Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of .35 rem reloads that were used in a bolt action that were loaded with 40gr of H335 under a 200 gr rem cl. They were full length sized and they fit my 336. I am wondering if it would be safe to use them in the Marlin or not. Any idea what the pressure of said load would be. I know there are software programs out there that generate hypothetical pressures. I am thinking of breaking them down and reloading them, but I have not found much on info on the H335 and the 35 rem.

Any insight would greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

Scott Young

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wouldn't shoot them since they weren't worked up in your rifle. According to Hodgdon max load for 35 Remington with H335 and a 200gr (Hornady RN) is 37.0gr at 33,200CUP. JMHO

·
Registered
482 Posts
Rusty,
There is some real good data a few pages back on this forum. Search though the posts by 35REM. He has done a bunch of work in heavier .35 loads.

Using 335 that sounds a little on the stout side. I don't think I would start there and work down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at his posts and they are very informative. I noticed he uses 39 grains of H335 under a 200 grain pill. Supposing that I worked up a starting well under the 40 grains I now have, and if the gun did not have any difficulty operating at 40 grains would this load be a viable load to use long term? It would be 1 grain hotter than the load .35REM. stated.

Any thoughts?

I would chrono the loads, but my chrony is on the blink and gives errant information.

Thank yall for responding

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sticking my neck out I would say yeah if you work up to that load and don't have any trouble before you get there. I believe that 35 REM suggests haveing a Chrono and all the goodies when working up to his top loads. It could be your rifle will go even higher before reaching its max might be less than 39 grs also.

Worse thing happens is your rifle reaches max before 40 grs and you have to pull down your loaded surplus.

·
Banned
843 Posts
If Hogdon claims 37gr/H335/200gr RN is maximun that is a 3gr overage and personally I wouldn't do it. Often these over loads in rifles give poor accuracy compared to about 10% under maximun charges anyway.
But that's just my opinion and I really, really like my 336rc 1955 vintage alot. Let's see what 35 remington advises, though.

......................TM7

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Guy`s

I didn`t like using H335 for the 35 remington.It gave me too much muzzle blast.I loved the H4985 it was much better with the muzzle flashj and isn`t temp sensitive like H335.

I think you can do much better with a differint powder.

Just my 2 cents
Riflemen10x

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have shot H335 @42.5 gr /200 gr Speer they functioned well in my 336A though not overly accurate the action did not stick and no visual signs of too much pressure.
40.0 gr of H335 in a modern 336 should not be a problem and I am going to assume they are not spitzers also if they are you're wise enough to load 1 at a time. Wak

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I would never shoot reloads that someone else made. What is your health and the gun's health worth? Ammo is cheaper, and you could use a kinetic puller to pull the bullets and reload them to specs you know will work, and are done by you. Better safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Advise? Probably exactly what Wak said, and I'll tell you why a bit later. I sure wouldn't just shoot 40 grain charges loaded for someone else, though, right off the bat, especially if they were "full length sized" for someone else's gun.

1) How do you know his 40 grains charge is 40 grains? I know a lot of guys who have powder scales that they don't zero regularly and have never checked for accuracy. His "40" grains might be 37, or it might be 43. He might not be the most careful handloader.

2) A lot of guys full length size excessively, in my opinion. Depending upon his press/die combination, some like to crank the die down all the way to touch the shellholder, then screw it in an extra half or full turn, supposedly to take all the "spring" out of the press. With some die/chamber combinations, this is fine. With others it can cause excessive sizing and excessively short shoulder to head dimensions of the sized case. Not likely with most dies produced today, but I have a few die sets that will do just that if they are adjusted as I have described. Maybe he has a shorter chamber than you do, and a die that sizes excessively. Not a probability, but a possibility. Remember, s**t happens, and shooting someone else's handloads caused problems for me once. Of course, I had to learn it the hard way. Shooting a round loaded like I have described will thin the brass at the head and reduce its safe loading life. In an extreme chamber/sizing die mismatch, head separations can result.
Yes, I'm blowing the trumpet of doom a little bit, but in handloading, trust yourself and no one else.

Wak is dead on about H335, because I've tried some of the same things with it that he has. Formerly, the 25th and 26th editions of the Hodgdon manual used 39.0 H335 with the 200 grain roundnose. This gets 2130 fps in my guns at 70 degree temperatures. Still does. Pretty good accuracy for me, at least for the 200 RN. Yes, it has more muzzle flash than a lot of powders. Yes, it is temperature sensitive. Most likely 40 grains, if it IS really 40 grains, will probably be fine. But there are some other factors involved that you can't take for granted.

If you have a tool to check the dimensions of the loaded round, like a Stoney Point, and pull a few bullets to check the charge weights, then you have done all you can do. I'm also assuming the cases are loaded with H335 and not something else that looks just like it that was mistakenly pulled off the shelf and loaded in its place. A lot of the ball powders look alike.

If in doubt, and you probably are (I would be) I would pull the bullets, check the dimensions of the sized case, then start with powder you know to be H335. At the very least, the bullets are salvageable.

It may be the loads came from a very experienced handloader, but always assume that the worst has happened and a mistake may have been made.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
If it were me, I would pull the bullets, throw the powder away and build new loads using the salvaged cases/primers and bullets. And I would load them pretty moderately the first time.

Why take a chance? You sound a little nervous about shooting this ammo. Respect your instincts. You'll sleep better.

My bullet puller is one of the best investments I have made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading the replies, I wanted to thank you for the input. I need to clarify some things that I did not mention in the first post. These are my reloads for another gun. I know the powder and the charge is the 40gr H335. I am the one that sized and loaded the bullets for the bolt action. I no longer have access to the bolt action but I have several rounds that were loaded for it. I cycled them through the marlin, and the cycled. I have decided to build up to 40 grains in the marlin and see if the gun will shoot the 40gr. My concern was is the 40gr too hot for a marlin to handle. I would hate to overly stress my gun. I don't mind shooting over max as long as it stays around the 44000 cup range. What I don't want is to be up along the 55-60k range.

I hope I am making since. I have been reloading for about 20yrs for shotguns, pistols, and boltactions. I have just in the last 5 years been bitten by the leveraction bug. I started acquiring them and am now beginning to test the waters per se with over max loads in the levers.

Thank yall for replying to my question.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
without a chrony I wouldn't even go there it's not worth it for a load that's almost certainly inaccurate any way. you don't need that kind of velocity out of the .35 rem.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
without a chrony I wouldn't even go there it's not worth it for a load that's almost certainly inaccurate any way. you don't need that kind of velocity out of the .35 rem.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm waitin to get my 35 RC 35 Rem. out of Lawaway. Anyway I'm wondering if any you guys ever used Hornady .357 180gr. XPT bullets,And if did what was the load and results?
In the past I've always used 200gr. Cor-lokts w/ 35 gr.s of IMR 3031 always got great results.

Buckeye

1 - 16 of 16 Posts