Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornady states the vellocity of this cartridge is 2225 fps with 2198 ft-lbs of energy. Now that's from a 24" barrel. (XLR?)
What's the loss in velocity for a normal 336 marlin with a 20" barrel and the 16-17" 336 carbine length models?

Is the number about 100 fps per inch or something like that?

·
Super Moderator
7,536 Posts
The loss is usually 25 to 30 fps per inch of barrel, but not always.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The only disadvantage from a 200gr 35 rem bullet going slower is in trajectory the end result from that slower 200gr 35rem bullet impacting a deer is total devastation and a dead deer and you can only get so dead. But the advantages of carrying a shorter, faster handling rifle is priceless. Widow

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
There is a chart floating around giving velocity loss per inch based on beginning velocity range. For example, for calibers on the 2,000 - 2 , 500 fps range, they say velocity loss is only 10 fps per inch. The higher the starting velocity, the greater the speed loss per inch of barrel cut off.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Found that chart I was talking about.

For rifles with a muzzle velocity in the _____________ range, change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is _________
......................................................1000-2000 fps............................................................................................... 5 fps.
......................................................2001-2500 fps.............................................................................................. 10 fps.
......................................................2501-3000 fps.............................................................................................. 20 fps.
......................................................3001-3500 fps.............................................................................................. 30 fps.

No idea where it came from, who came up with the numbers or how accurate it is but, speaking in generalities, it's not a bad chart. Logic says that at some point in barrel length you would reach a point of diminishing returns but at what that length is, I have no idea. I would also think that factors like powder burn rate, bullet diameter/length/surface area contacting the bore etc. would be an important factor but I suppose it is an "all else being equal" chart. That is, if the Hornady LE's give a velocity in your gun of 2,150fps and you cut it down from 20" to 16 inches, expected velocity loss with THE SAME BULLET would be calculated as a 4" loss. 4"(10 fps/inch)= 40fps and that isn't even worth worrying about. I'd be interested in data from anyone who has actually done such a conversion and made comparisons with a chrono before and after.

Reactions: Pearce

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked a marlin 336A in .35 Rem it was produced in 1952 and according to previous owner only 10 shots were fired through it, too much recoil he said.
Do y'all think the Hornady leverevolution round is too hot for a gun built in the 50's?
I think they are better built, but I am concerned that the gun was not designed to handle the pressure created by these new cartridges

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I just picked a marlin 336A in .35 Rem it was produced in 1952 and according to previous owner only 10 shots were fired through it, too much recoil he said.
Do y'all think the Hornady leverevolution round is too hot for a gun built in the 50's?
I think they are better built, but I am concerned that the gun was not designed to handle the pressure created by these new cartridges
Older thread. To answer your question, the Hornady LE ammo is made to SAAMI specs and not what some might term +P. Pressure wise it's not an issue. Actually, neither would Buffalo Bore's 220gr loading for that matter.

FWIW, I shot the .35 Rem LE ammo in a 1952 M760 and it shot very well in it.

Reactions: TKM
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.