Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, and gals......I have a 1979 Marlin in 35 Rem, It has a 16.25" bbl on it, and it has the ram-line synthetic stock. My question is how to tame the recoil on this best a little..... I am not scared of a kick, I normally hunt with my 270, but man this is a fun gun to shoot, and/but it kicks the S&$t out of me.......

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If you reload or know someone that does, you can make some real light loads with bullets for a 38/357. The bore diameter is the same, .358. Use pistol powder and you hardly have any recoil. I've made some and they are fun to shoot, about like a .22 .

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am sure that I read here or elsewhere that a grind-to-fit limbsaver recoil pad can be applied to the 336C ramline stock.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is there a way to get a recoil reducer installed in the buttstock? other than that, i would move to a wood stock or limbsaver like others have mentioned.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Since you obviously have different taste :-X, why not a slip on recoil pad?

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
First of all, I'd lose the Ramline Stock. Those things are hideous. About 5 or 6 years ago my brother gave me one and I put it on my 336C in 35 Remington. I used it one year and traded it to Patty for some brass. I just hated the look. I didn't think it kicked any more, but it didn't do my gun justice.

Get a good walnut stock. The added weight will lessen felt recoil, and you could always add a recoil pad if you still find the recoil excessive.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Ram-Lines have their uses but not on Marlin lever guns. I've used them on some bolt actions, and they worked well for that purpose, especially on Mausers that I was sporterizing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I like a nice Ram-Line on a 336. Couple that with some quality See-Thru bases/rings, and you've got a nice'un! A Good Simmons 44Mag scope that juuuusst barely allows you to see the irons underneath the bell would be perfect for filling the freezer. I will soon dedicate a 336 build to this very concept, though not in 35 Rem. It can only be 30-30.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Abel said:
I like a nice Ram-Line on a 336. Couple that with some quality See-Thru bases/rings, and you've got a nice'un! A Good Simmons 44Mag scope that juuuusst barely allows you to see the irons underneath the bell would be perfect for filling the freezer. I will soon dedicate a 336 build to this very concept, though not in 35 Rem. It can only be 30-30.

Can't wait for the pics on this one!!! ;D

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
HEY........................AT LEAST ITS A MARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've developed an aversion to recoil pads as, should the rifle acquire collector value like the Savage 99s, a pad compromises its value. Use a shooting jacket with padded shoulder or wear a Past recoil pad. If you hunt, one or two shots from field positions while wearing typical winter hunting clothes means you won't feel the recoil. As someone suggested, light handloads or even cast bullets at perhaps 1500 FPS would be very easy to shoot.

But be warned, .35 Marlins are sensitive to reloads. Be careful not to set the shoulder back and only use soft primers such as Federal or Remington.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Abel said:
It's also GOT to have a DIY spray can camo paint job, over the entire thing, stocks, metal, all of it.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Doc Fillem said:
It's also GOT to have a DIY spray can camo paint job, over the entire thing, stocks, metal, all of it.

...........And don't forget to add that much needed Tactical Mag Light, and holder....................Oh, and spray paint it all like the gun, too......

Tom

·
Registered
603 Posts
..Don't forget a laser!

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Redmist said:
...whew ! tough audience ;D

Nah.............Just havin' a little fun......Actually, I'm a little curoius about that Ramline stock.....I've never seen one, and it should reduce the weight a bit........

Sorry about the Mag Light remark...........I was just havin' a little fun......

Tom

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was just spoofin' too. Actually, that stone painted stock looks like pretty good way to salvage an ugly or beat up stock.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts