Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Marlin 336 LTS 30-30, ''Marlin Limited'' TALO 1894s 44mag, Marlin 336SC 35 Rem
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with .35 Rem and it performance out of a 16 inch barrel?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You might want to get 4" closer to the deer. Seriously it should be no problem. I've got an SSK (JD Jones) xp-100 in 358WM with a 14" barrel and you probably wouldn't be comfortable standing downrange from the muzzle at 150 yards. I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Does anyone have experience with .35 Rem and it performance out of a 16 inch barrel?
I’ve used it in 14” and 18.5” barrels, does that count? What do you want to know? What loads are you interested in? Both barrels can shoot 2 moa or less with loads they like. Velocity is quite different, the 14” clocks about 220 fps slower than the 18.5” does with identical loads, your barrel should be in the middle. I‘ve used the Remington 150 and 200 CoreLokts mostly, both perform well on game out if either length. Factory loads with 200-grain bullets will be slow, the 14” gave just 1704 fps out of the 14” tube, probably not fast enough for decent expansion. The powders which give the highest velocities in long barrels will also give the highest velocities in short barrels.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I have one that I had chopped to 16.5", it'll group 5 inside a quarter at 75 yds. with some 200 gr cast and some 3031.
Two years ago that round plowed straight through a small buck that was about 80 or so yds. away.
I carry it way more than the 20" model JC Higgins also in 35.

Added a pic.

RP

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Back in the 1970's my hunting partner took many deer with his TC handgun chambered for a wildcat cartridge named the 357 Herrit. He made his own cases by cutting down 30-30 brass and opening up the mouth to accept .358 bullets. Although this cartridge is not as powerful as the mighty 35 Remington, it still hammered deer very hard. What's my point? Don't worry about velocity or energy figures found on paper charts because extensive tissue damage to the chest organs is what kills rapidly.

Good hunting to you.
TR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts