Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Trail Boss for low velocity loads with lighter bullets like a 158gr in the 35rem. I know that I have heard alot people using unique on the forum. Just curious if anyone has tried Trail Boss.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I loaded some 150SWC, 158SWC, and some 180WNFPGC with Trail boss.

I was hitting milk jugs at 75yds and making them burst but not explode.

No chrono so I can't help there.

Make sure that you brush your teeth before you go shooting, You will be smiling a lot after shooting.

Didn't have time to paper for groups, just jug it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Before I forget, The reason I'm going to play with these loads is I have shoulder and neck problems. I haven't had work in 4 1/2 years so I can't get another rifle. I like the 357mag because it doesn't hurt when I shoot, only problem is I don't own one. So I started to mess around with what I do own in 35 cal and that is my 35rem.

As soon as season ends and my friend gets his chrony, I will be doing a bunch more experimenting with this.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Go to the Hodgdon web site and under data at the top there are loads for Trail Boss.

The load is between 70% and 100% of the UNCOMPRESSED case capacity. They tell you how to measure that and then do the 70% measurement. You don't want to compress Trail Boss. I have thought of using this for plinking loads and may pick up a canister (they aren't pounds because of the bulk of the powder) and try it with some 158 gr bullets.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Over on the Ruger Forum there was a discussion about creating unpublished Trail Boss loads. One very experienced gunsmith warned that Trail Boss is a fast, high bulk powder that increases its pressure very quickly if compressed. DO NOT COMPRESS this powder ! Other than that I've heard it works well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts