Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I hunt deer in Ohio, which is a straight-walled cartridge state for deer hunting. He is interested in buying a bolt gun for Ohio deer hunting. Either caliber is available in that platform (he's not interested in the AR platform). This rifle's use would be Ohio deer only, as he has a .30/06 for hunting deer (or any other quarry) in other states. Of the two calibers, which would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Like Vooch states, it is hard to make a recommendation without knowing what type of hunting your son will be doing. I would lean to the 450 Bushmaster for most woods hunting. The 350 legend for open fields and longer distances as you will have less hold over than the 450 Bushmaster.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Well I can tell you this from experience with the 450 Bushmaster. Within 50 yards its as potent as my 45-70.
I have no experience with the 350 Legend but from videos I've seen and other forums looks like an excellent hunting round.
450 Bushmaster does have quite a kick, and is probably more than a deer hunter "needs" but it sure does a good job

·
Super Moderator
23,807 Posts
Not sure how the 350 will turn out long term.( Remember the 307, 356, 375?). Big splash but didn't float.

Papalote
:dito: I would wait on the 350 until it actually has staying power on the open market. Remember how big the 224 Valkyrie was recently? One can't find ammo for it locally now.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,940 Posts
Flashes in the pan.

What is out there for the last 100 years or so will suffice for almost any needs.

The difference I see is like the .350 Legend being a cartridge basically intended to be used in an AR platform, and being straight walled it can be used where regulations mandate it. The .350 side tracks stupid regulations. To me that gives it a level of legitimacy. Cartridges will end up in many platforms, single shot, lever guns, bolt, pump...

Existing calibers have the ballistic spectrum is well covered where allowed.

AC

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Why not a lever gun in a straight wall?
My Ohio deer centerfire rifles are a Classic Model 1895 and a 1894C. Although my son has killed deer with a lever, he's more of a bolt guy. (O.K., so he's a disappointment to his father - there, I've admitted it. :laugh: ).

To answer additional questions raised by some, he is not particularly recoil sensitive but has stated that, at the range, after about 10 shots with a .45/70, he's ready to move on, so to speak. As to type of hunting, the 100-acre farm we hunt is a mix of both woods and fields. Some shots are close, but there are shot opportunities out to 100 to 200 plus yards upon occasion. He hunts out of a ground blind, ladder stand, or elevated box blind.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
We have probably sold ten .350 Legends to every one .450 Bushmaster this year. I think the reasons are as follows;

1. New shiny cartridge, must have.
2. Ten dollars a box cheaper for ammo.
3. .450 Bushmaster muzzle blast is wicked in 16" ported barrels.
4. Cheap bolt action scoped packages available from several manufactures.
5. Young shooters, females, and older hunters don't like the recoil and muzzle blast of the .450 Bushmaster.
6. Some people are gullible.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It’s the age old 12ga vs 20ga argument for us Ohio deer hunters. Both in slug gun configuration were plenty adequate for the job of downing deer. Same thing with the 450 vs 350. The 450 has more power, but more blast and recoil. The 350 is easier to shoot and at this point not really giving anything up to the 450 with the excellent ammo selection. Having shot both extensively I prefer the 350. Much more pleasant to shoot, cheap practice ammo and good selection of deer bullets. I’ve talked with several Ohio hunters who shot Ohio deer and not one so far has been disappointed with the performance of the 350 this year. I used a 350 but didn’t get any chance to use it. Forget all this noise about it not being good and talk to Ohio hunters. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure how the 350 will turn out long term.( Remember the 307, 356, 375?). Big splash but didn't float.

Papalote
I'm hoping that whichever he buys (350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster) does turn out to have staying power. Perhaps one thing that might help in that regard is that both are compatible with the AR platform, which seems to be the "new and growing" thing. I'm saying this even though my son would buy his rifle as a bolt 'cause he's not an AR guy.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I don't particularly care for precision rounds that headspace on the case mouth is my reason for not liking either. Which is why I would choose a rimmed cartridge that is better suited for a levergun

Reactions: Papalote and Judson

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flashes in the pan.

What is out there for the last 100 years or so will suffice for almost any needs.

The difference I see is like the .350 Legend being a cartridge basically intended to be used in an AR platform, and being straight walled it can be used where regulations mandate it. The .350 side tracks stupid regulations. To me that gives it a level of legitimacy. Cartridges will end up in many platforms, single shot, lever guns, bolt, pump...

Existing calibers have the ballistic spectrum is well covered where allowed.

AC
No argument from me. My son and I have both killed deer in "real rifle" states, but Ohio is home and we need to hunt here due to affordability and convenience. The 100-arce farm we hunt is only a 45-minute drive, the resident landowner lets us hunt for free, and it's loaded with deer (I've killed 3 there this month and am now limited out for the season). But, if Ohio was a real rifle state, my son would just use his '06, and I'd use my .270 and we'd be done with it, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
There are some great deals on either of these two. Ruger, Savage, Mossberg all being offered for less than $500. Dunhams and Rual King have been running specials.
I think I would go with the 350 Legend if I favored one of those new fangled bolt guns.

Reactions: Judson

·
Registered
4 Posts
So.....I'm the son...lol. to be a little clearer on the topic. Judson bought me the lever action 45-70 and was really thankful..but it turns out the gun is a piece of crap. And when I say this I mean this particular gun. Judson has the same make and model with no problems at all, i just think I got a deflected gun.
The problem I've had with it for the past few years is that it jams while cycling rounds in it particularly after a hunt and are trying to unload.
This season sealed the guns fate when I took out my nephew hunting for the first time and while walking in to the stand at 245pm a doe was coming right toward us. I told him to get down on one knee, the doe stopped 50 yards away, I pulled the trigger and .....click...misfire. then went to cycle a new round and it jammed. It didn't appear to have struck the primer very well so I dont think it was the cartridge.

The gun has been to 2 different gunsmiths in the area and I've finally gave up on it. Thank god it was just a doe! Lol.

So that's the reason for the original post. Looking for a new gun next year and personally think the 45/70 is a little overkill for deer. I dont like ARs, or synthetic, i want a walnut stock. I want a hunting rifle not a range gun lol.

It might just come down between the 2 options who had the better deal and style I'm looking for. Both with kill deer.

Thx for the posts though, I'll take all the comments you guys give to make a final decision 🙂

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Don't think you're son would go wrong with either.
If it were me I'd take the .350 (after somebody pried my .444 out of my cold dead hands of course).

Vooch

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So.....I'm the son...lol. to be a little clearer on the topic. Judson bought me the lever action 45-70 and was really thankful..but it turns out the gun is a piece of crap. And when I say this I mean this particular gun. Judson has the same make and model with no problems at all, i just think I got a deflected gun.
The problem I've had with it for the past few years is that it jams while cycling rounds in it particularly after a hunt and are trying to unload.
This season sealed the guns fate when I took out my nephew hunting for the first time and while walking in to the stand at 245pm a doe was coming right toward us. I told him to get down on one knee, the doe stopped 50 yards away, I pulled the trigger and .....click...misfire. then went to cycle a new round and it jammed. It didn't appear to have struck the primer very well so I dont think it was the cartridge.

The gun has been to 2 different gunsmiths in the area and I've finally gave up on it. Thank god it was just a doe! Lol.

So that's the reason for the original post. Looking for a new gun next year and personally think the 45/70 is a little overkill for deer. I dont like ARs, or synthetic, i want a walnut stock. I want a hunting rifle not a range gun lol.

It might just come down between the 2 options who had the better deal and style I'm looking for. Both with kill deer.

Thx for the posts though, I'll take all the comments you guys give to make a final decision 🙂
Well, son, welcome to MO from your father! P.S. Don't be late for Xmas dinner tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts