Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been hashed and rehashed a million times already...I am a new Marlin 336 owner, and new to the .35 Remington cartridge in general.

This site seems to be one of the best for real-world experience and understanding the .35, and I've already read some very helpful posts. I wanted to restate a couple things I thought I understood, as it is different from my previous experience.

My handloading to this point has been for varmint rifles/cartridges. My goal has been accuracy before velocity. There was never a question, really, of bullet performance -- a varmint bullet is so frangible that whether it is moving at 3600 or 3900 fps, the results will be spectacular. Of course, it was appropriate to make sure that velocities were appropriate for the caliber/bullet weight -- otherwise, perhaps the powder used wasn't the best choice.

Anyway, from what I've read, it seems that loading for the .35 is going to be slightly different. As I read it, there really is a "sweet spot" for bullet performance in the .35. Other posts seem to suggest about 2300 fps for a 180gr. and between 2100-2200 fps for a 200gr. Am I off base? Again, I completely understand the safety issues surrounding reloading; I am not a new reloader, and I don't plan to nonchalantly dump powder in cases to get the bullet going at that speed...

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have always tried to get the best accuracy out of a load. I have found that there is an area of usually about grain that shoots well. It is not the hottest load but capable of .74-1.0 inches at 100 yards. I have 2 rifles in 35 Rem and was not lucky enough to have the same load shoot good in both rifles. But it is interesting that both loads are about the same as far as velocity. My loads run about 2050FPS(I'm at work and dont have the data handy) and are more than ample to kill any deer. I have a 35 Whelen so I have never seen the need to try an turn the 35 Rem into one. Work up some loads and see what happens. Most of all enjoy that 35.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, you got it right!

Just work up your loads slowly and carefully. Your loads will probably show no signs of pressure, since at those velocities the pressure still won't be high, just higher than the old saami standard for the 35 rem, probably around 30-30 pressures.

I settled for the 180 speer at around 2350 fps with H4895. This load shoots well in my rifle, and shoots flat enough to easily make it a 200 yard cartridge.

Not bad for the 'old girl.

G

·
big medicine said:
I have always tried to get the best accuracy out of a load. I have found that there is an area of usually about grain that shoots well. It is not the hottest load but capable of .74-1.0 inches at 100 yards. I have 2 rifles in 35 Rem and was not lucky enough to have the same load shoot good in both rifles. But it is interesting that both loads are about the same as far as velocity. My loads run about 2050FPS(I'm at work and dont have the data handy) and are more than ample to kill any deer. I have a 35 Whelen so I have never seen the need to try an turn the 35 Rem into one. Work up some loads and see what happens. Most of all enjoy that 35.
I have owned 7 35 caliber rifles so far . Had Ruger 77 in 358 WIN ,700 Classic in 35 Whelan ,673 in 350 REM MAG ,pair of Marlins in 35 and a pair of Marlins in 357. NOw they all shot well but I only have the 4 Marlins any longer. The other three were nice guns but they just didn't keep me intrested . My two 35's also shoot different loads; my 336D shoots the 200gr REM RN CORE-LOKT with 36grains of IMR3031; while my 336SC shoots RCBS 200gr GC cast bullets with 13grains of SR4756. I have already killed deer with the cast load, so I am quite sure the other load in the 336D will work also :!:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Slowhands experience closely mirrows mine with the .35 Remington.

My favorite 180gr load is also H4895 and velocity is ~ 2,400fps

For the 200gr Corlokt, it is about 2,250fps.

But, I have found that going beyond the accuracy level, that accuracy dosen't deterioate proportionally up to just below where the action starts becoming "sticky" to open. This is where I work up to.

My Marlin will give ~2,100fps with the 200gr Rem corlokt over book max of 38.5gr and very good accuracy (3-shots to ~1.0" @100yds), but upping to 40.0 gives 2,250fps and astonishing "put down" on deer and a slightly flatter trajectory but only opens the groups up to ~1.5".

For a deer or pig, I prefer the velocity in the .35 to accuracy as the ranges are nearly always on the short side of the 150yds I zero to.

If you are looking for MAXIMUM ACCURACY, check out the Hodgdon "free" manual listed loads and load them exactly as listed. From my experience, their recommended max loads in this manual is where they found best accuracy, not neccessarily the maximum working loads. I have found this to be true with .22 Hornet, .223, .257Robt.,.25/06, .270, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 7mm RemMag, 7.62x39, .30/30, .30/06, .338/06, and .35Rem. Only exception was .45/70. Working max and accuracy for Marlin 1895 in .45/70 were well above the listed loads which are for Trap door Springfields.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts