Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the rule is to use the primers called for by the published data.

However... can’t find large rifle primers, only large magnum rifle primers. My friend at the range, who has tried almost everything in his 70+ years, and still has all his eyes, limbs and digits, says he uses magnum primers with no issues.

I load moderate 35 Remington rounds, usually midway between the starting and max published loads.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I started using large rifle magnum primers in a reduced load in my M1A for that very reason.Works well.

·
Premium Member
10,744 Posts
I have done it in pistol with no problems. I have read many different pages on the subject and all say it can be done safely. Just do as 94 win advised and back off the close to max loads until you have shot enough to make sure you are not seeing signs of high pressure. I have a feeling you will not notice any different in your loads for the most part.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
It is okay as long as the load recipe is not at Max and not using "Fast Burn" powders. Medium to slow powders will have better ignition with the Mag primer especially in very cold weather.

·
Super Moderator
11,786 Posts
This is good stuff to know. I'm pretty well stocked on large rifle primers but picked up a brick of magnum primers by mistake a few months ago.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think "magnum primers" can be experimented with, just as different powders,
bullet seating depths, type of brass, etc. etc..

One just has to know,... one's limitations! :sneaky:

Quite awhile ago, I built a 223/5.56 upper for long distance shooting.
I went with a 24" bull barrel, because it was the longest I could find, to buy, at that time.

After working up my normal loads, I decided to work up to a maximum powder charge.
I really wanted to crack the 4,000 FPS barrier, with Barnes 36 grain Varmint Grenade copper bullets.

When slowly working up to max load without mag primes, I couldn't quite get over the 4,000 FPS hump,...
the 24" barrel brought me right up to it, but, no cigar. It was the mag primers that did it for me, in this build!
Not by much, only 15 to 20 FPS over the 4,000 FPS mark,... but, they got me there.

I didn't notice any pressure signs with or without mag primers, but, I did notice a little better group size
with the mag primers. I think Ramshot powders and Barnes bullets like to be pushed towards maximum loads.

I think "mag primers" are good with the fine textured, ball/sphere shaped double base, temp insensitive, Ramshot powders that I use,... especially with maxed full cases. At least that is what works for me, in this particular rifle.

That is my experience, experimenting with mag primers, in a relatively small caliber case, with small mag primers, in HOT southwest high desert shooting conditions,... your mileage may differ.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
When Freedom arms first came out with their 454 Casull the Freedom Arms brass was only available from them and it used a small rifle mag primer. Now Starline makes brass with Lrg pistol mag primer pockets.

·
Registered
481 Posts
When I was loading 45acp+P and 45 Super, I came across a publication about a very hot 45acp ammo, being produced. They used small pocket brass, which finally answered my long time question about small pocket 45acp brass.

It's called 450SMC,... I found it an interesting possibility for maxing out 45acp.
But, then after loading some hot stuff,... decided I didn't want to run them in my 1911 all time time, and eventually lost interest.

I think it would be an excellent possibility with a 45acp recvolver.

Considering the increase in the cases strength, with small primer pockets, I am surprised Star-Line has included large pocket 454 Casull brass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts