Marlin Firearms Forum banner

35 whelen

6K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  Der_verrĂĽckte_Steppenwolf 
#1 ·
The gun shop I hang out at has a interarms 35 Whelen, I know it's a necked up 30/06 but I've never owned one. Anybody shoot a 35 whelen and how u like it

#30 ·
I hunted Elk and Moose for 3 decades with my custom built m700 35 Whelen, precision Douglas bbl and it was a tack driver. I mainly loaded 225gr for out West but when hunting Grizz country, I'd load 250gr pills. In 3 decades I never needed a second shot.

35 Whelen is a very versatile round that you can load up or down for your needs.

Jack

#36 ·
I had to leave for work for 8 days and while I was gone my buddy sold the 35 Whelen . I forgot to tell him to put it back for me but I've got plenty of guns to hunt with. I live in rice country south of poplar bluff and so far we haven't got the hog problem yet

#37 ·
Kind of an interesting sidebar, some of the guys over at the CMP site have taken M1 Garands and had the old barrels re-bored to 35 Whelen. They put an adjustable gas port on and have a pretty neat semi-auto in a hard hitting caliber. I'm surprised no piggies around Poplar Bluff. They are about an hour south of us in the Piedmont area. A friend has a cattle ranch/farm down there and he has declared war on them. He has the Conservation Dept. trapping them and he has put together an AR10 with suppressor and night vision. He is pretty serious about getting rid of the pigs.

#39 ·
I had a 35w on a 03 action before Rem standardized it. I didn't have it built, bought it at auction. I've had a couple since on trades but the only one I shot was the custom 03. It was a very accurate rifle and would do 1" at 100yds average. I never had a 350mg in other than 600 series rifles but they weren't near as accurate as the 35w. I might not be a fair comparison against a standard rifle. If I wanted a 35 in this power range I would go for the 35w over the 350mg.

#40 ·
Late-comer to this thread, but I have some good input... I have been intrigued by this cartridge's history and power for years, and finally spec-ed out a Shaw Mk-VII bolt gun in late 2018. Bought factory ammo of 6 different flavors (Buffalo Bore, Barnes Vortex, Remington Core-Lokt, Federal, etc.).
Very erratic, very disheartening results. 100 yards groups struggling to get below 2 inches, no rhyme or reason to the zero wandering all over the place, no consistency beyond 200 yards. I was ready to take the scope off and start from scratch,concluding that the Leupold VX-5 CDX was jumping around or damaged.
Then, just before starting the tear down... Tried one last flavor of factory ammo; Nosler Trophy Grade, 225 grain.
Wow.
Fired one shot to clear the bore, then produced this 3 shot group at 100 yards. .63 MOA from a historic caliber that can't leverage modern high BC bullets. An hour later the rifle was hitting a 10 inch plate at 415 yards, and I don't even have the correct CDX turret yet. I have not seen any other results like this from factory ammo, and I will be buying a lifetime supply once Nosler does another run.
Finger Wood Wrist Fashion accessory Nail
Font Dinosaur Extinction Rectangle Terrestrial animal
Product Font Poster Logo Symbol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.