Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time poster here, but been reading for a while.

I am in the market for a lever gun. I had a 336C 30/30 back in the 70's, but sold it. I was thinking about going with the 35 Remington, but after looking for components, I am having second thoughts. Looking on Midway's site, the only brass I found showed "Seasonal, out of stock". Looked on Graf and Sons, no 35 Rem brass. Now I am having reservations about that particular caliber. Maybe I need to look at something else?? Since I already own rifles in 44Mag, 223, 243, 25/06, 308 and 300 Win Mag, I feel that the 30/30 really won't fill a niche that isn't already filled by one of the others that I already have. Would I be better off going with the 444 or 45/70? Or am I maybe just not looking at the right places. I will probably never shoot factory ammo. What my idea was to do was get ~200 or so pieces of brass and that would probably last from here on out. I also looked at the 35 Rem tests that were done in the other thread and sort of settled on the 200 grain Remington bullet.

This rifle will mainly be used in the Arkansas Ozarks for deer. I might at some time have an opportunity to hunt hogs in South Ark, or black bear in NW Ark.

Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
35 Rem is a great caliber and a gun show should turn up plenty of brass, if not you can always pick your favorite factory ammo then save the brass. The 444 is very flat shooting and if you have longer shots then that would be my choice. The 45-70 is good for anything and there are lots of components available. So all three choices are very good and it is really up to you which is the most practical. Can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have shopped at Midway for the most part, but have to find brass sometimes at Graf's. Just down the road in the same state.

http://www.grafs.com/bulkByBagQty.cfm/startItem/1

They have the 35 Rem. in Winchester brass, and also have the 375, 25-35, 356, 444 and some others I have had trouble with at Midway. Midway sells out quickly and you will sometimes need to go the lesser warehouses. They are made seasonally. I have all of the above mentioned plus the 30-30, and 32 special. I would guess when it comes down to it, the 45-70 is my favorite. I have used the 30-30 for all my hunting till a few years ago, when I started to buy other guns. Problem with the 45-70 is the trajectory. Not exactly whiz-bang with the 35 either. Component selection is unequalled in the 45-70 and 30-30. After that you jump way down in availability of components, and knowing you will be able to find things 20 years from now. I have 500 cases in all the harder to find cartridges. Hopefully that will see me through. If you want dramatic effect on game at close range, get at least the 35 and work up! :D

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Cabelas has it in stock.

The 35 Rem is a great cartridge and very accurate. I have killed deer out to 200 yards.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
35 Rem is a great "deer/woods" cartridge. I collected brass by buying Remington 200 gr. Core-Lokt, factory ammo at Wal-Mart for just under $14.00/20 rds. I have practiced and hunted with the factory ammo and now I have over 200 rds. of brass to reload.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes sir the .35 Rem is a first class woods deer round. Components are available you just have to dig a little harder to find them than with a 30/30. A sweet machine like a 336 35 is worth the little extra effort.

Larry

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Start with the .35 then get the .32 spl and suddenly you won't have any problems at all[,findind .35's any way] :? the good thing about .32spl is if you have to you can make do with 30-30 cases and use 8mm bullets but I shoot alot of 30-30 and don't want the chance of confusion. Once you get into it and do some looking around you'll find it's not hard to find .35 rem components.A lot of guy's don't bother reloading them and throw them away at the range so keep an eye out if you have one[a range!]Shootrj2003

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. This makes me feel a little better about ordering one. I have about $400 or so in Wally World gift cards that I have accumulated over the last 6 months or so, and what better way to spend it than on a gun. I think I am going to order one. I am going to keep an eye on this board, too. Looks like lots of good info on Marlins here.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that you can use 357 pistol bullets in the 35 Rem. for plinking and varmints. Mine shoots Rem. 158gr HP's great and they are pretty reasonable in bulk, makes for some cheap shooting. Also check out the posts by 35remington here. He's given us some great data and info! Great caliber, I think you'll enjoy it especially if you reload.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mr Chitlin, I think that the assumption that a larger or faster cartridge will naturally do anything, and do it better, than a smaller or less powerful cartridge is faulty thinking. As well, I think it is the demise of such cartridges as the 35 Remington.

I don't know about where you live, but here in Alabama and Georgia, lots of people are hunting within 200 yards of someones home, often less. Small wooded lots and small cultivated areas are perfect for such cartridges as the 30-30, the 35 Remington, even the 44 Mag you already own. Yet I see folks i such situations with the likes of 300 Win Mags. Makes me danged uncomfortable.

Yeah, the 243 and the 25-06 are fine deer cartridges in their own standing, but I do not for a moment think they replace the 30-30 or the 35. On the contrary. If you look at cast bullets, there is a far greater selection of bullets for these two than for their smaller diameter brethren, making them very chep for plinking. I am shooting a 357 Maximum rifle, it performs very like a 30-30 and only gives up to the 35 Remington 150 fps or so. Using the Lee 357-158-RF bullet, I am shooting the rifle for a cost of about 3 cents a pop. That's 3 dollars a hundred. I can't shoot 22LR's for that. This is a rifle I hunt with, so all my play doubles as serious practice. At 2000-3000 rounds per year each, I know this and a couple of other rifles better than many ever get to know one rifle.

Finally and perhaps most importantly, how many deer hunting situations have you ever been in that a 30-30 or 35 Remington wouldn't have sufficed? Being an eastern woods hunter I've never seen it, even though I once carried such hot rounds like the 30-06. Anyone who knows, knows that the 30-06 is a LOT of gun. I haven't owned one is over 10 years now. I know such situations and hunting does exist, I just think it not the norm.

As to varminting, part of the challange is to shoot long distance. Helps to build wind reading skills and trajectory skills. So take away the advantage of a hot number like the 243 or 25-06 and replace it with the 30-30 or 35 driving light weight pistol bullets at very high velocities (for such bullets anyway) They will be quite deadly on varmints, as well as make you work a little harder for the shot, which will make you all the more competent on that once in a life time trophy shot, or the snap shot you are offered on a meat deer the last day of season.... perhaps the only deer you've seen to that point.

These old cartridges obsolete or dated by younger more powerful cartridges? Nah, just undervalued.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts