Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a 35 caliber Sierra 200 grain bullet? Does it expand well from a 35 Marlin rifle? I am leaving on a hunting trip Friday and plan to use this bullet. Thanks, Taylor

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I've done some pretty extensive testing with it, and it appears to do okay in the .35 at most distances. At extreme close range impacts, the jacket tends to loosen from the core once expansion gets past the cannelure, but the core and jacket were always found together in the media I used.

At what velocity will you be shooting the Sierra 200?

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Should work very well. Most of my testing was at 2200 fps, and the bullets opened up pretty well in wet phone books at 200 yards, with expansion a bit lopsided because these bullets lack the skiving cuts of the Core-Lokt and the Power Point 200 grain bullets. Opens up much better than the Hornady bullet as velocity falls off, but outpenetrates the Hornady bullet at the closer ranges. About 25 percent more.

If you get your deer, let us know how it worked.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PA,
Interesting. Are you suggesting that each hunter should do extensive testing on bullet expansion before they go hunting? Or, are you suggesting that I should have asked this question a week earlier? Or, are you just trying to be rude?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The good thing is if you can't get a good load worked up by then, you can always use the core lokt or power point factory. I've used both for deer and antelope with excellent results. In the past with my work schedule, I never knew if I was going to get time to hunt or not. I know that's true with many folks. Good luck on your hunt! :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well now that you asked...yes you should have done your research well in advance of planning on using it to kill something. An animal any animal deserves it.
Secondly a week?? Heck it should have been done monthS ago so that YOU would be confident it the results.
Thirdly rude? Yes I guess I am being rude. As I hold little tolerance for those types that pick up a gun/bullet combo AWEEK before a planned trip and just then start asking questions about it. PARR

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In an earlier post, you mentioned that you owned several rifles. Do you think that YOU are the only person that owns more than one rifle? I own several rifles. If I had received bad comments on the expansion of the bullet, I would have simply chose a different rifle. How sad for your mother that she lacked intelligent conversation with her son and that she could not teach you manners.

G

·
Taylor said:
Has anyone tried a 35 caliber Sierra 200 grain bullet? Does it expand well from a 35 Marlin rifle? I am leaving on a hunting trip Friday and plan to use this bullet. Thanks, Taylor
I've shot that bullet in my 336D, and it shoots well on paper. However it does no better then the Rem. 200gr core-Lokt roundnose bullets( you can buy these from Midway). As far as game is concerned I've not shot an animal with either bullet, so I can't answer that :?

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
In my own testing, I would rate the 200's in this order of desirability:

Remington Core-Lokt, handloaded or factory
Winchester Power Point factory
Federal Hi Shok softpoint factory
Sierra-slightly behind Federal factory if handloaded to 2200 fps; equivalent to Federal factory if loaded to the same speed of ~2070 fps. Reason for the difference is the core/jacket loosening at high speed impact at close range. I very much doubt this would matter on any shot taken on any deer that ever walked. Deer ain't the same as phone books.
Hornady

Hornady last because it stops expanding sooner than any other bullet. Penetrates a little less (25%) than the other bullets on high velocity impacts. Blows the biggest hole on close range shots. Core/jacket never separates, though, due to the Interlock feature.

All will work, although I'd stay away from the Hornady if you are loading to 2000 fps and below. Better keep the velocity up on that one. 2200 fps is a good idea. Don't try shooting at long range with it.

The Remington Core-Lokt works at any .35 Remington speed and never fails at either close or long range. That's why it's #1, IMO.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had a hard time finding a bullet/powder combination that has given good accuracy. I like Remington Core-Lokt bullets, but they group poor in my 35 Marlin. 200 grain Sierra/BL C2 powder has given very good groups. I knew several people had done bullet expansion tests and would know how the bullet would expand. Thanks for your help. Taylor

G

·
I'm not at home so I can't quote loads. But in my rifle I used IMR powder you could use the same charge and change the bullet and they both shot well :!:

G

·
Also in my 336SC in 35 , I shoot cast bullets . And that gun is accurate and has killed deer. If a 200gr cast bullet made from wheelweights shoots thru a deer you shouldn't have to worry about any of the jacketed ones :D May have to take my 336D out next week and try to get a deer with it :D But then there are 8 or 9 others I've said the same thing about also :?

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I do the cast thing too. I found that somewhere around 33-35 grains IMR 3031 with the RCBS/wheelweight bullet pretty much duplicates the point of impact of the Remington 200 factory load, and it expands just as well as the 200 Remington Core-Lokt at 200 yards.

I agree, it's a good deer bullet.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
So, what do you guys call good accuracy with 200's in your rifle? My rifle will group into around 3 inches for five shots, 2 inches for three shots, which I call pretty acceptable for most stuff I shoot a .35 at. Winchester factory has done better on a few occasions.

I see reports from some guys that claim better, and I wonder if their Microgroove barrels differ slightly from mine.

I have found, though, that you almost have to work hard to find a powder that won't shoot the RCBS cast bullet accurately.

G

·
35remington said:
So, what do you guys call good accuracy with 200's in your rifle? My rifle will group into around 3 inches for five shots, 2 inches for three shots, which I call pretty acceptable for most stuff I shoot a .35 at. Winchester factory has done better on a few occasions.

I see reports from some guys that claim better, and I wonder if their Microgroove barrels differ slightly from mine.

I have found, though, that you almost have to work hard to find a powder that won't shoot the RCBS cast bullet accurately.
My 336D with 4x Leupold and the 200 gr REM handload will keep 3 in 1.5" at 100. My 336SC with the RCBS 200gr cast and peep will put 3 at 50 in less then an inch :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Taylor I was away for a few days actually doing some hunting with my guns. Rifle / bullet combos that I know work because I don't rely on others for imfo.
yes I own guns a couple 100 of them and you know what? EVERY ONE of them I have done the research on myself to find the correct load they like. How did I know where to start? Bought a loading manual an figured it out for myself. How did I know how the bullet would perform? Bought "gel" an tested them. PARR

·
Registered
137 Posts
6 pt; I'm loading 180 gr Speer RN over IMR3031 for my 336D...they have proven devistating to several deer and a black bear ,as well as holding a 3 shot <1" @ 100 yds. I don't do that fancy shooting with open sights anymore! My 336D has a 2.5 X Leupold compact with heavy Duplex wires mounted on it.
I am also casting my own out of wheel weights with my Lyman mould that after sizing,etc. average weight @ 183-185 grs with the same IMR3031 load. Not quite as accurate but the hogs I've been shooting drop stone dead at the shot! PARR

·
Registered
56 Posts
Taylor,
That bullet will do fine on deer up to 125 yards at those velocities!
Any whitetail hit with that bad boy is going 30-40 yards max! Before he lies down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts