Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the same loads out today in order to verify the 35 Whelen with the 250gr PT's. My load is 60gr's of RL15, CCI250's and RP cases. Of course the excellent 250gr PT is stuffed on top. This load is very consistent and seemed to shoot pretty well. Again, it was hot, with a heat index of 105, so with the sweat rolling over my eyes, it made precision shooting a little tough. Anyhow, I ran three of them over the chrono in order to verify the speed and really, I wanted to see if I had any signs of sticky extraction of marks on the case.

The first three went 2676, 2676 and 2671. They fed and extracted smooth as silk! I was very elated. Accuracy was also pretty decent.

I ran another three across and came up with this

Well, since they seemed to be clicking so well, I decided to back it up some and see how they did at 250 yards. I figured if they shot well back there, they would be a proven load and I could be done messing with this rifle.

Maybe not the tightest 250 yard group I've ever fired, but way more than enough for any deer or elk I would be shooting. Overall, I am very pleased with the performance the Whelen is putting down, I would caution anybody to work up from 54gr's cautiously. Primer pockets are tight and there are no marks or primer flattening at all, but I know it is at the max limit I would want to push them.

It almost makes 338WM scared I am running so close to it. Granted the 338 has a better BC/SD'ed bullet, but for 400 yard shooting, I won't ever notice the difference. I am thinking the Whelen will get another shot at elk this Fall. I plan on pushing it out to 400 to determine actual drops and such, but I don't see much problem there on elk or heck, even deer sized game.

I was also able to pull a 250gr PT out of an oak stump used for my backstop on the 250 yard target. It was a solid 10-12" oak block, dry and tough. This bullet was just peeking out of the back of the block. With a little finagling, my pocket knife was able to free it. Here are a couple pictures of it.

Wow, that is one tough bullet! I haven't weighed it, but man, that is screaming for a shot at a moose or something of that size! After seeing that long shank for penetration and modestly sized mushroom, I wouldn't hesitate to take this rifle anywhere. Scotty

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice shooting and predictable bullet performance. Plenty of bullet and accuracy for 400 yd elk!

JD338

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Wow! That's under 2 MOA at 250 Scotty! I stopped at 54gr R15 in my 750 carbine and the Hornady 250RN. It shot right with my sierra 225 using 55gr of R15, but this rifle is intended more for the woods. I have some 225 Pt. loads that came with it, same general velocity.
I love Barnes X's in my 700, but I could hunt the world over with partitions and be a happy camper! Nice shooting too, how was the recoil for you?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally think the recoil is pretty mild in my M700 CDL. It has that big Limbsaver pad and again it isn't really alot of powder generally speaking. I really like this load and rifle alot. Knocked down a few animals with the TSX but I kind of like the big PT more. It has better shape and should carry just as far although it starts a little slower. I am a big believer in th Whelen so I have 0 doubts this load will get carried a bunch this Fall. Scotty

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Wow beretzs...that is some nice shooting at 250 yards. Ya gotta love those Whelens.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Wow Scotty, you got yourself a Groundhog to Grizzley load there! You could knock off Groundhogs @ 300yds grouping like that! Glad there are
more 35 Whelen fans out there besides me. I got started with the .358 Win and graduated up to the Whelen. I've got 250gr Speer Spitzers and
250gr Hornady RN bullets but have not tried them yet in my Whelens. Kinda like the 250gr RN Hornadys for the .358 Win. I did get 2400fps with the .358 Win Ruger Hawkeye with TAC powder. That speed is piddilly compared to what you got with your 700CDL Whelen. Just a word of
wisdom to someone trying your load, the Remington chambered rifles are L O N G throated but other mfgs may not be! That long throat reduces pressures compared to a short throated rifle. My remington 700 Classic is long throated, but my E.R. Shaw barreled Savage 110 is normal length. When I work up a Maximum load in the Savage, I'm sure it's fine in the Remington due to the longer throat. Remington made
them long throated to accomodate the longer heavier bullets which made the Whelen's claim to fame!
Bob

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob, that is a great point about the throat. Lots of room to the lands on mine. It is a great shooting load. I would love for someone to work with TAC and the Whelen and some 250's. I think it could match or exceed RL15, just haven't found a reason to try it yet. The nice thing is the 250gr Speers really mirror the PT's in loads and POI. Kinda handy for practice shooting and lighter animals that wouldn't warrant spending money of the PT. Scotty

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Scotty, I will be trying TAC in my Whelens with the 250gr Speer Spitzers, I just don't know when. But when I do I'll report directly to you either
by e-mail or PM. I just bought another mould for the .35 Caliber rifles so that's my next thing to do, casting some 215gr SWC bullets. The mould I purchased is a discontinued Lyman mould initially made for the .357 Maximum but I've found some older articles where it was tried in
the 35 Remington, 357 Magnum, and 35 Whelen with great success. That project is on the front burner right now. Another project in the works
is helping my best friend shoot some our cast bullets in his 45-70 Win 1886, his 38-55 Win 1894, and some 32-20 cast bullets in his Win Mod 43. We were just on the phone a few minutes ago making plans for the shooting/chronographing session. Depending on the weather, if it rains
we will also cast bullets out that new mould I just bought. So many bullets, so many loads, so little time!!!LOL
Bob

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean Bob. I am working on my 264WM, 338WM, just finished the Whelen, as you can tell. I still have some more load work with the 350gr Hornady's in the 1895G and the list goes on. I am never really done, but I would like to have my main rifles that will get used this year, entirely ready for the Fall.

Can't wait to hear about your loads with TAC. I kinda think it is going to do really well in the Whelen with 250's. If not, I bet RL15 will always work for you too! Scotty

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Scotty, so far the Mr Shorty .35 Whelen has responded real well to TAC with the 200gr deer bullets so I'm confident it will do fine with the 250gr
thumpers. I think my deer load this year will be the 220gr Speer FNHC launched by H335 to 2600fps as tested in Mr Shorty. I have a supply of
RL-15 in the powder locker but when tested with 225gr Nosler BT's in my 700 Classic it was just ho hum. Never tried it with 250gr bullets so I may be in for a pleasant surprise.
Bob

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob, I have heard the same. Some folks didn't do so well with RL15. I guess maybe just as with other rifles, some like it, some don't. I do know as you push the cartridge a little harder and come up in higher pressures, I seem to get better accuracy and more consistency.

I think those Speer 220's will be dynamite in the Whelen. I kinda wished I would have stuck with them for the 358 Win. They are very inexpensive and pretty accurate. I was able to pick up Nosler PT 2nds for about the same price, so I jumped on them! Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Doh! Correction on my 225 Sierra load; it's 55gr of Varget, not R15.(Safe in my rifle) I use alot of R15 and got my facts wrong. 54gr of Varget shot well with the Hornady 250RN also. I like R15 and H414 and Varget for Whelen and 9.3x62, good stuff.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those 9.3's are on my to do list. Seems like it would be a sweet rifle with those big 286gr PT's. More and more, I am liking the standard 06 like cases on the bigger bores. I have even looked at the Hawk cartridges a little. Pretty fascinating how efficient that case is when its neck is stretched out. Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
preacher said:
Doh! Correction on my 225 Sierra load; it's 55gr of Varget, not R15.(Safe in my rifle) I use alot of R15 and got my facts wrong. 54gr of Varget shot well with the Hornady 250RN also. I like R15 and H414 and Varget for Whelen and 9.3x62, good stuff.
Well, thank God for Notes...it IS R15 for the Sierra 225, it was the 9.3x62 that shot the Varget so well. Hey, since one can't get enough Varget into a Whelen to blow it up, I don't feel "too bad",ha. Information overload is a tough burden to bear!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Preacher,

Looks like .35 Whelen shooters also like the 9.3x62mm (about the same ballistically), I too am in the market for one. I have a call into a local gun shop back home to let me know when they get some in so I can start trying to figure out whether to have my wife pick it up (very touchy, I know) or just have them let me pay for it while I am over here and then pick it up when my deployment is over. Cant wait.

Chief

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Yep, not alot of diff between the two, although I feel the Ackley Imp. 35 Whelen is actually closer to the 9.3x62. I played with a rebarreled Model 70 Featherweight, 9.3x62, a few years back. I like the 286 gr Partitions in it. I gave that rifle to a former Youth Minister of mine, and he shot a 3x4 raghorn bull with it and that 286 Partition. It was awesome he said! The 250 grainers shot well also out of it also.
I promise, you get either one, the Whelen or the 9.3 and you won't ever mess around with a 338 winmag/etc! Be careful, thanks for your service! (I spent two miserably hot, tick infested, red bug plagued summer camps in Ft Hood with the Texas nat'l Guard, right after I got out of the Regular Army! '75,'76 104 first week, 107 the second) ha

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I second what Preacher said! If you can't find the rifle you want, build one! I doubt you would ever be unhappy with a good Whelen. I haven't jumped into the 9.3's just yet, but the Whelen is a truly great cartridge with alot of clout. Seems to be catching on some also. I see Buffalo Bore is making ammo for it now too. Pretty decent price for the 225gr Sierra's and 225gr TSX's. Scotty

·
Registered
277 Posts
Already have the .35 Whelen but like all knuckleheaded gun lovers I now want a 9.3x62mm. Still trying to logically reason why I need one...."hell I dont need one, I WANT ONE!" is the only answer I can come up with ;). That will have to do I guess.

I had some problems with my .35 Whelen misfiring reloads until I figured out how to fireform the brass and I only neck size them, shoots great now.

Chief

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
The CZ 550FS in 9.3x62 is a neat "Old World" style bolt gun. I gave one to my SIL (German descent, his Grandpa fought with Marshall Tito against the Nazi's) He put a 1x4 with the German #4 reitcle onit. Sweet.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those CZ's are sharp rifles for sure. Scotty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts