Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
My plains game safari in 2017 was also with a .30-06; very effective on my 5 animals, when I did my part...... The hunting conditions and game we took ranged from a "close-in" 75 yards out to just short of 400 yards. With my .35 Rem, all but one of my animals would have been beyond ethical range. ALL 5 animals (impala, kudu, zebra, black wildebeest, red hartebeest) would absolutely be within the killing power of .35 Rem, but I would have had to limit my shots to 150 yards or less.
My brother and I are going to South Africa again and Namibia in 2023. I will be bringing a bolt action .35 Whelen. THAT feels like the right .35-er to me.....

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Like Winklerrob said, the issue would be distance. When hunting plains game, shots are often beyond the ethical reach of the 35 Remington. When hunting dangerous game, if done right, you will be plenty close but...........

I've hunted both and I really like the 35 Remington (I have quite a few rifles in that chambering) but, when considering the expense to hunt Africa and the fact that if you draw blood you pay, whether the animal is recovered or not, the 35 Remington is a questionable choice.

T.S.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I personally would not recommend the 35 Remington on a first safari.

But now that I have been twice, I absolutely would make the hunt as much about the rifle/chambering as I would about maximizing my chances.

I have thought more than once that I'd like to go back for a third trip, and take either my .348 A.I. or my 45-70 (for PG, not DG!).

It would be more challenging, but a normal evolution after having taken 18 animals on the continent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally would not recommend the 35 Remington on a first safari.

But now that I have been twice, I absolutely would make the hunt as much about the rifle/chambering as I would about maximizing my chances.

I have thought more than once that I'd like to go back for a third trip, and take either my .348 A.I. or my 45-70 (for PG, not DG!).

It would be more challenging, but a normal evolution after having taken 18 animals on the continent.
I generally agree, it would not be the rifle for a first hunt to Africa, but subsequent hunts it would work, as long as you limited the range. I am planning on heading back to Botswana in 2024 and am considering taking it with me.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
i was looking in the barns loading manual a few years ago in a gun shop, they had a 22 hornet they took to Africa. they were killing medium size deer critters with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 94win30wcf
1 - 11 of 11 Posts