable deer cartridge, the 30-30 Win. It's at least a 250 yard cartridge. It will become a LEGEND! ;D Okay, it's overly hyped but the concept and ballistics are sound.

I not only think it will be wildly successful in limited rifle states but also generally in the woods of the eastern United States. Not so much in the wide open west. It will be interesting to see who's right.
Be careful in comparisons. Its muzzle ballistics might be impressive but 35 cal bullets need to have weight for down range performance, especially after 100 yards. The old 35 Remington with its 200 grain bullet has that issue. The 150 grain 35 Remington bullet has not been wildly accepted for that reason.

I could see the cartridge in straight wall only zones, but I have no desire to get one for my rifle zone. My old 35 or my 30-30, either loaded with LE bullets is much better, and my 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor are better for longer range. It is a niche cartridge but probably a good one.

DEP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I built a .350 Legend, and so far I like it. I have .25-45 Sharps, .300 AAC, and now .350 Legend in AR platforms. The last few years I have been using a Ruger #1 for deer, switching from a .257 Roberts to a .35 Whelen to reduce tracking. Only one deer has gone more than a few feet when hit by a .35 Whelen. I am hoping for similar results from my .350 Legend. Besides, I like giving the finger to liberals by hunting with an AR!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
CDFB2FAC-BF3E-452F-A295-8A886F9B0518.jpeg I had a few minutes to start checking my hunting loads yesterday. All at 50 yards out the back yard.
the Hornady 270s group well. Very similar to the 180 pp Winchester. Shot a tad higher out of both a 16 and 18 inch upper. The Hornady loads fed well and no hiccups.
So far all loads are close enough to the 147 white box stuff that you can definitely use the FMJ stuff to get on paper and get roughed in. In fact the 180s shoot exactly the same in one of my guns.
Im to the point now I can say both rifles are broken in. About 125 rounds through each.
Next step is to give them a good scrubbing and try the 150 Ballistic tip Winchester.
Now I need to start working on my 12.5 inch 350 Legend Pistol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Be careful in comparisons. Its muzzle ballistics might be impressive but 35 cal bullets need to have weight for down range performance, especially after 100 yards. The old 35 Remington with its 200 grain bullet has that issue. The 150 grain 35 Remington bullet has not been wildly accepted for that reason.

I could see the cartridge in straight wall only zones, but I have no desire to get one for my rifle zone. My old 35 or my 30-30, either loaded with LE bullets is much better, and my 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor are better for longer range. It is a niche cartridge but probably a good one.

DEP
I'm thinking the 180 gr bullet would be the ideal compromise in 350L. Good weight, good ballistics (2000+ FPS/1700 FPE). It'l do the job.

And BTW, I ordered a 350L AR barrel so I should have an upper ready by hunting season in Nov.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm thinking the 180 gr bullet would be the ideal compromise in 350L. Good weight, good ballistics (2000+ FPS/1700 FPE). It'l do the job.

And BTW, I ordered a 350L AR barrel so I should have an upper ready by hunting season in Nov.

Update....

I took at nice doe the other night with my 350 Legend upper. Hit her in the neck and down she went DRT. About a 70 yard shot with Federal 180gr power shoks. The Legend lives on....:biggrin:

BTW, I hunt in the regular rifle zone in northern Michigan so I can carry anything. Just giving the 350 a chance after I took my first deer this year with a 450BM.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Your post is very funny. Not factual but funny.

·
Super Moderator
24,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
My 308 Win DPMS LR-308 is the AR of choice for my hunting. For a budget AR-10 clone--it is scary accurate with my hand loads. Took down an eight pointer with it a couple weeks back................
20191116_072039_V2.jpg

·
Registered
318 Posts
As we all now know some states prohibit the use of bottle neck cartridges so we cant use the 308 AR.
some are afraid of the Thumper but i jumped at the opportunity to use my AR for deer.
Perhaps hunting with the 350 will "justify" others their AR ownership.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Maybe 200 -- using a medium-game/practical 6" point-blank Kill Box.
V200 ~1,500-1,600fps and still in expansion range for that Speer bullet

CAUTION: This post includes load data generated by calculation in QuickLOAD software based on a particular powder lot, the assumption the primer is as mild as possible, and assumptions about component, chamber and gun geometry that may not correspond well to what you have. Such data should be approached by working up from published starting loads. USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, MarlinOwners, nor the staff of MO, nor QuickLOAD's author nor its distributor assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information or information derived from it.

(postscript: I speak from actually having one)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What's not factual about it?

The 350 in my deer blind

The little 350 is a small cartridge. The 30/30, 35 will hold twice as much powder. Therefore MORE power/speed/energy and better suited for 170-200 gr bullets. And they will perform much better at distance than the little 350. That little cartridge IS NOT a 250 yard deer getter by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I see the 350 Legend as neither fish nor fowl. It lacks the power of the .30-30 or .35 Remington. Those are not made for ARs but in the AR15 it also falls behind the 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, and even the .450 Bushmaster. Yet, it provides a viable alternative to bottle-necked cartridges where those are restricted for hunting use. It benefits from reduced recoil when compared to the .450 Bushmaster. And it is the most "unaltered" cartridge for the AR15 of those mentioned. That means a .350 Legend shooter can use a standard AR15 bolt (with standard bolt thrust) and standard AR15 magazines, The .350 is good enough for deer within its range, distances within which the vast majority of deer are shot.

I believe the key to making the .350 Legend a success will be proper bullets in manufactured ammo and availability of suitable bullets for reloading. The AR platform allows for use of pointed bullets but counters that to some degree with a relatively short COL requirement. I think Winchester is on the right track with their poly tipped 150gr Deer Season Extreme Point (XP).

Winchester-350-Legend-1.jpg

It's nice to have a broad selection of weapons and tools to choose from. The .350 Legend is a welcome addition to the mix.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My only comment is, why in the world would you shoot a rifle that throws the most expensive component of the equation who knows where??? Lol. I'm going to put a Savage Axis 350?????? through it's paces this weekend, with factory ammo and reloads. Trust me not my rifle, not degrading it but I know for a fact the 30-30 and .35 Rem are legends. I'll see personally where the 350 (I'll not call it a legend because it has to prove itself with me first) stands this weekend. And I'm from a straight wall only state.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.