Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one today while I was out and about at the pawn shop. AD makes it pre-safety and early 1968, didn't give it a good going over but I would have to say in very decent shape for being that old, stuck a piece of white paper into the ejection port and for what I could see in the barrel (she was clean) there is strong rifling, bluing good, as well as the stock, no noticeable cracks or chips. Bubba put the sling swivel in you know where! and has a tube mounted front sling, it also had a base and older Weaver (I think) scope mounts. Price guess anyone?? I might just go and get it!! ;)

Also saw 2-336Y at a sports store in Appleton, $399.99 listed, one was pretty nice looking and the other one was put together at the Helen Keller school for the blind, :eek: :eek: the forearm at the receiver had at least an 1/8" gap and some sort of jagged edge was on the stock, looked like hell, what an embarrassment! ::) both with the MR91 serial number. Mr fixit ;D

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Re: .35 Remington Price check!

I saw a 336 C in a pawn shop yesterday - 35 rem - 3-9 scope, sight-thru mounts - pre-safety - very clean and unscratched, $339. I need to go home and see if mine is gone - I have the twin.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts

I gave $330 for my 1967 RC in great shape. It also had a base and good rings. Sounds like you've found a winner.

·
Registered
320 Posts

I paid half again that for my '54 RC Ballard rifled Texan but feel fine. ;D

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: . .35 Remington came to Papa today!

Went back there with a bore light this time, (already convinced myself) checked her out some, Everything seemed good for her age. Asked the gal there if they could do better than the $299.99 on the price, quick look at the tag she says "NO". Well, I'll take it anyway as I have a hole between the 30-30 and .375 that needs filling! :D We commence the paper work and NICS checks she comes back to inform me that someone (an employee) has walked off with the keys to the lock and they can't get any guns out. ::) I tell her I'll pay for it, you tag it sold and when you find the keys put it in back, I'll pick it up tomorrow. By now I figure I've stood in line for 15 minutes to be waited on, then the check and now the lost key....what else? She comes back to me says she called the manager and he'll be about 15 minute, so we call in the check and I'm good, she starts ringing up the sale and I hit her with "ARE YOU SURE... there isn't some sort of senior citizens discount....after all she is 43 years old" :D :D She come back from asking someone in the back and says "We'll eat the tax" $299.99 OTD SOLD!! Mr fixit ;D ;D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: .35 Remington Price check! Void is now filled!

You got a good price, and it looks very clean. Now you can join Team 35 - Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts

Nice job on the 35 Rem. You got a good deal for that price. You'll be happy you bought it. Best caliber available.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

great looking rifle...VTDW can sell you a bullseye to fill that hole your formal owner put the sling swivel stud into

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Good scoop. I like the tip-off mount. Wouldn't mind finding one of those for myself.

I'm doing the northern Wisconsin circle tour beginning tomorrow. Hoping to find something.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha, There's still two 30-30 sitting at the pawn shop here, both going around 299.00 one pre-safety the other has the cross bolt hammer block and today I noticed a gritty feeling on the barrel & mag, light rusting going on. Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
You did good! I would consider that a real good deal! Lools like the bluing is good and has some nice wood to boot! My favorite 336's are from the 60's and 70's era.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Mr Fixit,
You did good.Nice lookin Rifle.It even has the discontinued Weaver pivot mounts on it.I always liked those as you can use your irons without those super high (and ugly)see thru's.Let us know how she shoots.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, she cleaned up very well although I really didn't need to clean her. Who ever own this rifle took great care of it, there wasn't a speck of grime in either the barrel or the mag tube, I'd have to say that it was cleaned after season, put away and had to hurt the owner to give her up, maybe the owner passed away and nobody else wanted it? At any rate she sits here with me and will be taken care of until it's my time. I thought of making it a straight grip and probably still can if I get the numbers re-stamped, but..........................I'm leaving her alone and will continue looking for my project donor. Mr fixit

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was some old build up in the receiver but little else where, here is what the mag tube looked like the barrel the same, nice and clean. Mr fixit

·
Registered
451 Posts
For you characters doing the northern Wisconsin tour, I may be able to save you some time, since, living in northern Wisconsin, I did the local tour last week. Dug up a '51 RC, 49 A, 1947 vintage 39A, 78 vintage 39M, and a 35 (vintage currently forgot, but it's pre-gold trigger). And there was a 36 A around, but I think it's gone now. If you're interested let me know and I'll dial in the grid numbers for ya, I bought the little 78 vintage 39 Mountie, so I'm currently out of the "chase the old Marlin" game.
BTW Mr. Fixit, ya did good! I picked up a nice 51 SC last year locally. I see quite a few 50's vintage Marlins that come out of the woodwork. If ya let me know your poison, when I see it I can notify you.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Nice! Great find, went from one great home to another. ;) DP

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That is a nice looking 336 you got there. Would serve you well as is or could be the basis for a re-bore or short rifle project. Congratulations on your latest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts