Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience running the Hornady LE ammo through older 336s. I just bought a 1960 SC in very good shape and promptly bought two boxes of LE 200 gr. FTX for it. Any issues firing these rounds out of this vintage rifle?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 1957 336SC in 35 Rem, and it cycles LE ammo perfectly. This is with the original follower.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
1971 336C - IF I fill the tube with LEs, it will lock up the action EVERY TIME.... In lieu of replacing the follower, someone recommended loading a RN bullet first in the tube, then filling it up with LEs. As long as I load a RN first, I have had zero problems cycling LEs.

In mine, as far as I can tell, an LE up against the old follower will cant a slight bit and 'bite' the gummy tip and once it does that, it turns into a soup sandwich.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
My 57 shoots a whole mag full with out issue. DP

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input all. I'm looking forward to trying them out and hope they work like they do in your SCs.
I found a long thread on this topic after posting my question yesterday. Seems like its a hit or miss issue depending on the gun and possibly how carefully you load the rounds lined up one behind another.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I've tried them out and put a couple boxes through my '61 RC .35Rem, filled the mag and never had a single problem. The rifle has the original follower in it.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Bedrock said:
I have a 1957 336SC in 35 Rem, and it cycles LE ammo perfectly. This is with the original follower.
I have used them in the same vintage SC, and not only do they cycle flawlessly, they are the most accurate load I have shot in that rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Mine must have been one of the duds that doesn't want to play well with others!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Same here ...1954 SC ,...perfect function and shoot great

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
The LE's made my rifle jam up from time to time. They shoot great out of my rifle. After they made my rifle jam up I only uesd them at the range. Didnt want to take a risk out in the field. Buy a reloader and make yor own! I used the Federal 35 Remington with good results. Could never get a hold of Rem core lokts. I make my own now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts