Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most Marlin folks know, Hornady put reloding data out that ran the .45-70 at 40,000 CUP for the 1895 Marlins. Well, Remington made the Model 760 in 35 Rem for years. I have a Model 760 in .30-06 and we know that those run at around 50,000 CUP. The rifle has no problem with max loads and ejects them very easily. Question: Has anyone run across .35 Rem loads that raise the pressure on up to match the potential of that case and newer stronger actions?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have run up the 35 Rem to max and used it in my 336D with no problems at all.
I don't have a chrony, but I have read where people who have used very similar loads were achieving near 2200 fps if I remember correctly.
The Marlin actions will handle the 35 rem at max with no ill effects.
Ranger

·
Registered
50 Posts
while loading max or up against it is very easily handled in any 336 in good condition. you will not find the same quality accuracy shooting it as you would a few grains of powder lighter.
I've been looking for a Rem 760 in 35 for awhile, unfortuneately the few I've come across are in "well used condition" beyond just character wear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Round Slammer -

Have to agree with you in terms of the notion that the strength of the action is really what determines how hot one can load a cartridge (and not the "strength" of the brass), and the 760 is not a weak action... but the jump from the saami 35000cup limit to 50000 cup intellectually seems quite large (almost a 50% increase?)... but having said that: didn't/don't the xp100 people generally load to 45000 cup? and isn't the xp100 action really a m760 (severely trimmed)? As such, I'd be looking for xp100 35 rem data [in all the std places: hornady #5, or before; Sierra 4P etc etc].

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
345 Posts
waknstak said:
I've been looking for a Rem 760 in 35 for awhile, unfortuneately the few I've come across are in "well used condition" beyond just character wear.
wak, Remington had a limited run of the model 7600 in 35 Rem. with a 18 inch barrel earlier this year for www.gricewholesale.com. I didn't see any 35 Rem's left but if you call they my be able to help you.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I don't think you'll find data that specifically states that it was developed to higher pressure levels in any source, lawsuits being what they are today. However, I have noted in my own load development for the .35 Remington in the Contender that no published data was too stout for the single shot pistol, and this gun does not handle pressure even as well as the 336 action. I think common sense would lead you to loadings that split the difference between the .35 Remington and .356 Winchester in velocity if you wanted to be on the safe side, absent any pressure measuring equipment.

With the 180's, I might suggest H322. With the 220's, H4895. Both produce casefilling charges with appropriate loads. I obtained 2311 fps from a 14 inch barrel with 180's using H322, and that should get around 2450 from a 20" barrel. With moderately compressed loads of H4895, up to 2200 fps was possible from a 20 inch barrel with the 220 Speer in the 336 Marlin. This should get you most places you want to go with the .35. Beyond that, we're all guessing.

Don't expect anyone to publish "+P" data anytime soon. There just isn't much demand for it in the .35 Remington. Published data has been on the mild to very mild side for some years now. The 760 is hell for stout and will take loads that should not be used in the 336. This leaves considerable "gray areas" in loading that some experienced users feel compelled to exploit. Be careful loading the .35 to accelerated levels in the 336. Its gas handling characteristics in the event of a case failure or primer leak are very poor, part of the reason lever actions are loaded to lower pressure levels in the first place.

·
Registered
664 Posts
.35Remingtons data is "spot-on" from my experience. I've run the 180gr Speer to 2,500fps from my 20" 336 (Win#748). I also routinely get 2,250fps-2,300 from the Remington 200gr RN C.L. over either H4895, or Imr3031. Though to be honest, accuracy is much better at 2,150-2,200fps (3-shots at ~1.0in.)

I had a Rem 760 in .35Rem back in late '80's. I used H322 with a Sierra 200RN, and Hornady 200gr Pt.SP, and got 2,350fps, but accuracy was 3-shots touching at 2,300fps. Can't find my data right now, but is was quite a bit warmer than the Lever action would be comforatable with.

I thought about reaming to .356wcf, but after shooting several deer with the 200rn Sierra and Remington bullets, I concluded that for practical .35 uses, the .35Rem with appropriate handloads is adequate for my purposes. If I need more "WHOP" than the .35Rem, It'll take a .338 or one of the .35Mags to show meaningful improvement.

A properly loaded .35Rem is just that good!

Thats why it still generates enough sales to keep new guns coming out, even though the factory ammo is loaded to pitifully low velocities.

A while back, "Handloader" magazine did a "profile" piece on the .35Rem. According to the author, there was an "Express" loading for the .35Rem back in the '30's that drove the 200gr bullet to a claimed 2,300fps. I don't think that we'll ever see that load again due to product liability and near 100yr old guns floating about. But, for those of us who reload, the "Express" loads in .35Rem perform better than the .30/06 at ranges under 150yds.

With the BuffaloBore ammo at 2,200fps for the 220gr Speer, this is a lot of gun and will meet any need for someone desiring to use the 'ole .35 for heavy/dangerous game and factory ammo. For those of us who reload, its an easy chore to get 2,200fps from the .35 with either H4895 or Rl-15.

Too bad Nosler dosen't make a .35 200gr or 220gr FN/RN partition!
These would be excellent for the .35rem, .357wcf, and 358wcf.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I load the 336/35 Rc made in '54 a lot higher than what the data from Hornady.
Both H335 and BLC-2 work fine with 42.5 gr. with the speer 180 gr. bullet. I do nort get any pressure signs. Use rem. brass and federal 210 m primers.

Other rifles with the micro grove bores , or the newer Marlins report, that 39 grs prove with pressure signs.

Point ,Have the gun in for a check up with a smith , then start slow andwork your way up.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Happy, my 35's are Microgroove, and I shoot 42.0 H335 with the 180 Speer. No pressure signs whatsoever, so I think the load is safe in a 336 with rifling of any type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
35 rem pos

Hello fellows.I am in Ontario canada.I dont post much but read a lot.Used to read and post on Marlin talk.Ya man she was getting pritty rough on that forum.Anyways this forum seems to be a lot tamer and more friendly.Also a broder range of topics.Ilike it a lot.I to own a marlin in 35 cal.I bought mine in 1962 as the serial number v indicates.First 3 digits 118xx.It is the 24 inch barrel and 2/3 mag.pistal grip 2xx walnut checkered stock.Mico grove barrel.Model336 A MODEL.Anyways she always been both a lucky to me and a very fine and accurate rifle.Always funtioned flawlessly, shot straight and true,and looks as good today as it did when i purchest it in 1962.except I lost the bulls eye years ago on the underside of the but stock.I guess if I write Marlin they would problely send me one.Yes sir she been a relly fine product.I have shot to many deer,a few bear and a moose with this rifle.I always recovered what was shot at.Most were 1 shot kills except the moose.1/1/2 old bull standing in the middle of a beaver pond.He took a mag full.Shot 6 shots hit him 6 times.He just made it to shore when he went down.Lucky for me,but not for him.Seemed like a long shot at the time.That was with open sites.Since then I have added a scope.Weaver4x.Yup she a tack driver.Always have used 200 grain rems.The last 14 years I have been reloading for the 35.I usually stick to the max in the hodgon manuels,witch are not really max as we all know but they shoot well and do the job.Never really need more power then that.Shot in my hunting area ,most are within 100yards.Some shots as close as 25 yards.A little to close with the 4x scope.My reloads are as follows,h4895,h335,3031.With 200 corelokts.H335 with 220 speer flat points.Yes she been a relly good tool all these years,and if they still built them like that one I buy another.Thats how good it has been.I have a 21/2 year old grand son now and I guess it has his name on it when Im done hunting with it.Im 54 and will be 55 in November.Hope he get the same amont of luck and enjoyment out of it that I have had.Ok men thanks for listening.Hawkin50

·
Registered
137 Posts
Enjoyed your post, hawkin50, and glad to hear such good things about Marlins, especially .35s. Mine is a 336SC with a 20" barrel and I really like it, but I'd take the extra 4" if given a choice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys.Yes the good old 336A MODEL in 35 rem yes sir she been a dandy rifle.Also hinda hard to find in 24 inch barrel.With handloads a fellow would have to be hunting some mighty big to really need more than a 35 rem in a marlin. Also have a 1894 20"44rem mag straight grip that ant no slouch neather with 240 grain xtp hornday reloaded.Theres a lot of fire power there also.10 rounds of hard hitin fast shootin.Im 5foot 10 inches tall and have never had a problem with a 24 inch barreled gun snagging on stuff or had it bump into thing in the bush while swing it on game.Wish they would make more malins with the 24 inch barrel.Guess it costs a lot to add that extra 4"s.Some like the extra 4" some dont.Hawkin50

1 - 13 of 13 Posts