Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to start reloading the .35 next year. I have a ton of old brass I have shot in my rifle over the years. I have a question about head space. Does the reloading guys and gals use a head space gauge for the .35? I tried to find them online and they did not jump out at me. Do others assume the head space is good since it was fired from your own rifle? If there is already a thread on this topic please point me in the right direction. I searched but did not find one. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
Try backing your full length resizing die a 1/2 turn from bumping the shell holder on casings that were fired in your gun. That will have the effect of neck sizing. Check after sizing a case to make sure the bolt will close on it. If not, try turning the down a bit at a time until it fits. This will insure optimal ignition with the base of the case as close to the bolt face as possible. AC

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yep, turning the die out a bit will eliminate misfires on many an old .35. The narrow shoulder seems to create headspace issues earlier than most cartridges.

Of course, there is limit to how much you can do this, but if the rifle still locks up and otherwise shows no sign of excessive wear, you should be fine.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just to be sure, all your old cases were fired in your ONE rifle, correct? If so the 'partial' resizing should work. If any were possibly fired in any other 35 Rem then they may need full length resizing. Even then the FL die may not need to be turned in all the way to a firm contact with the shell holder. Clean and lubricate the inside of your case NECKS with a dry lube and a cleaning brush. Midway sells a nice nylon brush base with several different size brushes to do this quick chore. This HELPS keep the expander plug of your FL die from deforming (stretching) the case as it is pulled out [case pulled out of the FL die]. Sometimes insides of necks are crusty enough to allow the expander to pull through with enough DRAG to actually stretch the case to where it is too long again and make chambering difficult, especially in a low camming power lever action.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
A Wilson case gauge is part if my 35 rem reloading components. All reloaded rounds including factory get dropped in the gauge. You may be surprised at what you might find and eliminate misfires or hard chambering. :top:

Reactions: GrumpyBear
1 - 7 of 7 Posts