Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now know what everyone was talking about when they said the marlin .35 rem has a short throat. I just got some new reloading equipment and a new reloading manual so of coarse I tried them out. I tried some hard cast oregon trail bullets made for the .357 that are 158 gr. The new manual had a load that used Unique so I loaded 20 of them up, grabed the gun and was heading for the door to go to the range and I decided to try one to see how it cycled in the gun and guess what, gun wouldnt close. I looked at the bullet and sure enough I can see the rifle marks on the bullet. Now I just have to wait for the new bullet puller to come in. :( well lesson learned, just load up one and try it out before doing multiple rounds.

does anyone know of a lead bullet that tappers fast enough to be used in the .35. I am looking for a cheap plinking load.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
jb, could you give us a few more particulars? These are SWC's, I presume? It may be possible to get the job done with deeper seating. Dacron can be used to protect the base of plainbase or gascheck bullets if the bottom of the bullet protrudes below the case neck. The gun may shoot well even if the bullet doesn't protrude very far out of the case.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good 35 lead load.

Try
the 205 GC Gr. RCBS lead mould over 39 grs of Varget .
Use the factory crimp die and crimp on the top band , just to clear the rifling.

Good cheap loads at the range , and sure able to take a deer or two with in the 100 yrs or so.
Happy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these are the bullets I tried

hope the picture works. I ordered the bullets for my ruger gp100 but it is still at the factory getting fixed and I just had to try them out.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Jb, seat them deeper so they clear, then give them a try. Seriously consider dacron for any load using a deeply seated plainbase bullet.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if I seat them deeper without a crimp groove then load them into the mag tube wont they get pushed into the shell?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Most of the time when they get pushed into the shell in your mag tube, it is because they were not crimped enough or you are shooting hot loads with a lot of recoil. Someone told me when checking a rifle I am reloading for the first time put a bullet, barely into the mouth of the case, no primer and no powder, hand feed it into the chamber (barrel up) then lever it into the rifle. With no crimp the bullet is pushed into the case to your maximum OAL. Seems to work for me. Can't remember who told me that or I would give them credit.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
JB, if you're worried about them going deeper in the case, apply a light roll crimp over the front edge of the driving band. Make sure your cases are all the same length. Neck tension is most of the reason bullets stay put in the tube, so with light recoil loads you'll be fine with the deeper seating and the roll crimp. Plenty of surface on that bullet to give the neck a good grip. If the lead bullets are slightly oversized, say .359-.360", and you are using standard sizing and seating dies, neck tension should be high.

Do you have an M die to expand and flare the neck?

What diameter are these bullets?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these bullets are .358, I bought them for my .357 (that is still at the ruger factory getting fixed :evil: ) so i am not to worried about them not working. I will still look around for some lead bullets that are cheap that I can use in the .35 rem. I am using the Lee die set so I dont know if I can put the crimp on that you are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
You can crimp them with the Lee factory crimp die if you wish. If possible, it would be best to obtain larger diameter bullets. If your gun is Microgroove and has a short throat they often express a preference for oversized bullets. This is especially true if the bullets are hard cast and lighter loads are used that do not slug up the bullet upon firing.

What loads are you planning on using with this bullet?

It may be a problem seating the bullet deeply enough with the Lee die set; it does not like bullets with very short noses, which are on cast bullet designs intended for pistols. Of course, that depends on the particular design you are using.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I would like to chime in and ask a question about this. Sureshot told how to get your OAL. I did and it is 2.580 with a 200 gr. Corelokt JSP in my .35. That leaves a lot of room before the cannelure is reached so I would have to crimp without the cannelure maybe backing off about .005 to 2.575. The manuals list an OAL of 2.525 for a difference of .055. The way I read the Lee Factory Crimp Die info is that it will crimp ok w/o the cannelure.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have crimped in groove out of grove and with the lee factory crimp it works just about any place you put it. In fact I can't recall any failure to crimp with it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats good to know, I will give it a try with the bullets a little deeper in then.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
35remington,

I believe it was mfg. in 1981. The first 4 digits are 1910.

Dave 8)

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
VTDW, reason I asked is that I have a newer 336 .35 that has a longer throat than Marlin used to have as standard-maybe this longer throat is what they're putting on all the rifles now. Sounds like your rifle has a bit longer throat as well. My 80's 336 has the typical very short throat.

In my opinion, the reason to seat to your longer overall length, rather than locating the crimp in the cannnelure, is if accuracy was better with the longer OAL. If accuracy improved with the longer seating, then crimp away. If it doesn't, I'd just use the cannelure for crimping. I sectioned some .35 200 RN Core-Lokt bullets and the jacket is thicker near the cannelure, so it's a real Core-Lokt. I cannot see where adding a cannelure by crimping in the new location with the Factory Crimp Die would hurt anything. The jacket is thick enough that it will not be weakened by this, and expansion stops at or short of the cannelure anyway, even on close range shots at higher velocities in the .35 Remington.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Thanks for the info. I plan on backing the OAL down to 2.575, crimping firm and trying it out. I will start way low on the gr. of powder also.

Dave 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts