Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot posts about converting a 30-30 to a 7-30 Waters. But would a 35 Marlin conversion to a 250 Savage be better? I checked Midway and they carry round nose 257 bullets in 60, 75, 86, and 117 grains. The Lee reloading manual shows recipes for 60 grain bullets up to 3667 ft/sec. Talk about a good varmint load. The Lee reloading manual has recipes for 75 grain bullets at 3460 ft/sec, 86 grain bullets at 3297 ft/sec (that's better than a 243) and 117 grain bullets at 2789 ft/sec. Of course, the ballistics are probably for a 24 inch barrel. The Lee manual does not state the barrel length. The 250 Savage OAL is shorter than a 35. The bolt face would need to be opened up a little, but everthing else should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had thought of doing this conversion and even bought a 25-20 marlin 94 barrel for the project.

Along the way, I lost my head and ended up getting married again and a lot of those projects got pushed to the back ground.

I was told that this barrel could be fitted to a 336 in 35 rem and the rechambered for 250 Savage.

If anyone is interested in the barrel at a reasonable price. e-mail me at [email protected].

Bill

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here's a qoute to back information on the 250Savage in a Marlin 336 rifle.

In the 1983 issue of Handloader #105 Sept-Oct issue, Layne Simpson was writing an article on the then new 307 and 356 Winchesters and while discussing the possible ways of improving the 307&356 he mentions the Marlin 336 built in .250-3000Savage.
"Another possibility is the use of a spiral-type magazine tube, like those on the old Remington Model 14 and 141 pump rifles, to keep bullet tips away from primers. Marlin once built several Model 336 rifles in .250-3000Savage with this kind of magazine, and it might be a good idea to pull such a concept down off the shelf and dust it off."

And here's a quote from the 24hourcampfire.

The rifle he owns has to be the one owned by L. R. Wallack (sp?). He wrote about it in a late '70's or early '80's American Rifleman and said the reason Marlin dropped it was due to extraction difficulties. Wallack said the rifle had no problem with pressure, just extraction. It has been awhile since I read the article but I dont remeber a mention of the spiral magazine tube!

Edit: Well the old story of the blind hog applies here. I walked right to the article this morning. The July 1978 issue of the American Rifleman has an article entitles "Marlin 336: The other Lever Action" by L. R. Wallack.

On page 35 Wallack says that he owned the prototype Marlin 336 chambered for .250 Savage. He says the rifle shot well with factory ammunition and equivalent handloads. Wallack does indeed say the rifle has a spiral tube magazine. I had forgotten that!! The rifle was made in the early 1970's. Lack of primary extraction was the reason the idea was dropped'

Edited by selsnslim (12/31/04 07:56 AM)

I really think it would be a good idea to try and may get around to it some day. But for now I've got enough on my plate.

JDW

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, I was going to do the same after reading the article years ago. I even bought a spiral magazine at a gun show that came off one of the Remingtons. Still have it. :lol: Parley

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
No reason to use the .35 as a basis, as the more common, and less expensive .30-30 would work fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This conversion intrigues me. I thought I would convert a 30-30 to 25-35 but I can make a 250 Sav. into a 25-35 but not conversely. Just how realistic is this conversion? Seems one would want a 10 or 12 twist and where does the barrel come from. Must it be made (custom)? Will the 25-20 barrel fit a 336? Aren't 25-20 barrels 14 twist? Does anyone know for sure? Interesting to think on. Regards, Woody

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think the 25-35 had something like a 1 in 8" twist.
Paul B.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Paul B said:
I think the 25-35 had something like a 1 in 8" twist.
Paul B.
Paul, you're correct but that twist is really too fast for lighter bullets. IMO even for the slow velocity of the 25-35, I think a 1 in 10 would be better all around. Regards, Woody

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The head diameter of a 250 Savage is a smaller than a 30-30. You would need to replace the bolt if you use a 30-30. The head diameter of a 250 Savage is a little larger than a 35 Remington cartridge. You need to open the bolt face up a little, but you would not have to replace the bolt. Everything else should work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts