Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornady states the vellocity of this cartridge is 2225 fps with 2198 ft-lbs of energy. Now that's from a 24" barrel. (XLR?)
What's the loss in velocity for a normal 336 marlin with a 20" barrel and the 16-17" 336 carbine length models?

Is the number about 100 fps per inch or something like that?

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
The loss is usually 25 to 30 fps per inch of barrel, but not always.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The only disadvantage from a 200gr 35 rem bullet going slower is in trajectory the end result from that slower 200gr 35rem bullet impacting a deer is total devastation and a dead deer and you can only get so dead. But the advantages of carrying a shorter, faster handling rifle is priceless. Widow

·
Registered
8 Posts
last buck I popped with my .35 literally fell over without taking a step. I was using the leverevolutions. They seem to do the trick. I have my 336 sighted in dead on at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Somewhere around here I have a recovered 35ftx bullet that is about as close to being a perfect mushroom as you can get. Very nice controlled expansion I thought.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
There is a chart floating around giving velocity loss per inch based on beginning velocity range. For example, for calibers on the 2,000 - 2 , 500 fps range, they say velocity loss is only 10 fps per inch. The higher the starting velocity, the greater the speed loss per inch of barrel cut off.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Found that chart I was talking about.

For rifles with a muzzle velocity in the _____________ range, change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is _________
......................................................1000-2000 fps............................................................................................... 5 fps.
......................................................2001-2500 fps.............................................................................................. 10 fps.
......................................................2501-3000 fps.............................................................................................. 20 fps.
......................................................3001-3500 fps.............................................................................................. 30 fps.

No idea where it came from, who came up with the numbers or how accurate it is but, speaking in generalities, it's not a bad chart. Logic says that at some point in barrel length you would reach a point of diminishing returns but at what that length is, I have no idea. I would also think that factors like powder burn rate, bullet diameter/length/surface area contacting the bore etc. would be an important factor but I suppose it is an "all else being equal" chart. That is, if the Hornady LE's give a velocity in your gun of 2,150fps and you cut it down from 20" to 16 inches, expected velocity loss with THE SAME BULLET would be calculated as a 4" loss. 4"(10 fps/inch)= 40fps and that isn't even worth worrying about. I'd be interested in data from anyone who has actually done such a conversion and made comparisons with a chrono before and after.

Reactions: Pearce
1 - 8 of 8 Posts