Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been volumes written on light loads. Has anyone tried this?
I cast some .35 soft lead round balls and pushed them through a Lee .311. The sides sheared off leaving a 60 grain round nose flat base bullet. The bottom punch left a thin "skirt" that I removed with a razor.
My intention is a short range squirrel and such load.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pat/Rick. I've read that article before. Good stuff! That was some of my inspiration for my round ball adventures.
There has been a ton written on the subject. I just haven't found anyone that has done the above with .35 round balls.
There's a thread here with over 50 pages of info on light 30-30 loads.

·
Registered
910 Posts
32 works better, you can even seat a gas check on them if you want, i have even cut open double ought buckshot and used those. i bet those you made will shoot just fine

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Pure or soft lead, I would suggest you coat them. Don't push them more than 900fps.

Push them too hard without coating and they will for a better word strip in the rifling making it lead up real fast.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
I once had a Lee reloading manual that had a section a loading round ball.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I just got my lyman 3118 mold today and will be trying some of these 115 grain through my 51 30-30 soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
I used round balls in my 38-40 when it was a smoothbore. Minute of grapefruit comes to mind. Also used three #1 buckshot in a plastic shot capsule in my 357mag. Shot several grouse with that load. The local warden showed that one to me back in the late 70's.

What you are doing I've never done, so am interested in how this goes...

Remember to keep the pics coming.

Jeff

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!
They are soft lead so I will take it easy on 'em. I wonder if they were harder if they'd shear as well. Hmmmm.
So many projects, so little time! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
You might try WW and let 'em rip. Most of the secret will be in proper fit. You might lube them on your nose as you feed them as seen in "Crossfire Trails" when Bo Durn takes out JT. Worst scene in the movie as far as I'm concerned, and I really like the movie. Seems like the writers could have come up with a better "drama" sequence than taking out the Kid!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
theMickster, sent you a PM.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Thanks Pat/Rick. I've read that article before. Good stuff! That was some of my inspiration for my round ball adventures.
There has been a ton written on the subject. I just haven't found anyone that has done the above with .35 round balls.
There's a thread here with over 50 pages of info on light 30-30 loads.

I don't remember who it was, but a member referred me to that site quite awhile back. I've been reading about reloading and am still getting stuff together. Alternative method's appeal to me for some reason. Please, listen to the other guy's like Swany, Sweetwater, and other's. They are very well experienced.

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
You might try WW and let 'em rip. Most of the secret will be in proper fit. You might lube them on your nose as you feed them as seen in "Crossfire Trails" when Bo Durn takes out JT. Worst scene in the movie as far as I'm concerned, and I really like the movie. Seems like the writers could have come up with a better "drama" sequence than taking out the Kid!

Jeff
Jeff,

WOW!............."Lube on yer nose"!...........I haven't heard that term in 35 years, since my grandfather died...........He used to do that with fishing rods, before he assembled them...............He taught me a lot..........some of which I now see I've forgotten........

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
I couldn't help going to Lee Precision and see if there was a ball mold for a 35 cal.... There is a .360" round ball mold. Curiosity made me wonder.
I'm going squirrel hunting in September thought making some squirrel loads for the 336-35R., might be fun. But I think some low velocity/light weight .224" lead bullets with a my Rem. 223 R. is more appropriate. Oh well I'll just use a 22 LR. if I could get ammo.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
My Pop's taught me the nose grease techniques with fishing poles as well, I still do it the same way. Never tried rubbing lead on my nose..................
Jeff,

WOW!............."Lube on yer nose"!...........I haven't heard that term in 35 years, since my grandfather died...........He used to do that with fishing rods, before he assembled them...............He taught me a lot..........some of which I now see I've forgotten........

Thanks,

Tom

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
I've got a lot of my education out of the movies - some of it applies and some needs to be quickly forgotten...LOL! My grandfather lubed a lot of stuff on his nose. Crossfire Trails reminded me of the "lost art"...

Jeff

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's some of them loaded up. One photo shows some 115F red dot powered. loads as well.
I pushed 60 grainers flush with the case mouths after a tumble lube with 45/45/10. After seating and lightly crimping with my Lee FCD I drizzled a little more lube on top and let dry. Ready for firing. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here's some of them loaded up. One photo shows some 115F red dot powered. loads as well.
I pushed 60 grainers flush with the case mouths after a tumble lube with 45/45/10. After seating and lightly crimping with my Lee FCD I drizzled a little more lube on top and let dry. Ready for firing. :)

Bring that target back! i want to see how this works out:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Now I'm going to check my box of round ball molds to see what sizes I have. This looks interesting.

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
882 Posts
I tried round balls with poor results. I think these will work. With more lead contacting the rifling they shouldn't strip as easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts