Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
If it shoots patterns better sell it because you don't need another shotgun!

Just ribbing you a little. I know what you mean.

My 336 Microgroove Marlins, for five shots, not three, best loads:

3 inches with 200's, 2.2-2.3 inches for 180 Speer, in the vicinity of 2-2.1 inches for the 220 Speer. 3 shot groups are about 60-65% of the size of five shot groups, just like the ratio 3/5 would imply.

Most, if not all barrelband .35's shoot larger groups as the barrel becomes heated, so don't worry if those groups sound disappointing. They are not, and are pretty good for this type of gun. Judge the accuracy on the basis of two and three shot groups and you'll have a better indication of the hunting accuracy of the rifle.

I have yet to see a .35 336 with barrel bands shoot 5 shot groups averaging one inch, especially if the gun is fired without letting the barrel cool between shots-like 10 minutes between shots on a reasonably cool day. Even then, they really aren't capable of such accuracy, so be sure to keep your expectations realistic.

The RCBS 200 FN will give the jacketed bullets a run for the money in my rifles and easily outgroups the 200 RN's.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I always feel inadequate when I attempt to follow 35remington but since the topic of barrel cooling was brought up I will share my experience just last Saturday at the 100 yard range.

I carried 9 rifles to the range, everything from my son's .270 WSM to my .375 Win. As I shot one, I'd put it back into the rack and shoot the next in order to allow the barrels to cool in each.

Guess which one got the best 3 shot group...

Well the .270 WSM walked away with top honors. With Premium Wichester factory ammo, 150 gr. Literally 3 shots in a single, penny sized cloverleaf.

My Ruger M77 .308 was second with approx. a 1.30, 3 shot group shooting factory 150 gr. Hornady red tips.

My old .35 Remington 336 CS gave a stellar performance with a 1.80" 3 shot showing. Ammo was 150 gr corlokt Remington factory loads, the least expensive ammo I had in my bag. They formed a literal stack from .5" below the bulls eye to slightly under an inch above. I was very pleased. Another disadvantage for the .35, the largest mag. for the scope is 4x. The Browning and Ruger both had a max mag of 9x and 10x, since I was shooting for groups the max is where all scopes were used. All scopes are Leupolds.

The worst group was submitted by the .375. It is capable of good groups but I did not pack any Winchester factory loads, all were Wisconsin Cartridge Company loads. Good, reliable loads but just can't get any accuracy out of them. 4", 3 Shot group, 220 gr sp's. Can get sub 3" groups with Wichester loads and, no doubt could do much better with reloads. Scope max mag, 7x -- Leupold.

Besides this, all other groups were slightly greater than the .35 offering.

The temp was about 53, winds calm and I had time to be deliberate. 25 Minutes between each shot from each rifle shot in order from smallest cal to largest. I had to engage "whimpy pad" because of the repeated beating I was getting (and I hate recoil!!!).

Didn't mean to be so long winded but wanted to make the point, as .35rem says the 336 will not win any accuracy contests, but if the barrel cools and you use the ammo it "likes" it can do quite well.

SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35 Pattern

I took the 35 to the range yesterday and after changing scope and argueing with the people at the gun store I finally got it where I wanted it. :lol:

At 100yds It will touch bullet holes. Lady at store said it would never happen but it did. Took a few minutes but finally got it. Turned out scope was bad.

I was using remington core lock soft point 150grn. Very satisfied with gun now. :D

I sure appreciate everyones help. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
482 Posts
hopefully this will be a target of 7 shots fired in fairly rapid sucession. I took less than two minutes ot shoot all seven. at 100 measured yards at a public range. I have found if or once my gun heats up it shoots reasonably consistent.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Can you point out the location of the shots? I mean shot #1, #2, etc.

That might show what happens as the gun is heated. Good way to illustrate the point.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Ditto to 35remington's post. If you can assign the shots an order in the shooting sequence it would be most interesting.

SS

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wish I could the binoculars we were using weren't up to the task at 100 yds. I had sighted in at 50 and wanted to make sure I was 'on' at 100. On that same target there are two shots almost touching that were an 1 1/2" higher and 1/2" left of the lower left bullet in the picture. I adjusted for elevation and firing one shot ended up 2" low and 1/4" right of the lower left bullet in the picture. I split the difference and shot up the rest of my ammo in that 7 shot group. I suspect the L -R I just described is either in the mechanics of my scope or it is very slightly canted. My observation is that as my barrel heats up POI migrates up and right. So I can't tell you though which ones went where. After season I plan on finding out. BTW I did not call a flyer but had one shot I felt bad about that may be the out of group or string on the lower right.
Well here are the three adjustment shots I fired before that group I posted.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Bman, your enlarged picture served very well even though you did not count the shot order. The two in the upper left are what, .5-.6 inch apart? These must be are ones you shot first to get the point of impact. That's a darn fine two shot group, and if your gun did that as a matter of course I'd try to steal it if I could!

Well, I'm not that dishonest, but if your gun does that all the time it's a shooter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
With factory ammo it does this most all the time. Usually I shoot paper at less than 100 yds. And certainly after she starts warming up the groups open up. Right now I'm still working with H4895 but for deer season I took the scope off and last time out was shooting 1 1/2 - 2" peep sight groups at 50 yds.

If I didn't like shooting it so much I could have lived with this being a factory ammo only gun.

At some point based on some external pitting on the barrel and mag tube and lack of blueing I think it was cleaned with a 'rust and blue remover'. The Butt stock has been broken and repaired. All that to say beauty is much more than skin deep. One day I'll get it reblued or something like that also when I cut a stock down for my son I plan of cutting this one. I guess the basic plan is to shoot the snot out of it and slowly improve it along the way.

After finals I'll try to post some pics of the Marlin family.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hey sidespin,

How does the old SC shoot? I don't remember you ever reporting on that one. Are you shooting it? Or are you "safe-ing" it?

And how about the 444? Are you shooting it?

You know, you can't just hoard all those vintage Marlins without reporting on their performance to the rest of us. And if you don't shoot them regularly, the steel becomes brittle and the guns just fall into a little pile of dust at the bottom of your safe. Really! Hoppes #9 alone won't save them. It must be mixed with powder fouling CREATED IN THAT GUN. It has something to do with the chemistry of the steel. Really! My papaw said so, and he was from the south.

Live well

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well, I haven't shot the SC yet. I have shot the .444 and it's a keeper. I can't believe the recoil is so mild! I plan to take it on the Aoudad Sheep hunt next year, but I'll have to have some loads hopped up to go the distance. I think the rifle is accurate enough to get the job done.

I didn't know guns would turn to dust if you didn't shoot them, dang! I'd better get to the range with a bunch I haven't shot in years! I appreciate the info from your papaw, I knew you had some southern blood in you, a redeeming quality that covers a "multitude of sins".

SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Pattern works because it only took one shot to get me one yesterday. It wasnt a monster but First buck so a spike will do. Hope everyone else done well. :D :)

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
My 336 Microgroove Marlins, for five shots, not three, best loads:

3 inches with 200's, 2.2-2.3 inches for 180 Speer, in the vicinity of 2-2.1 inches for the 220 Speer. 3 shot groups are about 60-65% of the size of five shot groups, just like the ratio 3/5 would imply.
Man I'm gonna havta hang around wit the 336 guys.

This is a true internet moment for me. Finally I have found a group of individuals who are honest about the accuracy of their lever guns. Accuracy is something that is averaged I am sick of reading these claims of moa or sub moa goups from their Marlins. They go to the range, shoot
20 rounds, get one sub moa 3 shot group and try to explain away all the other 2" and 4" groups as, I musta flintched, pulled the trigger, the wind, or a sudden change in the earths axis. Then they cut the good group out of the shotgun pattern ones, stick it in their pocket show all their freinds and post them on the internet as this is how there gun shoots.
In reality the small group was the fluke of the bunch, and the rest are what the gun can consistently shoot. When you talk accuracy it needs to be in averaged terms, not the fluke of the groups.
Thanks for reading my rant. :lol:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well I don't shoot much. (like 10 to 20 rounds per year)

I bought a brand new 35 in late october. I used factory Remington 200 grains. I mounted a Nikon 2-7 scope. And after shooting 22 rounds with a pretty good wait between the last 5 shots. I ended up at about 1.5 inches at 50 yards. One of those I did not feel too good about. The 23rd shot was good enough to bag my 5 point buck with a brand new gun!

I guess I feel that 1.5 inches after 20 plus shots is plenty good for a hunting gun. I do hope to shoot more and really fine tune it after I get a new trigger with less than 500 pound pull (or so it seemed!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts