Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give me the pros & cons of each.
Let me know your first-hand experiences as well as any game you've taken with them.
I own a 336 in .35 Rem and a Win 94BB in .375. I do not reload yet.
Just trying to decide which one to use this Fall. I have plenty of ammo for both and will be using open apeture sights. Accuracy with both is around 2" @ 100yds. Most of my shots will be under 150 yds with many being less than 100 yds.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
At the ranges you will be hunting either of the choices will more than do the job. I would be leaning towards the Marlin :wink: I have shot deer with the 35 Rem out to 200 yards and they just folded. I dont have a 375, but I do have a 38/55 and with hand loads is very near the 375. The 38/55 is a fantastic cartridge also and knocks deer dead. My longest shot with it so far has been around 160-170 yards and the dont move. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Read the posts done by 35Remmington on the 35 rem, a lot of data in his two reports that may give you a better idea about it. As for the 375 a great round if you reload but getting harder to find off the shelf.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've used both at deer and hogs at 100 yards and they both hit hard at that distance. I would say flip a coin. Myself would be the 375 just because its kinda unique to a non-Marlin guy who has maybe not even heard of that cal. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

SpikeMaster49 :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They both shoot so good.
The 94BB is a little lighter.
I know the .35 will drop em dead and I've never met anyone shooting a .375 that complained about the performance on deer,hogs or black bear.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
This thread begs to be tempered by the resident expert on the .375, that would be coyote hunter. If we keep this one toward the top, he will contribute sooner or later.

SS

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sidespin said:
This thread begs to be tempered by the resident expert on the .375, that would be coyote hunter. If we keep this one toward the top, he will contribute sooner or later.

SS
I'm all ears! :D

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I can get nearly 2400fps out of my 375 with 220gr. Hornady at a max dose of 1680. Best accuracy is at about 2 gr. less, but there is no doubt that the best power and ballistics belong to the 375. I do have a long barreled 35, and do like it very much. A powerful, yet reasonable load with it would run 2200 with a 200gr. bullet. It can be loaded up way beyond the factory loading, and does very well also. I just don't think it goes near this close in performance. They really are not all that much different.

My brother has the BB 375, and its better with cast (by a long way) than mine is. It, however, is limited to iron sights, and shooting at 200 yards, I prefer the ability to use a scope. He has the same choice that you do. Marlin 35, and a Winchester 375. He chooses the 35 every time. I prefer my 375 with both being Marlins.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Choose between a MARLIN 35 & a WINNIE 375???

The Marlin, of course :wink: .

I own both the Marlin375 and the 35. For hunting, the 375 has a slight edge. For all around use including lots of shooting time at the range, the 35 has the edge. Based primarily on availability of components for reloading. Both are great rounds to me, though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leverpuller said:
Do I really have to give my choice? :wink:
Nah, this isn't really a "choose one" topic.
I'm just trying to get info from folks who have used them both.
I realize the more I read that I do need to RELOAD.
Both of these calibers will benefit from it.
Anyone else wan to add their 2 cents?

·
Registered
440 Posts
good ol' 375W

I got Ranch dog to compare the 35 Rem/ 356W and the 375 W.
Refer to (the shooters form)
He posted some graFfs so you can compare the three rounds . Not much differance over all , but I think the 375 has it in more energy.
I suppose you can change the loadings from his and come up with different tables. The point as a reloader one can be loaded up to the door of the other
I would think if one could throw a rock the same distance , I would want to throw the biggest .
What concerns me !!!!! How much longer will components like bullets live for the 375W?
This question stops me from buying a375W

Happy

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: good ol' 375W

Happy said:
I would want to throw the biggest .
What concerns me !!!!! How much longer will components like bullets live for the 375W?
This question stops me from buying a375W

Happy

There are over 20,000, 375's out there...1) there won't be anymore..? 2) for an ammo company to ignore this number...because at one time or another all 20,000 owners will need ammo!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just glad I got my .35 Remington so there is no hard choice. Now if you had a 38-55 as well, you would really be pondering which one to use.

The .375 Winchester

I was visiting and hunting with a very good freind this last weekend. He has a BB94 and I was very tempted to ask to use it. But having my own 336 .35 Remington with 200-gr Rem Corelocks along, I wasn't under-gunned should I have needed it for a shot at a mule deer.

But seriously, if I were you, I would get the reloading componants together for that straight wall cartridge :p Work with your loads and shoot the heck out of it.

The All-American Lever Gun

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Sidespin said:

SS
Sidespin -

Thanks, but I really don't have any experience with factory ammo in either cartridge. My Marlin 375 came with a box of "factory" ammo with a Winchester headstamp but it shot so poorly that I think it was probably reloads. (It was by FAR the most inconsistent ammo I have ever chrono'd.)

Looking at WFR’s requirements and assuming deer are the intended target, I would have to go with the 35 Remington for no other reason than it’s a MARLIN and I don’t care for the Winny’s. Bigoted, I am.

I tried to look up the specs on Remington 35Rem ammo but their site is down. Winchester makes both the 35 Rem and 375 Winchester ammo and Federal makes 35 Rem ammo. Turns out Winchester uses a 200g projectile for both cartridges, as does the Federal for their 35 Rem ammo. Here’s the specs for the factory stuff, all zeroed at 100 yards:

35 Rem
Winchester 200g, 2020fps/1812fpe @ muzzle, 1646fps/1203fpe @ 100, 1335fps/791fpe and -12.1” @ 200
Federal 200g, 2080fps/1921fpe @ muzzle, 1697fps/1278fpe @ 100, 1374fps/838fpe and -10.7” @ 200

375 Win
Winchester 200g, 2200fps/2150fpe @ muzzle, 1841fps/1506fpe @ 100, 1526fps/1034fpe and -9.5” @ 200

You can see the .375 has an advantage in energy and trajectory. So far I have only taken one animal with my 375 and that was a buck antelope at 167 lasered yards. Hit it behind the shoulder with a Hornady 220g. It took a death leap and collapsed. But I think a .35 Rem would have yielded the same result.

Flip a coin?

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
I've got a 38-55CB that I load very stout it does equal and exceed the .375 with 250gn handloads. It knocks deer very dead, my .35 Rem does the job also, but I do handload 158gn XTP Hornady pistol bullets in it 33gns of RX7 it prints an honest 1.5 group at 100yds that load is very devastating on white tailed deer. Jelled lungs and nothing left on a heart shot. Get to handloading and expierience your fire arms potential.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Montanan said:
Just glad I got my .35 Remington so there is no hard choice. Now if you had a 38-55 as well, you would really be pondering which one to use.

[I have a remingon 35 in a Marlin and just love the gun. I mainly shoot stell plates using lead tipped reloads.
I also load the speer 180 which I will be using this year in the deer woods.

Reloads really make the 35 shine.
For the Marlin levers reloaders have got to with in 100FPS of the 356W
A few lads like the 3855.Most people I see use them in the Cowboy shoots. If you look at the charts you see that the 3855 does not have much horse power at 150 yards so it is not in the same leage as the 35's and the 375W. That is with factory ammo
I am told now the reloaders have cranked up the powder of the 3855 equal to the 375 W.
Well how much could the reloader achieve with the 375W.

So all the horses still appear about equal at the starting gate.
The cost per round maybe a factor if you do not reload

As far as Winchester / Marlin goes, it more of a preferance . I have both.
The Marlin is a smooth operating lever and easy to clean.
The winchester make a bit more noise , and the older units liked to dump the hot emptys on my hat . But I still love to use them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The .375 Winchester - Excerpt

By Chuck Hawks

The .375 Winchester is based on a high pressure version of the .38-55 case, with thicker case walls and a stronger head. Although its case is .065" shorter than the old .38-55 case, .375 Winchester brass can be used for .38-55 reloads if necessary. The reverse is not true, however.

The single .375 Win. factory load from Winchester drives a 200 grain Power Point bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2200 fps with 2150 ft. lbs. of energy. The figures for 100 yards are 1841 fps and 1506 ft. lbs. At 200 yards, by which the .375 has pretty well reached its practical range limit, the velocity is 1526 fps and the energy is 1034 ft. lbs. Winchester's handy game selector lists the 200 grain .375 factory load as a deer and black bear cartridge.

Hornady figures, in the 6th edition of their reloading handbook, show that their 220 grain FP Interlock bullet can be driven to a MV of 1800 fps by 31.1 grains of RL-7, and to a MV of 2200 fps by a maximum charge of 38.0 grains of the same powder. Hornady used Winchester cases and WLR primers in developing these loads. The muzzle energy of a 220 grain bullet at a MV of 2200 fps is 2364 ft. lbs., and the trajectory looks like this: +2" at 100 yards, 0 at 150 yards, and -5" at 200 yards. According to my Rifle Recoil Table a 7.5 pound rifle shooting that load should come back at the shooter with 17.1 ft. lbs. of recoil energy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The .38-55 Winchester - Excerpt

By Chuck Hawks

Ballard introduced this old timer in 1884 for their single shot target rifles. Its nomenclature is derived from its approximately .38 caliber bullet (actually .375"), and the 55 grains of black powder with which it was charged.

Winchester, alone of the Big Three ammo companies, offers a .38-55 factory load. This uses a 255 grain soft point bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1320 fps with 987 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy from a 24" barrel. At 100 yards the velocity of this load is 1190 fps with 802 ft. lbs. of energy, and at 200 yards it is moving at 1091 fps and carrying 674 ft. lbs. of energy.

The handloader can achieve better ballistics than those provided by the Winchester factory load. Sierra offers a .375" 200 grain JFP Pro-Hunter bullet, and Hornady offers a 220 grain JFP bullet (SD=.223). These can be driven to about 1600 fps, stretching the effective hunting range of the cartridge to about 150 yards.

According to the Lyman 47th Reloading Handbook the Remington 255 grain JFP bullet can be driven from a 26" barrel at a MV of 1271 fps by 31.0 grains of IMR 3031 powder, and a MV of 1805 fps by 35.0 grains of IMR 3031. Remington cases and primes were used for these loads. This Lyman data is intended to be used in modern rifles, such as recently produced Winchester Model 94's, only. The sections of older Lyman Reloading Handbooks devoted to obsolete cartridges are also good sources for reloading information on old cartridges like the .38-55.

For target shooting, most competitors use cast bullets weighing around 250 grains at 1200-1300 fps. These are usually propelled by fast burning powders like H4227, IMR 4227, or SR4759.

---------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Cache La Poudre Rifleworks in Ft. Collins, CO has a used Marlin 336 in 375 Win. for sale. I did not handle it but it looks to be lightly used and in original configuration. Price was $3??.00 (under $400) IIRC.

The owner, Michael, died of massive heart attack last week. Sad loss...he was one of the good guys. Services tomorrow. The store will remain in business.

I don't know what they do about off-site sales. Interested parties can check them out at

http://cache_la_poudre.tripod.com/

I have no connection with this store except to have been a customer and frequent browser. FYI.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts