Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts
I'd take the 35 Whelen over the featherweight model 70.

The last "lightweight" rifle I owned was a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 308 Winchester. That was around 1992, and it kicked like a mule with 180gr factory loads. I'm not recoil shy at all, but that was a lot more recoil than my Savage 30-06.
My buddy and I were just talking about gun weight light gun nice to carry but kicks to shoot heavy gun is a pain to carry but nice to shoot.

The 9.3×62mm (also known as 9.3×62mm Mauser) is a rifle cartridge suitable for hunting larger species of animals in Africa, Europe, and North America. It was introduced by Otto Bock in 1905. The cartridge has a slight power edge over the popular .35 Whelen cartridge. Both these cartridges are real world stoppers and are greatly underrated because the word MAGNUM is missing. There really is little to chose between them, I use a 9.3x62mm on deer with the 230gr Lapua capped hollow point they really do tend to be DRT. Buy the 35 Whelen it too is a very fine cartridge and will stop most things that walk the earth. And cause less damage to a deer than you would think.GH
Hello.
The 9,3x62 is the most used hunting caliber in France and the one with the highest rate of kills. I have a CZ 550 full stock with a short barrel (52 cm = 20.5"). I handload with a Speer bullet (270 gr) and VV N140 powder and easily get around 4200 J. This caliber is very flexible with bullets weights between 230 and 320 gr and can reach up to 5100 J.
The 35 Whelen is more rarely seen mainly because few european rifles chamber it. I have a Remington 7600 pump action with a short 18.5" barrel. I handload with a Speer bullet (250 gr) and VV N140 powder. I get a muzzle energy at more than 3900 J.
In terms of pure power the 9.3x62 has an edge on the 35 Whelen.
In my short barreled CZ, the recoil is rather hard :cry:.
There exists a whole family of 9.3 mm calibers: 9.3x57, 9.3x64, 9.3x66 for bolt actions and some are rimmed cartridges for combination guns or express rifles: the 9.3x74R is very close to the 9.3x62 in terms of performances. Most of them are rather obsolete like the weak 9.3x72R. I have a Valmet 412 S express rifle in 9.3x74R and I like shooting it. It's so heavy you barely feel any recoil.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.