Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on the 35 greevy express.

After searching around this site and the internet the only ballistics or information I can find on this cartridge, which is a necked down 45-70 to 35 caliber, is a guy who built one out of a bolt gun with a COAL of about 2.8 or longer. This cartridge really intrigues me since it has similar case capacity to a 35 Whelen. Several people on here have suggested it as a wild cat but I can't find any load data, ballistics information, what bullets or bullet lengths are suitable, ect. Any information or pointing me in the direction of any would be great.

Looking at Hogden's website a low pressure loaded 35 whelen round has some good velocities. Not sure the 35 greevy could run at even the low pressure 35 whelen but if so would be very promising.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is a book called "wildcat Cartridges" that has information on the 35 Greevy Express.It was designed by a man in Williamsport Pa. who had a model 71 Winchester.He wanted the same ballistics in a gun that worked better for scope mounting.He used the 1895 Marlin.I duplicated the case dimensions from that book by simply running a 45/70 case into a 348 win. sizing die and then using a 35 cal.expander to get the correct neck size.It would be a great gun.With the bullets now available it would be better than the original version.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
He built it on a Marlin 1895XLR first and here's a pic

The reason that I went to the bolt was the COAL issues. In a Marlin you will acheive .358Win and can't acheive better that the Marlin .338. In a Siamese Mauser you get .35 Whelen improved, that's why Ken Waters did it first.

Here's a pic of the Mauser.

These were the loads that were safe in MY rifle and should be started 5% lower until you understand yours. Remember that while the 336 action is safe for 44000 CUP with .444 cases, it is not the same for the .45-70 case head as the surface area is greater and therefore so is the bolt thrust.

Speer/Hawk 180 Fed 210 FSP 52.5 H4895 2544 2864 2.55
Speer 220 Fed 210 FSP 49.4 Varget 2272 2778 2.55

Without the benefit of a talented Gunsmith, the length will hold the cartridge back. Even with the best stretch, the .338 with Hornady's powder is King in this action.

Good luck and I'm happy to answer any questions that you have.

1 last pic of an un=fireformed cartridge.

Snow.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
This is a very interesting project, but there doesn't seem to be much gain over a 356win in a 20" barrel lever action.

I had thought of a similar project going to .375 caliber and using the Hornady 220 grain bullet as a starting point. Maybe use the Speer 235 grain as a two shooter using a Marlin 1895. My biggest concern would be I'd spent a boat load of money and find out it wasn't any better than my .35 Whelen.

Thanks for sharing the info and the great pictures.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
You're right, you get .356 with less efficiency. However, .356 is not common, BLR's in .358 aren't a common sight around here either and the .338 wasn't even a rumour at the time.

Snow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I like the 338 marlin express(338 ME), it certainly is a big step in the direction I'd like to go, but don't like that can't duplicate factory performance with hand loading and has one off brass. Here in Alaska I have seen several 308 ME but never 338 ME. The closest I have come to 338 ME rifle or ammo is empty 338 ME boxes in the range trash. Was hoping there was something close to 338 ME but not one off brass or disappointing hand loading performance, the 35 greevy seemed a good way to go. Doing more searching on here I have found the 348 DC by Clements Guns. That gets me really excited. A common gun, with common brass just modified to shoot pretty close or better then the 338 ME. Only problem is there is almost an order of magnitude difference in price between 338 ME and 348 DC guns. Some gummy tip 348 bullets would be good to.

Again, thanks for those that replied. Guess I better go see which is bigger my paycheck or gun shop list.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I lived in the "Lower 48" I would be using a .30 caliber "something or other" for all my lever gun needs, unless I wanted a dedicated bear caliber. I am not a big fan of high pressure rounds in a Marlin rifle if not needed. But, some times one has to go that route to reach the performance levels in velocity they are after.

That is why I am looking for a donor Marlin to use for the 36 RPP. I feel that modified .35 Whelen case they use for the 36 RPP is a really good idea.

For about 15 years it seems like there is a wind blowing on lever guns and their cartridge offerings. That wind is bringing higher velocities in an attempt to make lever gun cartridges long range performers. The only real interest I have in that direction is getting .358 Win. ballistics out of a 336 or 1895 Marlin. The 36 RPP seems to be able to do that, so I want one.

But, I tend to be a bit old fashioned and like lever gun cartridges to be lever gun cartridges. For me that means no scope and a long shot is 200 yards. But, every one should catch their dreams once in a while.

·
Registered
174 Posts
the 348 DC is the a .348 Grevey if you will... AND I am still toying with that idea also. (along with 36RPP, 356win conversion, 348 or 35 on the 338MX)
Decent bullets out there, far more than the 35. Though the 220 speer hard to beat, the Banes Original in 220 is tough to question. AND if you can find them the 200gr Swift A-frame would be a great bullet. (although should have made it about 210-220grains)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts