Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would y'all say the .35 is a big enough bore to reliably hunt with hardcast bullets, or should I really stay with expanding bullets?

I have 250 205gr hard cast gas checked slugs that I use for plinking in my Whelen and .35Rem, and if they will RELIABLY take a deer or hog, I might use them for hunting as well.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I would say there is no reason why you couldn't use them. I think they will do a fine job.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have never hunted with hard cast in any caliber, however I believe general sentiment is that an average sized deer may not be big or thick enough to make penetration an issue. If this is the case you have a .35 caliber lazer shot right through the deer that if not properly located would make for a long tracking effort and an agonizing death for the animal.

Penetration could well be an issue when drawing a bead on a big hog and a tough, heavy cast bullet that will stay together would be what is needed.

I speak only in generalities, there are those who are much more qualified than I who can share specifics with you, and I'll bet they will post, so we'll keep your thread near the top.

SS

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been toying with the same idea. I read a Beartooth Bullet tech manual on hard cast bullets. According to the tech manual, the diameter of the metplate and the impact speed determine the size hole that will be made in the animal. The manual gives several examples and it is impressive.

The problem is finding a bullet that will load in a 35 Marlin. I tried Rock Island hard cast gas check bullets, but the crimp groove is in the wrong location and the bullet hits the rifling before the bolt is closed. However, they work fine in my 357 Marlin rifle. I contacted Cast Performance Bullets and they did not think their bullets would work in a 35 Marlin. I have ordered some 200 grain Beartooth bullets to try, but they are about 4 weeks behind on orders.

If you find a good hard cast gas check bullet, please post your results and the brand bullet, along with the metplate diameter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input so far, but it doesn't sounds like the answer is an overwhelming yes. No problem, these bullets are fantastic in my Whelen with 30.0gr IMR-4227 (for about 2000-2100fps). I have no problem continuing to use them for that.

These particular 205GC bullets are from Leadhead's (www.proshootpro.com), and they are actually .357 magnum/maximum silhouette bullets. The crimp groove is pretty far forward (to help with OAL of the pistol calibers), and feeding is no problem. 250 for $30.

I guess the caliber's gotta be .40+ to drop big game reliably with hardcast. No problem doing it with my .44 maggie, or the big 45-70.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Give Marshall a call over at Beartooth bullets, he should a bullet that will do the trick, they make the 180 and 210 grain for the 35 Rem. Dont give up the idea yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Go to Beartooth Bullets web site. There is a guy that goes by the name of Ranchdog. He has had a lot of expereince hunting hogs (he hunts hogs on his ranch several times a week) with a 35 Marlin. The last time that I talked with him, he was starting to use hard cast bullets in his 35 Marlin. I am sure that he can help you.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Ranch Dog from the Beartooth site has had good luck with a 30-30 AI. I would say the 35 would only top his results. I'd give the Beartooth bullets a try. 45-70 lead works very well on Bison.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think a good shoulder shot would really make those hardcast .35's shine. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use them. A deer can shrug off amazing wounds but a bullet through the shoulders isn't one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts