Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple people had pointed out that our 35 Rem data was missing data for 158gr'ers (we had 125, 140 and 180's, but no 158's)... so that's been rectified, ie, 14 powders (5 pw's per each) have been added. The bullet used is OT's 158 gr rnfp (the std 38 spcl bullet). The results are interesting (in a perverse way).... generally our experience has been that lead bullets, need a certain minimum velocity to stabilize, and must be shot below some other velocity (otherwise, the driving pressure destroyes the internal structure of the bullet and generates keyholing). With these bullets we have two distinct sweet spots and one very ugly velocity range between the two. What makes this interesting is (at least to us): that the lower sweet spot is exactly where a wheelgun would shoot 38 spcls; and likewise, the upper one is exactly where a 1873/1894 would shoot them. We don't know which came first in this case: did people tune their loads to match these sweet spots; or was the bullet altered/redesigned over time to produce good results where people where going to shoot them (and ignored the other velocities where they weren't shot). Anyway, the data is out there [url below, look under levergun studies/data] - hope others can make use of it.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

ps. the groupsize vs velocity graph at the bottom of the data is most telling.
pps. 32-20 win is one trip to the range away form being added to the public collection - hopefully by next weekend it'll be there.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Greg on behalf of myself and everyone else who has benefited from the sharing of your testing data a hearty thank you. Hope you keep up the great work, in fact do you have any openings it would be fun to spend a large part of the week shooting.

Randy

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sure-Shot said:
in fact do you have any openings it would be fun to spend a large part of the week shooting.

Randy
Now, wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Greg, I also want to thank you for all the time you spend on this data, and the steps you have taken to assemble it and share it with us!

I just loaded some 35Rem's with 158 JHP's and Unique, time to compare your data with mine!

PJ

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SureShot and PapaJohn -

Thanks for the kind words... and since the data has been paid for, it would be nice if others could make use of it.

nfmMike - actually, your comment brought a thought to mind: it's one thing for me (and/or the girls and their families) being out at the range punching small groups, or making the steel sing... but given that "the range" is sitting on 82 ac and we have steel plates out to 1000 yrds - imagine the fun we could have with a (couple?) dozen Marlin shooters all picking on the plates at the same time... there's a cabin there, and plenty of room for lots of camping... in a couple of days I suspect we could bend the plates pretty good. [have had to already replace the 500yrd plate once - it got pretty well butterflied from all the 300win mag and 458 Lott hits.] Might have to think about this for next spring, when the temps are in the 50/60's and the hills are green [right now they're classic california "golden" and we're heading for high temps in the 115-118 range]. Just a thought.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

ps. the data is back again - looks like our ISP restored the website from an older backup tape and it took us a while to notice such and reload the data.

·
Registered
356 Posts
gmushial - if there ever comes a time that I am making reality out of my dream of RVing across America, I will certainly look you up. Sounds like a wonderful place to relax.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nfmMike -

Have never RV'd across the country - but have ridden a bicycle more than once: one beautiful country, and lots of great people... and if you get out this way: we're 100 miles from Oregon, 100 miles from Nevada and 150 from the Pacific... just remember to bring a shooting iron.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
You know Marlinman and I were talking about doing a Northwest get togeather with Marlins. If you are interested drop me a line and we can work out some details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts