Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I haven't made many posts, but I have a question. A few weeks ago I bought a model 336 in 35 Rem. It dates 1972, and I beleive the rifle to be almost perfect condition. The metal has no marks or scratches. And I have found just a couple dents in the stock that are very minor. I beleive this rifle sat in someones gun cabinet along time, with know use. I have two other model 336's in 30-30. One is a 1870-1970, and the other was made in 1977. The 1977 model was my first deer rifle. My question is, I want to set the 35 up with a compact scope with low mounts. My 30-30's both have the see-through mounts with 3x9x40 scopes. So any scope suggestions will be appreciated very much. This makes my 6th Marlin. I have 4 lever rifles. one model 60 and a model 25MN. Thanks for any help...Ray

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My question is, I want to set the 35 up with a compact scope with low mounts.
By compact, I think 2-7x32mm. Redfield has a nice one that size. Set it up with a one-piece Weaver base and medium-height Quadloc rings. That'll be plenty low.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Hi Ray, I prefer a Leupold Var-XII 2x7 or Bushnell 1.75 x 4.5 on my scoped Marlin levers - I always use Leupold one piece bases and low or med rings, depending on scope bell. Straight shooting w/ the new "glass"!

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Firstly, lose the see-through mounts on the 30-30's. You can keep the 3-9X40's if you like, but mount them as low as you can over the bore.

Then if you want a 2-7X32 or a 1.5-4.5X32 for the 35, get another set of rings that will mount it low. You will be much better satisfied that with those "carry handle" see-through mounts that serve absolutely no purpose but to slow down target acquisition through your scope. And they are butt ugly! :eek:

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I think everyone who has see through mount set ups should post pictures. (not I). It would be interesting to see how high we could get Hal's blood pressue up to ;D ;D!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with losing the see thru rings ------ an old idea that needs to go away!!!! Lots of other options now.

You didn't talk budget constraints so I will offer the most compact with quality.

Low rings, warne or talley QR to be able to change out a scope with rings without losing zero. The newer Talley one piece ring/mount is also solid and light if you don't want the scope change option.

Lots of good scopes and you are smart to go "COMPACT" on this rifle. The leu 1x4 Var II is great, so are the newer leu compact fixed powers (really light and small) in 2.5 or 4x. Then there is always the more economical but really good Weaver V3 ----true 1x to 3x and a true bargain. If low light shooting is your concern, the Weaver grand slam 1.5x5x32 is really, really bright in the woods even though it is a little bigger (I gave up a little size to get the low light and clear optics on my latest marlin).

Those are my favorites but the bushnell low powers are good and more affordable along with the weaver V3.

Have fun choosing and DONT put your rifle on a BIG scope :D :D It's sinful!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Everyone for all the suggestions. When I bought the 35, it had a set of see-through mounts, and had a Simmons Blazer 3x9x50 on the rifle. This set up came off first thing when I got the rifle home. This scoped just looked to BIG for a lever rifle, to me. Thanks Again. Ray

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
fhmusa said:
I think everyone who has see through mount set ups should post pictures. (not I). It would be interesting to see how high we could get Hal's blood pressue up to ;D ;D!!
I'm working on a new rifle (.357) to take Whitetail hunting this fall. Something like that Blazer might just fit on it, if I can just get the thing high enough!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have them with both, low to the barrel mount with full length Leupold base/low rings with 1.5x5 or a 2x7 leupold (short length) a.nd old weaver see thru with the same scopes. Usually have the scope on 1.5 - 2 power unless I am hunting the edge of a field.

One of my buddy's has been using the weaver see thru mounts and a low powered scope on his 336/35 carbine forever. Motivated me to give it a try. The set-up works great for thick woods and tree stand hunting for shots under 80 yards (which is about a far as you can see in the thick woods or tree stand). At first it was not what I was used to. But with thick woods and varied lighting & weather conditions it works the best for me. With the 336 carbine I can get on target fast with the scope or the iron sights.

Both are accurate options from my experience.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
You said "compact". Thats easy...A Leupold FXII 4X in Talley "extra low" rings. You owe this to yourself and to your 35.

Don't let these Yay-Hoos talk you into anything less.

Heres my rounded up settings with an 18 1/2" barrel scoped with LeverEvolution:

25 50 75 125 200 250 300
.5 2” 3” 3” -1.75” -8” -20”

P.S. Thanks again to everyone on the forum who helped make the "extra lows" a reality through your contact with Talley.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm going to put those big UGLY see through scope mounts on all my Marlins and post the pictures here once a week just for You Hal ;D ;D Dennis

·
Premium Member
11,546 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Ray........

I have a Leupold M-8 2.5X compact in Millet 2 pc Turn-in rings and bases on my 35..............No complaints, in the last 25 years with this setup.

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
isnt there a bounty on see throughs?? ;)If there isnt,there should be...I vote for something that comes off fast,so you can put it up and use the Peeps 8) Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I love the old Weaver K4's, K3's or K2.5's on the Marlin lever guns. You can get any of them for about $75 on the auction sites. The ones with the post and crosswire are my favorite.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Bigman, If you are looking for a classic old school look, the gloss black scope does it. Whether you go with a compact 20mm or another short scope don't let them talk you out of the Talleys. ;D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will take a look at the mounts and scopes described in the posts. If all goes well, this rifle will be set up for swamp and thicket hunting. In Ga., this is where the big pigs live...Thanks Ray

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
You shouldn't need any more magnification than 4x. A straight 4x or a 2x-7x would just about be perfect and the extra low Talley's would look good. Damn I hate to agree with Jake. I remember something Bill Jordan said in his writings. He said that a 4x scope was all anybody really needed to hunt and I would hate to have argued with him.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you go 20mm scope I like the plain, old Weaver low rings. They are lower than the Leupold/Redfield/etc. bases and rings. They work great. They're inexpensive.
I like the Weaver K2.5 or V3, or the Leupold 1-4 or 2.5, in the low mounts. With these scopes they are quicker than open sights up close.
I had a Winchester M88 that some dunce had drilled and tapped for a (gasp!) side mounted, see through ring set up (good Lord the darn thing is already tapped on top :mad:) and had a great big ol' 3-9x50mm cheap scope on it :eek:.
I did shoot it a little with that set up on it and marveled at how in the world anyone ever sold such a set up. Still wonder that. They aren't any faster to see through (you still have a narrowed field of view), then you gotta line up your sights to shoot. I found them slower by a long shot than a low power scope, mounted where it ought to be. With just a little practice shouldering your rifle and getting on any target, a scope is easy to master with just one focal plane to concentrate on.
Done rantin' now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts