Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just another ho-hum cartridge with little to offer pushed by Advertising BS....................351 Winchester anyone?.......been around about 100 years.
I don't think so. The 351 Win is pretty anemic compared to the 350 L. Something like a 4-500 FPS difference in velocity.

Not to mention that the 350L is compatible with the AR platform. There are now AR barrels available in the $75-100 range. If you already have an AR you can build an upper for less than $200. I'm personally a fan of big heavy bullets for deer. Even though I don't live in limited rifle zone the 350L makes a lot of sense and has a lot going for it.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
You can NOT reform 223/5.56 brass to make 350 brass. But Olin only had to tweak their brass-forming setup a fudge or two to make 350 brass, so it's easier and cheaper for THEM.

Apparently, so is lying about ballistics. Figures lie and liars figure. Mr. Hawks explains it better than I can.........

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_350_legend.html
Great Article!!!! Thanks Papajohn!!!!!!

T.S.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You can NOT reform 223/5.56 brass to make 350 brass. But Olin only had to tweak their brass-forming setup a fudge or two to make 350 brass, so it's easier and cheaper for THEM.

Apparently, so is lying about ballistics. Figures lie and liars figure. Mr. Hawks explains it better than I can.........

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_350_legend.html
Just because Chuck exposes the hype behind the cartridge doesn't mean that the 350L isn't a viable deer cartridge. One has to think that if Winchester had marketed/named it differently would Chuck harbor the same antipathy? He seems to dislike the way Winchester is marketing it more than the cartridge itself. So what if it's not the "fastest straight wall cartridge". After all it is close to 35 Rem specs with similar bullet weights and is much better than a 357 mag out of a rifle. Not to mention that is available in light weight and compact bolt action rifles (Ruger Ranch) and of course the AR platform.

I hunt deer in Michigan, not in the limited rifle zone so I can use anything I want. I am building a 350L AR upper just to try out. It should work better than the 357 mag lever gun I've used and be more that adequate in the woods I hunt in.

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Big problem with the 350 Legend curently is there are very few viable bullets out there for us reloaders. The factory ammo uses proprietary .357 inch bullets--they are not the pistol bullets that are marketed by Speer/Sierra/Hornady---etc. The pistol bullets are not rated for 350 Legend velocities of ~2000 to ~2100 FPS. Many of the .358 inch bullets will not work due to the longer ogive and larger diameter. One gunrag writer has written about this problem: https://www.realguns.com/articles/1111.htm He had to resize some of the rifle bullet offerings to get them to work. Not having a proper reloadable bullet for this new cartridge is a big downer for me.

Reactions: papajohn and JACKTW

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I am a grumpy old man, so take that into consideration with what I am about to say. I refer to this new cartridge as the .350 Pelosi. Pelosi is my politically correct term for B.S. I think Winchester hired the Flim-Flam man to be in charge of their propaganda, err promotion department.

Having said all this, I am sure that the .350 will kill deer with less noise, less cost for ammo, and less thump than the .450 Bushmaster. I would like to see real world reports and not just keyboard numbers that have been cherry picked.
Why didn't they just re-introduce the old 351 Win. auto loader cartridge. Seems about the same thing. Not impressed. Neither am I with ANY of the 6.5 stuff they push these days. All a marketing ploy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Big problem with the 350 Legend curently is there are very few viable bullets out there for us reloaders. The factory ammo uses proprietary .357 inch bullets--they are not the pistol bullets that are marketed by Speer/Sierra/Hornady---etc. The pistol bullets are not rated for 350 Legend velocities of ~2000 to ~2100 FPS. Many of the .358 inch bullets will not work due to the longer ogive and larger diameter. One gunrag writer has written about this problem: https://www.realguns.com/articles/1111.htm He had to resize some of the rifle bullet offerings to get them to work. Not having a proper reloadable bullet for this new cartridge is a big downer for me.
I guess one can find fault with anything but I'm thinking the 350L was developed for the majority of hunters who buy their guns and ammo off the shelf, i.e, not reloaders.

BTW, I do reload most of my hunting ammo but I don't see the lack of components as a problem. Ballistics on factory loads seem fine to me and are more than adequate (=35 Rem, >30-30) to take deer. If at sometime in the future correct sized bullets are available, more better. In the mean time it's not a deal killer to me.

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I guess one can find fault with anything but I'm thinking the 350L was developed for the majority of hunters who buy their guns and ammo off the shelf, i.e, not reloaders.

BTW, I do reload most of my hunting ammo but I don't see the lack of components as a problem. Ballistics on factory loads seem fine to me and are more than adequate to take deer. If at sometime in the future correct sized bullets are available, more better. In the mean time it's not a deal killer to me.
After experiencing the empty local ammo shelves of 2008-2009 and 2012-2014, I got back into reloading for good. I won't buy into any caliber that I can't reload for. No more worrying about empty shelves for me...……..

Reactions: Ranger357v

·
Registered
234 Posts
After experiencing the empty local ammo shelves of 2008-2009 and 2012-2014, I got back into reloading for good. I won't buy into any caliber that I can't reload for. No more worrying about empty shelves for me...……..
I hear ya but is that really an issue with a hunting caliber? Based on the way most people hunt, a box or two generally lasts several decades.

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I hear ya but is that really an issue with a hunting caliber? Based on the way most people hunt, a box or two generally lasts several decades.
Well--when I couldn't find any 170 gr ammo for my 30-30s back in 2012--yes--it was an issue! I wasn't the only one faced with that problem--met a lot of other shooters in the same boat back then. I have never shot up my last box since those days---and now I reload...……...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well--when I could find any ammo for my 30-30s back in 2012--yes--it was an issue!
Well...that's why you buy during the times ammo is available and cheap in case it isn't. Just saying. ;D

Got 22 ammo?

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well...that's why you buy during the times ammo is available and cheap in case it isn't. Just saying. ;D

Got 22 ammo?
I have a LOT of factory ammo stashed away now to include 22 LR and 22 Mag. Don't ever shoot much of it except the rimfire stuff. My centerfire reloads are much more accurate than the factory crap.

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
MAC66, I think you hit the nail on the head........if Olin hadn't called it what they did, if the hype wasn't six feet thick, maybe we wouldn't expect it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the ballistics are nothing to get excited about, there are several dozen cartridges that serve the purpose better, and all this round has going for it is that it works in AR platforms, and it adds another option in states with stupid hunting laws. Will it kill a deer? Sure.....but so will a 22LR under the right conditions. So will a 2x4, if you wield it properly.

In true shill fashion, nearly every gunrag immediately fawned over the new wunderkind, proclaiming it the best deer-slayer since lightning.

Personally, I'd rather use a 30-30, because I think it's a far better cartridge, or the 35 Remington if the critters are big and harder to kill. If you need more gun than that, you're not placing your bullets very well. :bandit:

·
Registered
234 Posts
MAC66, I think you hit the nail on the head........if Olin hadn't called it what they did, if the hype wasn't six feet thick, maybe we wouldn't expect it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the ballistics are nothing to get excited about, there are several dozen cartridges that serve the purpose better, and all this round has going for it is that it works in AR platforms, and it adds another option in states with stupid hunting laws. Will it kill a deer? Sure.....but so will a 22LR under the right conditions. So will a 2x4, if you wield it properly.

In true shill fashion, nearly every gunrag immediately fawned over the new wunderkind, proclaiming it the best deer-slayer since lightning.

Personally, I'd rather use a 30-30, because I think it's a far better cartridge, or the 35 Remington if the critters are big and harder to kill. If you need more gun than that, you're not placing your bullets very well. :bandit:
I have lever guns in both 30-30 and 35 Rem and they are indeed good on deer, I've taken a bunch over the 50 years I've been hunting. However, I think the 350L has a couple of things going for it outside of it being used in restricted states or in the AR platform (which I admit is the biggest draw to me)

1. It is available in a compact, relatively inexpensive (compared to lever guns) bolt guns. Something neither the 30-30 or 35 Rem got going for it. If you're just getting into hunting you no longer need to buy an expensive lever gun.

I also have an old 1950s era Stevens bolt gun in 30-30 which I hand load for but nobody makes 30-30 bolt guns anymore. I've often thought that Ruger should/should have made their Ranch rifle in 30-30. I think that would offer a good alternative to the high priced lever guns currently on the market and would in fact resurrect the venerable 30-30 cartridge by allowing spire point bullet loadings. The same with a Ruger Ranch in 35 Rem. It would resurrect that cartridge.

2. The ballistics of the 350L are arguably better than the 30-30 and comparable to the 35 Rem so there is now no need for a bolt gun in those two old calibers. It fills the gap nicely and is soft shooting (low recoil) besides.

So yeah, I am building an AR upper in 350L, not because I need it to hunt with (I hunt in a non restricted area) but because I can. I have enough AR parts to put an upper together by just buying a barrel which is a lot cheaper than buying a bolt gun. I'm also building it because it has possibilities as a good deer cartridge. My 35 Rem just slams deer. I'm thinking the 350L should do the same.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Just because Chuck exposes the hype behind the cartridge doesn't mean that the 350L isn't a viable deer cartridge. One has to think that if Winchester had marketed/named it differently would Chuck harbor the same antipathy? He seems to dislike the way Winchester is marketing it more than the cartridge itself. So what if it's not the "fastest straight wall cartridge". After all it is close to 35 Rem specs with similar bullet weights and is much better than a 357 mag out of a rifle. Not to mention that is available in light weight and compact bolt action rifles (Ruger Ranch) and of course the AR platform.

I hunt deer in Michigan, not in the limited rifle zone so I can use anything I want. I am building a 350L AR upper just to try out. It should work better than the 357 mag lever gun I've used and be more that adequate in the woods I hunt in.
It cannot touch the .357 Maximum loads I make and they are just a smidge under the .35 Remington. The Real Straight Wall is the MAXI. Math does not lie.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
chuck hawks reamed winchester a new one on his review of this latest winny caliber, and starline has the brass, fortunately i have no need or desire for this new one

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
I'm not interested in 350. I think economy BAs were a second thought. The main thing is a deer legal cartridge for AR. It has no use other than a minimum power cartridge for hunting.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,794 Posts
It has a niche' with the AR crowd. It's basically a very slightly fattened rimless .357 mag. My 1894 .357 Magnum pretty musc equates it. In semi auto the .350 would be a cool gun on one of those helicopter hog hunts.

AC

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
I'm not interested in 350. I think economy BAs were a second thought. The main thing is a deer legal cartridge for AR. It has no use other than a minimum power cartridge for hunting. I might have value as entry level rifle for a kid or woman. I have been studying straight wall cartridges and found their is only so much you can get out of them. When you are dealing with 38 minimum the bore size in relation to light bullets is a loser on accuracy. Spitzer bullets in 35cal don't have the accuracy of FN or RN in low velocity rifles. They usually are 20-30gr lighter and gain some velocity. In my experience that's not worth the accuracy loss.

41 - 60 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.