Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello marlin shooters.Hows everyone enjoying this unusal summer.Have any body tryed the horaday xtp 180 grain bullets in there 35 marlins.180 grain is the heavyest they make for the 358 as this is a pistal bullet.I have tryed and used them for years in the 44 rem mag 1894 marlin only in 240 grain and with 4759 powder .21 grains to be exact for 1600 f.p.s. and also these same bullets with a sabot in my t/c hawkin muzzle loader with 70 grains of pyrodex.Man these are deer stopper in the first degree.So my question is wonder have they would perform in the 35 rem/marlin 336 with a 24'' barrel traveling at say 2200 or 2300 f.p.s.I am thinking of buying a box of 100 and loading them up and giveing them a try.Any one with any expierence, how about you harry in innisville your not to far away from my place of res.I live in Kinmount ont.Ok talk late .hawkin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry that was happy not harry.ALSO emsdale not innisville.Sorry again please except my apologes happy. Hawkin.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Hawkin, it sounds like you need to buy those bullets and git to testing! If no one else had tried them, you can be our fearless explorer, and tell us how you like them. Sounds like a great deer bullet, I wonder if it's tough enough for hogs?

PJ the Curious

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello PapaJohn.Yes I thought that maybe I had posted a not to popular topic as its been kinda slow with replys.And yes I will give them a try.As I said they sure knock um down in the 44 rem mag and also the t/c hawkin,so I think they should be one great combination for the 35 rem.I have used horaday 200 and rem cor lokted 200 speer bullets ect.and yes they do run a ways after being well hit in the bolier room .Have shot many deer with these bullets both reloads and factory will do the job.But we have hunters all around and fairly close so if the deer drop where they are hit it does not cause as many problems as to hew shot the deer .Anyways if you check out the hornaday site under pistal bullets x.t.p they show 2 180 grain bullets one for hunting the other for siloute shooting witch is probely of harder construction.I think I will try the standard ones to start.They clame they will open up and not come a part as I have found out in trying them in the 44 and the 50.They also seem to be as accurate as I can hold the rifle as well as bench resting. Yes I think there the right ticket for deer.Your thoughts welcome,and other also.Thanks. Hawkin

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have you contacted Hornady about how these might act at much higher than Pistol velocities? It would seem to make a great long range bullet as in when velocity drops off but what would happen on a close in shot?

Apples and Oranges but a good buddy of mine still swears by 150gr ballistic silver tips. Even though he has had more than one blow up on a shoulder shot. My concern would be the same on the XTP what holds up at even 1800 fps may blow up at 2100.

I posted earlier about good Hog bullets in the .35Rem and no one cosidered the XTP my concern would be that because they should open up better on deer a shoulder shot on a pig may open up too much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello bman.I dont know where you live and hunt, down southern state I presume.Im from ontario canada and we do not have hog hunting here as I know of.Maybe on game farms.Dont know.We hunt deer and bear and moose.The bullet in question would be used on deer only.And the shot would be just behind the shoulder,threw ribs to heart and lungs.Not much resitance there and no meat damage.Was thinking about vel of around 1900 1950 fps.which are mostly starting loads for most powders listed for 180 grain 35 remington in hogdon #26 load manual.Should make for some easy recoil with good resaults.Most shots here are max 100 yards.I will buy some and reload them to 1900 1950 and try them for accuracy and peneturation on some wet phone books and see how they perform of course before hunting season.Anyway I have lot of time as our hunt starts the first week of november.I ll keep you all informed as to how they work out.Later Hawkin.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I haven't used the Hornady 180gr XTP but I have used the 158gr XTP. I used 43.0gr of H4895 and they chrono'd at 2,400fps from my 20" bbl. I have only shot one deer with the load. It performed well, but was a bit on the explosive side. I got complete penetration and a broad-side shot on an 127lb (field-dressed) doe. Exit wound was impressive at approx. 4" across. Much the same result as I get from a 75gr HP from my .257Roberts at 3,500fps.

However, that does not make it a particlulary good bullet for the application. It would not from my experience make a good big deer, or pig over 150lb load.

If you are going to shoot a 180gr bullet, BY ALL MEANS, USE THE SPEER 180GR FLAT NOSE "RIFLE" BULLET.

The only reason I tried the 158gr bullet was to explore the velocity potential of the .35 with a 150-158gr bullet weight. My experiments were a success as I found that if a 150gr RIFLE bullet ever appears on the market for the .35 (Yes, Remington used to sell them in component form, but not in past few years) I'll have a load ready to try them.

I would start with either 40.0gr of Win748 or either 4895 and work up. I found that I could go as High as 45.0gr of Win748, but accuracy fell off rapidly after 43.0gr. (This is for Marlin 336, or Rem m7, or 760 only- I have found the T/C Contender begins to have "sticky" un-locking before either of the above actions.

Possibly the existance of the Speer 180grFN, which some regard as "THE" best bullet for the .35 explains the "slow" response to your inquirey.

Please go ahead with your experiment. However, I suggest that you include the Remington 180gr HP pistol bullet (available cheap in bulk form) or the drammatically more expensive Nosler .357 Partition-Gold pistol bullet.

My guess is that the Nosler shold prove usable in the .35 in rifles, however, for the money, the Speer 180grFN rifle bullet will prove far superior for all applications. The Speer has a MUCH higher ballistic coefficient, and is suitable in the .35 for in excess of 200yds if properly sighted in (2.5" high at 100yds, zero at ~180yds, down 7.5" at 250yds; assuming a 2,400fps muzzle velocity and b.c. of .245).

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Goose.Thanks for the reply.My rifle has a 24 inch barrel Model 336 A.1962 manufacture Sieral # v118xx.She is a great shooter , always has been 2xx fancy wood .Walnut with motie carlo check rest.I have 748 ,h335,760.3031 4759imr, powders on hand to experiment with.I was thinking along the line of the starting loads for win 748 40.0 grains 38.0grains hodgdon h335 or 34.0grains imr3031.These loads run around 1900 to 2000 fps.Thats fast enough for my hunting as 100 yards in the bush is a long shot.I mean this is just out side the back door of my house.lol.Anyway it give me a reason to get out a shoot abit in the off season.Talk late and thank for your reply.Much app.Hawkin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts