Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can one of you knowledgeable guys tell me what year this 35 rem was made. The serial number is AA12574. A local pawn shop is selling this gun for $150.00 with a 4x scope.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you going to buy it? If not where is this local pawn shop?

Popped over to Savage99.com and under their dates of manufacture they say 1965. That I'm sure is based on the letter code as I only put in 4 x's after the letters.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Bman is right , 1965.

What condition is this rifle in? $150 Sounds like a great price assuming the condition is 80% or better. Be sure the bore is good and the action is smooth.

SS

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, thanks for the information on this gun. The wood on this gun is in pretty good condition, except the forearm is a little loose and There is some minor rust pitting on the outside of the barrel and some bluing is worn on the side of the receiver but the mechanical condition and the bore appears to be in excellent condition, in fact I don't think it has had that many rounds fired though it. I live in Utah and 35 rems are not that popular here.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well the lack of popularity is sad. IMO. Just look thorugh the pages of this forum and the number of .35 related posts. But if that makes them cheaper where you are snatch up as many as you can get!!

My understanding is that compared to say 30-30 the 35 hits some harder in factory loadings and tends to be a little more accurate. So far this has born out in my experience.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I went back to the pawn shop and bought this gun, $150.00 out the door. Here in Utah most people prefer the mash-em magnums that will shoot across some of our vast expanses, I own a few of the magnums but I really have an affliction for these marlin lever guns.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Same here Wyatt! Most lever action calibers are not highly desired around here, because of the demand for flat shooting high powered cartridges and guns chambered in them.
I saw a .35 REm 336 made in 1950 for sale here last month. The seller was asking $150 for it, and it was a very nice gun! Last weekend I bought a 336RC chambered in .30-30 for $100 at a local show.
Good luck with your new toy! Hope it's a shooter!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Anybody find one of those deals and not want it, post it here. I'm sure it would be appreciated. [Hint hint] Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wyatt how about supplying us with a nice pic of your new .35? I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but when I see a post about someone's new .35 (or any cal. marlin) I have just got to see a pic of it or depression sets in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
35 Hunter, I wish I could post a pic of this gun but I dont have the right equipment to do that. I took this gun apart when I got home with it and the action is in real good condition but I may have rebarrel it, there is some light pitting in the end of the barrel. The guy at the pawn shop said this gun had been on their shelf for 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
You scored...big time! (I paid $250 for a 1972 vintage 336 with Williams 5D receiver sight about four years ago in Wisconsin.)

Clean it up and shoot it before you make any decisions about major modifications/repairs.

Pretty is as pretty does. If it shoots well, who cares how it looks?!

Mine has O.K. wood and a scabby (exterior) barrel. But it functions and shoots just fine. It has character...and antelope and forkhorn Mulie in wide-open Wyoming so far!

See how she does and love her for what she is.

G

·
Wyatt, I agree with StillHunter, shoot it. Shoot it a lot, and see what happens. Barrels can have all kinds of ugly things inside and shoot just fine.

Also, if it is really close to the end you can shorten and recrown the barrel, something guys like to do anyway.

I bet the gun shoots perfect the way it is.

Grizz

·
Registered
482 Posts
My very first Marlin was/is a '48 vintage 336A. It had been reblued at some point and some idiot drilled and tapped the side, yes side of the receiver for a scope mount. After I got it home I had my first opportunity to examine the bore condition. (That is another story.) To my utter dismay there were 4 areas of heavy pitting. In fact I had to knock the rust off those spots. I did thoroughly clean the bore and shot it with two different factory loads. I fire one or two to see where the sights were and then shot the last nine rounds I had 4 of one load and 5 of another. All 9 of those were in a neat 1 1/2" group. This was propped up on my hood at about 40 yards. Mostly to see if I could ever hope for any real accuracy. I have shot 50 yard 3 shot groups you can hide under a quarter. Not always but often, even loads she doesn't like much shoot well enough for hunting.

ALL THROUGH AN UGLY BORE.

I sincerely hope you have a similar experince. If I had used some of my current loads I would have figured the accuracy was due to bore condition. The lesson I learned was to treat every rifle like it can shoot sub MOA with the right load and work to find it.

BTW so far with my .35 the factory Remington 200 gr load is the most accurate. Keep us posted as to how it goes for you.

B.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I concur with the other guys, absolutely don't do anything till you shoot it. Hopefully, you also reload. Check this and the Beartooth bullet site for reloads. You will soon discover that with reloads you can conservatively turn that "old 35" into a whole different animal. I personally know a large Missouri 8pt who had the after burner kicked in at 175+ yds who wished he hadn't met my "old 35". Went thru him like he was butter, big hole in and real big hole out. Mine has numerous pits and loss of bluing, so when weather gets bad, guess which gun I go to!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts