Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To begin with, I wish to share how much I love my .35 Rem 336.
This rifle has taken me a very long time to find, but its true that good things do come to those that wait.

As usual, you never really know what sort of rifle your purchasing when you buy used. Sometimes you get lucky and find a tack driver. On the other hand, you may learn why the previous owner traded the rifle in.

With so much time spent looking for a decent .35 rem I found myself planning for the rifle well ahead of my purchase.

This weekend, I mounted my scope, gathered up what available ammo which could found, and set off to the range.

Initially, I fired off two rounds at 50yrds and moved the scope crosshairs to reflect one inch above point of aim.
Next, I moved the target out to the 100yrd mark, and returned to sending lead down wind. Soon, my rifle was again sighted in at 1inch high above point of aim at the a distance of 100yrds. Furthermore, this rifle was doing its part in stacking bullets very tightly into 3 shot groups.

Confusion is best described as the look noticed in bolt action owners eyes when a leveraction is outshooting their own rifles.

My rifle performed so well that I focused my attention to the metal gongs at the 200yrd range.
Im not so sure that one of the gongs didnt call out for mercy just prior to my finishing for the afternoon.

Please read below for an update on the gear installed, ammo choice and opinion regarding shooting my 35Rem.

First, I would rank the recoil of the 200gr 35 Remington to be just slightly more than a 170gr 30-30. I feel that even for those shy of recoil that a .35 could be well accepted.

Furthermore, hornadys 200gr leverevolution ammo performed without flaw. My rifle grouped the hornady ammo so well that I will attempt to purchase a a supply of this ammunition for the future.

Additionally, I chose to use the 1piece DNZ GameReaper scope/ring combination from DNZ Products. This was an excellent choice which looks just as nice as it is strong. Even though this product is designed for the 336, it appears robust enough to be used on the strongest kicking magnum cartridges.

Next, I mounted a 2x7x35 Burris Fullfield II ballistic plex scope onto the newly installed DNZ Medium height ring/base. This was a perfect match for the 336, however if you wished to use a scope with a 40mm objective I would suggest choosing the high mount option from DNZ or risk clearance problems with your rear sight.

The Burris scope is clear, precise, compact and the option of a ballistic plex reticle is functional without becoming obtrusive.

I sighted my gun 1inch high at 100yrds, and had little trouble using the ballistic plex reticle when firing out to 200yrds.

At a later time I will shoot for accuracy at 200yrds, but at this moment im comfortable in hitting very close to point of aim.

At this moment, Im still deciding which sling to use along with a shell holder for the rear stock. I realize a simple black elastic shell holder would suffice, but I may look into something made of leather to enhance the rifles looks.

In conclusion, this rifle will likly be my full time rifle for the 2014 deer season. With some luck I will be able to share an update on how this cartridge/ammo performs on game.

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
happy to hear your rifle is shooting well

check out MO member a9mmfan
he does some fine leather work, you will find many examples here on the forum

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Registered
44 Posts
nice to hear how your plan is working...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yup.. the ole .35..... I put a Marlin 1" sling on mine, they still sell them on Marlins web site. Enjoy :marchmellow:

·
Registered
169 Posts
J.a. Hunter, congrats on your .35. Sounds like you found a jewel. I made the switch to dnz's 5 years ago and agree its an awesome mount. Don't be surprised when you get your 2nd .35, it's bound to happen.
I bought another DNZ for my 2nd 35 thinking " I think I'm done buying marlins" and just last week an unused 1895 hitched a ride home and now will be wearing that mount.
Then the dies, trimmer, bullets show up in .458 cal. You'll get the best accuracy when you load your own.
Best of luck .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like you got a good one. I bought my first Marlin a couple of years ago, a smooth stock 336cs in .35 Rem that I bought from a friend, and it's also a tackdriver...honestly as accurate as any rifle I've ever hunted with, including my FIL's old Win 70 30-06 with a bedded stock. He claims to have killed a buck at 500 yds when he was in Montana, but then again, they didn't have rangefinders back then.

Anyhow, last week I did a scope switch, going from a 40mm on the same mounts you used, the DMZ medium. They're very good mounts, but I wanted to get the scope closer to the bore. I just put medium DMZ mounts on my new TC muzzleloader and they're perfect. By the way though, I had plenty of space with the med DMZ and 40mm scope on my Marlin. All I had to do is fold down the rear sight. How's your trigger? I spent big bucks on the Wild West Happy trigger, and a friend did some "polishing" work on the gun to further help it, as well as the action. I only wish the ammo wasn't so dang expensive, and will probably eventually get into reloading if just for the sake of this fine rifle.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I saw a 1974 vintage 336 in .35 in a shop last week and seriously considered it, but eventually put it back. Asking price was $365 and it had a fair amount of honest wear. I didn't have much in the way of regrets for passing it up until reading the above. I'm starting to feel like I did after passing up a deal on a Winchester 88......I have that semi-nauseated gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach.

·
Administrator
28,297 Posts
Hey Hunter, nice write up and it appears your 35REM is a keeper. I look forward to those pics and hearing more of dialing it in at 200YDS.

Jack

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Nice report, and glad you're happy with the rifle. My .35 rem is probably my favorite lever to use, love the thing, and have had it for some 25+ years now. It also groups best with that Hornady LE, and really impressed me the first time I tried it too. Take care, and enjoy... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Leather work equals a9mmfan in my book.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had several older Marlins in .35 Rem, and I have NEVER had one that was a bad shooter. Last time I took one to the range, I shot it at 50 yards - first shot was 2" above the bull, and EXACTLY on the center line of the target - factory iron sights and my old eyes!

VERY under rated rifles and caliber. Enjoy it.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tbonedave.

The trigger on my .35 could use a bit of attention, however its not horrible by any manner.
Once, I gained a feel for the factory creep before finally discharging I was able to really tighten my groups.
My older 30-30 has a much smoother trigger, but its also been shot a fair bit more than the .35.
I feel confident in time this rifles trigger will smooth out and improve. On the other hand, If the trigger fails to improve I could easily be satisfied with keeping it as it is

·
Registered
222 Posts
The are very good simple fixes or adjustments for the trigger. down further in the forum are several links.
this one is very well done by Swany. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/basic-triggers/33129-marlin-trigger.html
I have used it and it is easy to do. Just take your time and sort it out.

Tbonedave.

The trigger on my .35 could use a bit of attention, however its not horrible by any manner.
Once, I gained a feel for the factory creep before finally discharging I was able to really tighten my groups.
My older 30-30 has a much smoother trigger, but its also been shot a fair bit more than the .35.
I feel confident in time this rifles trigger will smooth out and improve. On the other hand, If the trigger fails to improve I could easily be satisfied with keeping it as it is

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate the excellent advice found in the above posted link.

Before I commit myself to replacing the trigger i will attempt to improve the factory trigger first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I appreciate the excellent advice found in the above posted link.

Before I commit myself to replacing the trigger i will attempt to improve the factory trigger first.
That very well might be the best route, particularly if you're already comfortable tearing down guns. Swany seems to give great detail on the link posted above, and I wish I'd seen it before I bought my Wild West trigger. Even after I replaced it, I still wasn't happy, but my buddy did some magic on it and it's much lighter, with ZERO creep,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts