Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my nice and shiny new 35 rem 336SS came in yesterday and I picked it up today. Boy oh boy, I wanted another 35 but wasn't sure about stainless, the GG size was the seller. Now that I have looked it over and held it in my hands I wouldn't trade it for any other. The wood is great. Still waiting to see if I get the second one or not.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$540 with tax. $499 without.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
biglmbass, Have you sent your's back to Marlin yet? When I sent mine I included a note that I was dissappointed in the lack of character in the wood. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

SS

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wood looks good, fit is very good, will take some photos when I get home tonight and post them.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the pictures, sorry they are late but I went elk hunting.

G

·
SS;

I've noticed something terribly wrong with your 336SS.

I believe that the best thing to do would be for you to send it to me so that I can take a closer look.

I'll get it back to you just as soon as I'm sure you'll be okay.

:wink:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
That bottom pic with the shadows in Magazine cover material. Save it.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I was really pleased when I opened the box.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
SS

When I got mine it was stiff to operate. I oiled the moving parts and cycled the action a lot. It's smoothing up nicely. When deer season is over I will remove the scope and run a few hundred rounds through it. Once I accumilate enough brass I will develop a cast bullet load for it. It's a very nice rifle.

I wish Marlin would make one like this in 30/30. If they don't I may have to make one by hack sawing down a full size one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sidespin,

Sorry for the late reply. No, I haven't sent mine back to Marlin yet, I plan to take it back to my dealer when I pick up my 1894 .357 LTD. (Possibly this weekend) I'll have them ship it back for me, as they told me they'd do. I'd just as soon not have to fool w/ shipping it back myself. I've got other new toys that I'm enjoying playing with and am therefore not in a real hurry to get the Marlin fixed and returned.

Regarding the wood, mine looks almost exactly as the one in the above photos. Nicely executed, straight, plain, and devoid of any character. (No offense the the owner of the pictured rifle) It'll do, it's just not anything fancy to look at. I've seen many Marlins with really nice wood and I'm just surprised they didn't use any of it on these limited edition rifles. The pic below, shows what I would have liked to seen on my gun. (Gun is not mine, BTW... & FWIW the scope on this is entirely too big)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a stock set very much like that but alas it is for a Pistol Grip 45-70 and all mine are straight stock. (I took it off one I was selling and put other wood on it.) The fit is not right for the forearm due to the difference in size of the mag tube to put it on a 35. You are right about the wood on the one you posted being very nice. Only other one that looks that good (actually 3) are my 44-40 1894's from the centenial, 2 are employees editions. Because this rifle will be a shooter I am quite satisfied with the wood. Suspect you would need to talk to Marlin and see what they would charge to do select wood on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question from an Aussie member.

I can't find this 336SS .35 Rem on the Marlin website and am wondering if it is a special run/limited numbers type thing. I am very much hoping at least one (mine) will actually make the trip to Aus.

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts