Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I predict that this ammo is going to sell like hotcakes this season. Just a hunch. Don't wait until the week before to buy it.

So far, I've not seen any .444 Marlin on the shelves. Anyone else seen that caliber yet?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ss marlin 35 said:
will this ammo mushroom enough in 50 yards or shorter.should i stick with my remington ammo
The Leverevolution stuff will certainly get the job done at 50 yards, but no better than the Remington. If the majority of shooting you do is at 100 yards or less, I doubt the Hornady ammo would give enough enhanced performance to be worth any added cost. The longer ranges would be where it shines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
pisgah said:
ss marlin 35 said:
will this ammo mushroom enough in 50 yards or shorter.should i stick with my remington ammo
The Leverevolution stuff will certainly get the job done at 50 yards, but no better than the Remington. If the majority of shooting you do is at 100 yards or less, I doubt the Hornady ammo would give enough enhanced performance to be worth any added cost. The longer ranges would be where it shines.

The Hornady ammo has a higher BC, which will provide better accuracy at any distance. It is faster also.

Dave

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Deer Dave said:
pisgah said:
ss marlin 35 said:

The Hornady ammo has a higher BC, which will provide better accuracy at any distance. It is faster also.

Dave
A higher BC simply means it will shoot flatter for an equal velocity. For instance, a roundnose bullet at X fps will not shoot as flat as a spitzer at the same velocity. Higher BC imparts no added accuracy -- a low-BC bullet may, in fact, shoot more accurately than a high-BC bullet in a given gun, at a given accuracy. The biggest advantage to a Leverevolution bullet will be flatter shooting for longer ranges, as it has both a higher BC and higher velocity than other bullets.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I have shot standard factory 200 grain roundnosed loads for the .35 Remington that have higher muzzle velocities than the Hornady .35 LeverEvolution.

Doubters may feel free to witness this. I still have quite a bit of it left.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
35remington said:
I have shot standard factory 200 grain roundnosed loads for the .35 Remington that have higher muzzle velocities than the Hornady .35 LeverEvolution.

Doubters may feel free to witness this. I still have quite a bit of it left.
No doubts here. A little study of reloading manuals will show that none of the Hornady loads is particularly speedy as compared to what's possible for the handloader, although they will trump most of the other factory loads. WHile the pointy bullets are a neat idea, and apparently deliver all they promise, I just don't feel a need for them. If I want to carry a 300 yard rifle, I own several that will romp 'n' stomp all over the Leverevolution-loaded levergun. I use my leverguns as they have traditionally been used, with iron sights and on shots generally on the near side of 150 yards where a fancy bullet is just not needed.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Compare a Speer 170gn, against the hornady leverevolution 162 for BC. Stick with the Remingtons for your application. After all which one will kill, simple answer both. Though I will praise anything that will get more hunters, shooters and lever gunners. I have to look at what fits my needs, I handload so the new ammo is moot to me. I do praise hornady for a lot they have done in recent years to help out shooters by introducing new cals and promoting new shooters and people into buying a new cal, we shooters worldwide are keeping an important industry alive and Hornady is a big part of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts