Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 336RC and wanted to know if I can use Remington's 150 gr .35 Rem load with the pointed soft points in my tubular magazine.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only if you are loading one in the chamber and one in the Magazine. More than one in the Magazine could spell disaster both for the rifle and your hand. Loading more than one in the Magazine puts the points against the primer of the prior loaded cartridges.

Lee L.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sorry 1894; I have to differ with you.

I've seen the 150gr PSP's used in m336's for more than 35yrs, and have used them myself. Never have heard of any "detonation" or "explosions of the 150's in the Marlins; except in the deer they were shot at!

The 150gr PSP has a small meplat on the point, enough that it will not indent a large rifle primer within the magazine during firing/recoil.

Combine this with the slight taper of the .35Rem case, the point/meplat dosen't normally contact the primer of the round in front of it anyhow. Also add in the compressability of the magazine spring, and the deformation of the lead tip of the bullet, you are more likely to get struck by lightning than have the magazine rounds "explode"

Some time back, a "rag writer" conducted a series of tests to see if he could get the detonation. It took controled testing, using FMJ bullets in a .30/30 to get a magazine explosion. At that, all it did was bulge the magazine tube, splitting it, and blowing the cap off the front of the tube. Rifle was damaged, but not beyond repair. A shooter holding the fore-end would possibly been burned from excaping gasses, but not seriously injured. Remember, an uncontained cartridge dosen't hold or generate gasses efficiently.

Go ahead and use the 150gr PSP's. They work much better than you may have been led to believe.

Fired from my m336 w/20" bbl., I get 2,400fps and approx 1.5" 3-shot groups @ 100yds. from them from my .336.

Recoil is a little bit less than with the 200gr, and penetration is a good bit less, but still sufficient for any deer within the practical range of the load. (200yds or less).

I just wish that Wideners Shooters Supply still carried them. I only bought 100 of them (bullets only in component form). After working up a wonderful load with IMR-3031 and using a few to kill deer with, I ran out and have been unable to get anymore. The Speer 180gr dosen't expand nearly as well, and is no more accurate, but 2X as expensive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks GooseG. Although they do look pretty "pointy," I thought it odd that Remington would design one out of only two loads they make for the .35 unfit for use in a lever, when it seems the majority of .35 shooters are using a marlin. I put in a question through Remington's website and I'll post the "politically correct" answer when I get it. I'll probably use them either way. They will be for short range deer, and if Remington doesn't make these to kill deer, what else would they be for, right?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have to concur with Mr. GooseGestapo. I have been using the 150's in my 336 for 24 years now. I also contacted Remington a few years ago about this same issue and was told they are perfectly safe in tube mags. I still however only hunt with one in the chamber and one in the tube. Old habits are hard to die.

·
Registered
243 Posts
With lawsuit awards in the mega millions these days I believe that Remington would drop them in a split second if there were ANY reliable data to indicate they MIGHT detonate in the tube.
jim.e

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since Remington says their PSP's are safe I won't argue that point, but I know two customers who had been shooting psp's in their 30-30's that never had a problem. when they brought the guns in I was informed that they had been shooting Siera Match Kings when they went off in the magazines. Not a whole lot of damage, but both needed new mag tubes, and one needed a new forearm. They didn't know each other, and the damage was done more than a year apart. I wish I had kept the pictures of the damage, but they went with the shop. The current owner can't find them, or I would post them here.

Lee L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts