Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to have my Marlin 336 35 Rem bumped out to 356 Winchester and was thinking of useing Nooneman Custom.Has anybody on this forum used him for custom work?My 35 is very accurate and he said the coversion won't affect the accuracy and only a three week turn around time, he is also going to fit a large loop lever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had many email conversations with him on different project, I think he knows what he is doing and has done a number of coversions.
I have yet to have heard a single complaint about any of his work.
I was thinking of having him do one for me too, still kind of up in the air, still would like 348DC, or neck a 338ME up to 348 or 35.
Still thinking...

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
His reputation is top drawer. Lots of good comments on other threads here, including the 356W. It should be a good job for you.

We will need pics and range report in due time...

Jeff

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chocdog ,
I want a bit more range and power the 356W has both of that and also have a bunch of 356 brass that needs to be used.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Chocdog ,
I want a bit more range and power the 356W has both of that and also have a bunch of 356 brass that needs to be used.
Makes good sense if you have a bunch of 356W brass.
Pushing the same bullets a bit faster from a 20" barrel or a lot faster with the right powder choices.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So its a good deal, think my Big Bore 94 days are numbered.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Been watching that gun, pretty sure its made a few cycles with no bids. Makes me think, if you get a conversion done, you need to get it done by a recognized smith and keep the paper work. This thread has got me to where I'm gonna do it to a an extra .35 336c that is here. Been draggin that 94 356 around for years, only tolerate it for the cartridge.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did look at the 356 on g/b, 35 thats been rechamberd contacted the guy sort of answered around my questions and said it was good to go.Looked in well used shape.Then theres a 336 ER that needs a stock I'll keep an eye on that auction.My 35 is like new with nice wood so I might as well ship it out Regan's work is reasonable price wise.
I also had 3 356 Winchester's over the years and sold them all for alot more than I paid for them ,2 of them were really accurate.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Konnerman,

The .356 brass you have may be as valuable as one of the used .356 on Gunbroker. You project is your project but I am wondering if the expense is worth another 200 feet per second.

Not trying to be negative, I seen some many projects over the years done by many shooters with many different calibers in different gun platforms which drained $$$ for modest gains and a loss when the project was abandoned or sold.

Chocdog

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your going to gain more than 200 fps depending on the load.The conversion is not that much money.I've done many projects over the years and are careful what I do or have done,I know the deal.A custom rifle is just that, a rifle that will fit your hunting needs.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I had my 30-30 rechambered for 307 and couldn't agree with you more. Love those calibers!

Reactions: Konnorman

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Your going to gain more than 200 fps depending on the load.
I'm wondering about that one.

If the .35 Remington is loaded closer to the potential of the .356, the margin decreases by quite a bit. Buffalo Bore 220's are a good example of that.
The difficulty is knowing where the pressure limit is without test equipment. Some guys are braver than others.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
TMan51,

I agree.........

I shoot and hunt with both the 35Rem and the 356 Win........

That said, The 35 Rem commercial offerings are loaded to only 33500 PSI as the SAMMI Spec dictates. While the lowly 30-30's SAMMI Spec is 42000 PSI....

The reason the 35 is so enemic is due to the older remington Model 8's that are still in the field...And I don't think that will ever change.

It is possible to handload the 35 Rem to operate at pressures closer to those of the 30-30, and when that is done, that 35 comes much closer to the 356.

The 356 Win SAMMI Spec is 52000 CUP............No corolation of PSI to CUP has ever been calculated to my knowledge, and I'm NOT saying the 35 can operate at 356 pressures.

What I'm saying is that the 35 as commercially loaded,(Excluding Specialty Ammo) is a very conservative loading, and a hand loader can "Close the Gap" some, with the 356...............

Does that mean the 356 can also loaded hotter to "re-establish the 35/356 Gap?..............NO!........IMO, At 52000 CUP, the 356 is already operating at FULL CAPACITY for the round itself, and particularly the 336 Marlin Rifle..........

Is one really any better than the other for New England woods hunting?............I'd say NO, given that the same type and weight bullets are used...........Any real difference is in the eye of the 356 Owner, and the Bragging rights that seem to go with the 356.

This is all just my Opinion, others may not agree..........

Tom

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
The 35 remington holds 51 grains of water. The 356 winchester holds 57 grains of water. Even at 42, 000 cup it is still 10, 000 cup's behind and 6 grains of water behind. There is absolutely no way you can load the 35 rem to stay within those parametera and come close to the 356 win within those parameters.

Reactions: Konnorman

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Its like saying you can load the 30-30 at 45 grains and 42, 000 cup close to 307 win at 54 grains and 52,000 cup. Or even 300 savage at 52 grains and 46, 000 cup. Thse savage isn't the best comparison because overall length (amount of bullet inside neck) makes it misleading. But the 307 would be a good comparison

1 - 20 of 48 Posts