Marlin Firearms Forum banner

35 Rem. FTX Bullet Seating

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  308/338 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me if the FTX bullets need a special seating die to reload or will my Lee dies do the job? Thanx!!

#2 ·
I am loading them with regular Lee dies. Just be sure to check your overall length. I cheated and used a factory round to set my seating die. They have a sharper taper, obviously. That results in a longer bearing surface in the rifling. Do you have a factory round to set your seating die with or to measure? If not, let me know and I will measure one and get you the info.

Reactions: kobeinu
#3 ·
No i dont have any factory rounds. These are the only bullets i could find so i can shoot an old friends rifle that was left to me. So i have dies, powder and some cases. I just dont know if regular seating dies will damage the tip of the bullet.And finding all these components was a chore and alot of driving!

#6 ·
Glad I read this because I have been loading 356 Win. using the 358 win. die set with .358" FTX bullets no problem. It been a while since I have reload 35Rem. with 358"FTX bullets but I only own 35Rem. Lee dies set and I had no problem using 358" FTX bullets. I would have to check the stem to see if my 35R die stem is made for pointy bullets. A thought, 35 Rem. are also factory made with pointy bullet too so why wouldn't the 35Ren. die set come with a stem to accommodate both bullet shapes?

#7 · (Edited)
Okay my 35R Lee Die set and the bullet starting die has a cone shape cavity so to accommodate Spitzer shaped bullets. I hope this helps. PS. if you take your Lee bullet seating die apart you should see the part (stem) has a cone cavity if not contact Lee precision and they'll sell or give you a 35R bullet starting die stem to accommodate Spitzer bullets. Hope this helps. A note with a properly trim case seat bullet just at the Cannelure then make your find adjustment to C.O. L. 2.540 which is printed in the 8th. edition Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading. You can make a dummy round and keep to check or adjust your Lee bullet starting die in the future. One last note I use a Lee crimping die not the built in die crimp. If you need to know how I crimp using the built in die crimp I will explain how I do it in two stages. It worked for me but now have a Lee factory crimping die.

#8 ·
Wanted to try the hornady ftx bullets this year, but my lyman die set was from the 70's, back then there was not a big selection of bullets for .35. When I attempted to seat them with the Round nose stem it crushed the tip. I have other Caliber dies to rob a stem from but nothing fit from rcbs or texan companies I had. Bought a set of hornady dies when the had rebate deals going on with a matching stem.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't know why pre Hornady 358" FTX bullets Die sets wouldn't come with a bullet seating die that would not accommodate a spitzers shape bullet for a 35Rem. when Remington in the 70s manufactured 35Rem. cartridges and bullet for reloading both in 150 gr. and 200 gr. spitzer bullets and still today for their now box magazine rifles Rem. M. 760 and the old 1912 model 14 and 1930 M.141 tube spiral magazine that handle pointed bullets. But I do believe you that your die set Bullet seating die stem won't accommodate FTX/ spitzer type bullet. strange!

Reactions: Ljstew57
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.