Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new to me 35 Remington coming, have Lyman 358315 mold. Anyone have any experiance with this bullet in the 35 Remington. The bullet is a 205 grain RNGC. Thanks Glen

PS any tricks to reloading the 35 Remington would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Hoo boy. Where to start.

First, what powders do you have available? What do you want to do with it, velocitywise? Deer hunting in your future, or simply lower cost practice?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be hunting deer and hogs. How fast would ww metal have to be pushed for expansion with a RN style bullet, Have IMR 3031/ 4064 / 4895 / 4198/ unique / 2400. I am not seeking high velocity but a load that would be effective and pleasant to shoot. I enjoy shooting and hunting with open sights. I am something of a primadonna to my friends. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
That don't make you a prima donna to anybody, just particular about obtaining your fun another way.

For straight wheelweights to expand appreciably, you must have an impact speed of about 1350 fps or higher. As this threshold is approached from the low end expansion is more of a widening of the bullet than a classic mushroom.

For hunting, depending upon range, a velocity of 1800 to 2000 fps is needed for downrange expansion depending upon just how far you are shooting.

For loads approximating those levels, forget the unique and 2400 and focus more on the other powders. I'd suggest, for instance, a range of about 33 to 36 grains 3031 to start, as it bulks well and offers usable velocity at reasonable pressure. 4064 and 4895 can work just fine, too, with 4064 being especially bulky. Its long granules look like 3031 but the powder needs a few more grains to achieve the same velocities, which is a point in favor of filling the case completely. Goal here is to obtain a filled case to near the base of the bullet while keeping pressure low and 4064 will do that.

What's the diameter of your cast bullets just ahead of the driving bands? What level of accuracy meets your needs? How far away will you be from your target?

·
Registered
728 Posts
These are my loads for .35 Remington:

Hornady 200gr Roundnose Interlock
- 38.0 IMR4064, Wolf primer, OAL 2.500", velocity 2000fps - this load will shoot 1" groups at 75 yards

Hornady 200gr FTX
- 36.8 IMR4064, Wolf primer, OAL 2.510", 1900 fps - this load will shoot .75" groups at 75 yards
- 37.0 AA2520, Fed 210 primer, OAL 2.500", velocity 1950 fps - this load will shoot 1.2" groups at 100 yards

This boar was killed with the FTX and 36.8gr IMR4064

THe 35Rem case won;t stretch much and case life is good. I've gone up to 8 firings on a case before trimming was necessary. I neck size until I anneal my cases. Most rifle cases (30-06, 25-06, 22-250, 300Sav, etc) I will shoot 5 times, then anneal, then full-length size. They'll be neck-sized for 5 more firings before annealing and full-length sizing again. Not the 35 rem.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
StretchNM said:
These are my loads for .35 Remington:

Hornady 200gr Roundnose Interlock
- 38.0 IMR4064, Wolf primer, OAL 2.500", velocity 2000fps - this load will shoot 1" groups at 75 yards

Hornady 200gr FTX
- 36.8 IMR4064, Wolf primer, OAL 2.510", 1900 fps - this load will shoot .75" groups at 75 yards
- 37.0 AA2520, Fed 210 primer, OAL 2.500", velocity 1950 fps - this load will shoot 1.2" groups at 100 yards

This boar was killed with the FTX and 36.8gr IMR4064

THe 35Rem case won;t stretch much and case life is good. I've gone up to 8 firings on a case before trimming was necessary. I neck size until I anneal my cases. Most rifle cases (30-06, 25-06, 22-250, 300Sav, etc) I will shoot 5 times, then anneal, then full-length size. They'll be neck-sized for 5 more firings before annealing and full-length sizing again. Not the 35 rem.
Stretch, are you shooting such low velocities because these particular loads shoot well in your gun? I'm just wondering, because I work to get an accurate load with the 200 gr RN of 2075 fps or higher, and for the 200 FTX of 2150 fps or higher. I have succeeded at achieving both of those. I have this "thing" where I don't want to shoot any jacketed bullets at under 2000 fps muzzle velocity.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think I stopped there, Halwg, when my accuracy was at its best. I probably should keep going to get some more velocity, but I haven't yet. Maybe those thoughts of yours on velocity will inspire me to bump it up a little.

Now, I did go a little over 2000fps with 38.8 and then 39.0 grains of AA2520. The accuracy was good, but not nearly as tight as 37.0gr, so I went back down. To be forthright, I didn;t really give the higher velocity loads a fair chance. I only fired 5 of each of those, when normally if a load shows some goodness, I'll work it a little. Maybe it's time.........

Sure killed that hog pretty quick though! (:)D))

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
"Sure killed that hog pretty quick though!"

It is certainly hard to argue with that statement, but I am somewhat sympathetic to Halwg's viewpoint myself. If the load is below factory load performance by a substantial sum and it features a high performance, streamlined bullet, then you aren't getting everything out of it that you could be.

More is certainly possible, and a slow streamlined bullet is kind of a contradiction. Halwg and I tend to push to see what's safely possible. And figure we can get good accuracy in so doing......and we often do.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Trooper Glen,
That lyman bullet mould you have is pretty much the 'old standard' for the 35rem. The older lyman manuals have a lot of data for that bullet from reduced loads up to factory duplication.

I think what 35remington said about IMR 3031, 4895 and 4064 is good advice. Of the three powders mentioned I use IMR 3031 the most. If I want a reduced load with that bullet I use 21 to 22 grains of RL-7. The more I use RL-7 the more I like it. You could go as high as 30 grains of RL-7 with no worries and should reach 2000fps with the lyman 204gr bullet.

Good Luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
35remington said:
........It is certainly hard to argue with that statement, but I am somewhat sympathetic to Halwg's viewpoint myself. If the load is below factory load performance by a substantial sum and it features a high performance, streamlined bullet, then you aren't getting everything out of it that you could be.
I agree, 35Remington. I was not arguing my case, rather just trying to add a bit of humor. I do need to increase that load some, I just haven't taken the steps yet to load it hotter and test it. In fact, had not Hal commented on it, I probably would have gone along happily with my light load for who knows how long! (:)D))

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Troop,
My standard load in the .35 Rem. with either 200 gr. RCL or the Lyman 358315 is 35 gr. IMR 3031 in Rem. cases, Rem. 9 1/2 primers. This is listed at 2 gr. below max and kills deer like "THE HAMMERS OF THOR" and ONLY doing app. 1950 FPS.(forgot the exact vel.) You don't need anything more than that !
I'm sure your car/truck can do over 100 MPH, but do you really need to?

Hip

P.S. Cast of pure WW.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
My Dad is like Hal in that he likes all the velocity that is available in any given cartridge. I was until a few years ago. I found out a few years back that a well placed well cast bullet will kill cleanly without all the bang and fuss of the heavier loads. We use way more power than we need most of the time. I don't own a rifle that I can't shoot a hundred rounds without worrying about a bruised shoulder. They are fun to shoot over and over. Your game is dead, your gun is happy - you should be fine with that.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
I would like to put in my two cents. It's not a bad idea to have top velocity so to get maximum range from your 35R. But as long you don't suffer accuracy. A fast bullet that misses the target is of no worth. I don't load cast bullet yet for rifles, but understand it's not a good idea to use one rifle for both cast and jacket bullets. Jacket bullet are design to work under a wide range of velocity. The HDY. #8 H. H. of C. Reloading states that the .358" 200gr. RN. Interlock has a muzzle velocity range of 1800 -2900 FPS. So if you 35R loads are 1800 FPS. M.V. and above and you're getting good accuracy at your hunting situation range, your good to go.

I have a load for my 336XLR-35R [FTX, h4895, 36.2 gr. WLR. printed velocity is 2000 fps. out of a 20" barrel.] so far this is a accurate load for me. The next time I go to the range I'll chronograph this load coming out of a 24" barrel.

T ;) NY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts