Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Marlin 35 Rem and have always wanted a Whelen. I had a Rem 700 ADL in 270 I was considering a conversion on and then I got lucky. Someone on Arkansas gun trader listed a Whelen for trade for a more traditional deer caliber. We traded and what I got was a 721 receiver with a Rem 700 barrel 23 in. long. I had a gunsmith look it over and he said whoever put it together did a good job. It has a very crisp 2 1/4 lb trigger and I added a 2-7X32 Nikon Prostaff. This gun is also set in a very nice heavy stock and free floated.
I had trouble finding brass and dies so I ordered some 200gr Rem spire points. I have since found some 250 gr Hornady to reload and a set of Hornady custom dies on Amazon. I am using the 200gr to get brass and get the scope on target. After I got the scope set I shot three out of the warm barrel and I got three holes touching. I hope it handles the 250's well when I get a load worked up. The only Whelen powder I have on hand is Varget so I will be trying that.

Whelen 3.jpg

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I had always wanted a .35 Whelen since I was young, but it just never seemed to happen. I did end up with rifles in the .35 rem and .358 winchester though I love... might still add the Whelen someday... :biggrin:
Enjoy...

·
Administrator
28,320 Posts
Arkie, that is one fine looking 35Whelen you have. I hunted with my Remington Custom built 35Weheln for over two decades and it was more than adequate for anything in North America. I shot mainly 225GR PT that provided not only tack driver accuracy but more than enough energy to down many Elk and a few Moose. While the magnum craze was on I proved an oldie but goodie would do anything their whiz bang could and sometimes better.

I trust you'll love your 35Whelen.

Jack

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Arkie,
I happen to own two .35 Whelens. One is a M700 Classic from 1988 and the other I cobbled together on a Savage 110 action formerly in 30-06. The 110 actioned .35 Whelen started out with a 24" magnum contour ER Shaw barrel. The 24" barrel was just a tad too long (as is the 22" M700) for the thick stuff I hunt here in NE PA, so I had it cut to 18.5" and recrowned. It's handier now than before and the 18.5" magnum contour barrel still "hangs" nice for those offhand shots that are afforded to me. I did loose some velocity going from 24" to 18.5" (around 150 fps) but have made most of it up using TAC and H335. I still achieve 2671 fps with TAC and any 200 grain bullet and 2550 fps with 220/225 grain bullets and H335. On the plus side, my accuracy has improved with the shorter stiffer barrel. There is nothing I'll ever hunt that can withstand taking one of those bullets at the speeds mentioned and come out on top. I don't care if the critter tries to bite, scratch, run me down, or trample on me! If carrying one of my .35 Whelens, I'm indeed well armed. My M700 Classic wears a Bushnell Trophy 2x7x32 and the 110 wears a Bushnell Elite 2x7x32. When out in the thick stuff with either .35 Whelen, the scopes are invariably set on 2X as most of my shots are quick and on moving targets.

358 Win

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
This gun has been fun since I love talking about and reading about them. A few things I learned: This one has a model 721 Remington receiver which I had never seen. This receiver was built from the end of WW II until replaced by the 700 in 1963. It has a safety so different that I thought it was broken when I got it. Once you put it in the fire position you have to lift the bolt in order to move it back to safety. They put out a fix in the 70's because a lot of people complained, and would change it for $20. I wondered when this one was put together and think the stock dates it somewhat. Also 1988 was the year Remington did the first factory Whelen and it was a model 700. So I figure mine was done after that.
If the 250 gr bullets do not stableize good in this gun I will drop back to the 225. I prefer the 250 because I am a little weird. I primarily shoot 225 gr in my 338 Win so would like to step up some for the Whelen. I tend to shoot a little heaver slug than a lot of people. I like the 140 in the 270, and 180 in the 06. I do not try for max speed, so cup and core bullets suite me fine.
358 Win, I see you like the 2-7X32 scopes also. It is a recent discovery for me. I have decided I really like them. I now have 2 of the Nikon's, and think they are great.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
You'll have zero problems with accuracy from either the 225s or 250s. Groups open a bit with 275/280s, but those are scarce as hen's teeth and not really necessary for anything in the Western Hemisphere. I really like IMR 4320, IMR 4064, and the long-discontinued RL-12 (yes, I have a couple of pounds left). My Remington 700 Whelen has 2 bears, 4 or 5 elk, and several deer to it's credit - I've yet to recover a bullet.

I use Partitions (225 & 250) a lot, but you'll get great accuracy and still more penetration than all but the largest elk need with the much cheaper 225 grain Sierra SPBT and the Hornady 250 grain SP.

Good hunting - the Whelen got enormous respect from kill results when I took it to northern BC some years ago.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
My Dad(80 yrs. old) shot his Maine bull moose with a Whelen last year. One shot thru the chest at 175 yards. It took 2 or 3 steps, stumbled and fell. I must say I was quite impressed(both with the Whelen and Dad).

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Arkie,
A 2x7 variable is my favorite power range. I have a Leupold VXI on one of my .32 Special Marlins, my Savage 99 in .300 Savage wears a VXII, my Rem Mod 700 in .300 Savage wears a Nikon Prostaff, my custom Rem Mod 700 in .358 Win wears a Prostaff, my Savage 110 in 30-06 also wears a Prostaff, my 7600 pump in .35 Rem wears another Bushnell Elite 2x7x32, plus the two Whelens mentioned above. My Win Model 70 Classic Compact in .308 Win wears a VXIII in 2.5x8x33. In my spare scope locker I have another Prostaff and VXIII, plus a Swift Premier 2x7x40. I have a Brunton 2x7x40 mounted on something, I'm just not able to remember right off on what. So yes, 2x7 is a great scope power. I seem to have gotten smarter as I got older, at least concerning rifle scopes. I have the usual high range 3.5x10x40, 4.5x14x40 (both mounted on .270 Winchesters) and a 6.5x24x50 (mounted on a 6mm). Just don't see the need much anymore to carry the extra weight while hunting deer, when my longest shot on 40 Whitetails has been a lazered 126 yards. and I was using the Savage 110 30-06 with the Prostaff mounted on it. Thanks for listening while I rambled on.

358 Win

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
biku324,
When Alliant announced they were discontinuing RL-12 in December 1998, I did the local gun shop circuit and bought an additional 19 pounds of it, all in LOT 012. Still have 16 pounds of it and since it's a double base powder, if stored correctly, it'll last almost forever. I don't use much of it in my Whelens, however it shines in the .35 Remington, .358 Winchester and best of all in my .300 Savages. In the .300 Savage it produces velocity close to .308 Winchester speeds and the groups astound me! My Savage 99 in .300 Savage thinks it's a bolt bench rest gun when fed RL-12 and the 150 grain WW Power Point bullet. I've killed deer with that bullet in the .300 Savage, .308 Win, and 30-06. The 150 WWPP is a pointed design but looks more like a semi-pointed than pointed. By looking at it you certainly would not think it's going to be a super accurate bullet but it is in every 30 caliber rifle I own without a tubular magazine. Sorry for digressing from the original topic!

358 Win

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have three rifles in .35 Whelen. A Ruger M77 sitting in a Ramline stock with 3x9 Leupold, Remington M700 Classic with 3x9 Nikon and a custom Mauser someone built up that I got at an estate sale. The Ruger and Remington sit is the safe commiserating the fact they're in the safe while that Mauser and I go forth and slay elk. The first set of loads I did in the Mauser worked so well that I've ignored the other rifle. I suppose I should do something about that. One problem is neither of those two like my pet load for the Mauser. That's 60.4 gr. of Re15, Remington brass, Winchester WLR primer and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX bullet. (CAUTION: That load is way over what's in any manual I've seen. It appears safe in my gun only.) Velocity is 2710 FPS at the muzzle and when it connects with an elk, it's lights out. I've tried the Nosler 225 gr. Accubond and Partitions in that rifle but it just doesn't like them, at least not yet. When that TSX bullet smacks into a thoroughly frightened elk running all out at 150 yards and slaps it down so hard in just about bounces, what's not to like? If someone says the .35 Whelen is a short range brush gun, tell that to the elk I took at 350 yards. FWIW, I've almost considered selling off my other rifles and just keeping the Whelens.
Paul B.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
biku324,
When Alliant announced they were discontinuing RL-12 in December 1998, I did the local gun shop circuit and bought an additional 19 pounds of it, all in LOT 012. Still have 16 pounds of it and since it's a double base powder, if stored correctly, it'll last almost forever. I don't use much of it in my Whelens, however it shines in the .35 Remington, .358 Winchester and best of all in my .300 Savages. In the .300 Savage it produces velocity close to .308 Winchester speeds and the groups astound me! My Savage 99 in .300 Savage thinks it's a bolt bench rest gun when fed RL-12 and the 150 grain WW Power Point bullet. I've killed deer with that bullet in the .300 Savage, .308 Win, and 30-06. The 150 WWPP is a pointed design but looks more like a semi-pointed than pointed. By looking at it you certainly would not think it's going to be a super accurate bullet but it is in every 30 caliber rifle I own without a tubular magazine. Sorry for digressing from the original topic!

358 Win
I still haven't heard why they quit making it, and my stash is dwindling.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I still haven't heard why they quit making it, and my stash is dwindling.
I've heard a couple reasons why but could not get the folks at Alliant to confirm or deny the reasons. One reason is the burning rate of RL-12 was so close to RL-15 that it was not cost effective to have two powders so close in burning rate. My testing of both powders has confirmed the closeness of their burning rate. Another reason was that BOFORS of Sweden was having trouble duplicating RL-12's burning rate from lot to lot. I've worked with lot numbers 003, 006, 011, and 012 of RL-12, and lot 011 was vastly slower than the other three lots I worked with. That is no scientific analysis by any means, but it gave me pause when I started working with Lot 012.

Since I have a lifetime supply of RL-12 Lot 012, if you are ever in my region, give me a call and I'll hook you up with some!

358 Win

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Remington as we know has as we know has dropped the 35 Whelen chambering. But was able to locate a dealer with some new old stock Remington 750 semis, and picked up a carbine. Should be here soon. Normally a 358 shooter. Had no problem finding 35 bullets and Whelen dies, will re-size 30-06 cases. Already have 180, 220 Speers, 250 Hawk FP, 200 Barnes X and 200 gr Hornady Spire Points and ordered some Speer 250. Anyway will run a bullet penetration/expansion test (wet paper and simulated bone) and post results in a month or so. If anyone has another .35 bullet they would like to see in the test, mail me two or three and I'll load them up and place into test.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Another .35 Whelen fan here :) I like it so much I often leave all other rifles at home even thouigh mine is a single shot breech loader.

Mine loves the Hornady Superformance 200 gr SP. To date I have had one animal, a 125 lb doe, run off after hit. It was an easy tracking job and for the life of me I have no idea how she made it almost 100 yards. All other have been DRT!

I have yet to recover a bullet either. You're gonna luv that cartridge

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Well, that's a great offer! We might go from NM to Maine to see rural New England on a drive from NM in a year or so, and I'll even buy you dinner!
biku324,
Sounds like a deal to me!!:eating: Let me know before you depart NM and I'll provide address/phone # so you can contact me with your planned route and I'll figure out a convenient place to meet!

358 Win

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
But Preacher, it's just a plain old .35 Remington, not an AI Improved. It does shoot like a bolt gun but I have only driven 200 grain HDY RN's to 2400 fps with my +P+ loads using RL-12. Might not meet your approval on the bigger stuff you go after!:biggrin: I had the triggers worked on both my 7600 pumps, the .35 Remington and the .300 Savage. Made quite an improvement in group shooting. They both break cleanly at around 4 pounds with some overtravel that I have gotten used to.

Uncle Bob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts