Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 336 in 35 Rem. It will shoot first shot close at 100 yds, but then they start to climb. All of the shooting is done off of sandbags and a table. I can let it set for 45 minutes to an hour and it will shoot back on target. I have read the tips on accurizing, relieve the forearm, loosen the barrel band etc. and have done all of this. Still it comes out of the safe and shoots first shot right on and then starts climbing, as much as 8 inches. There is even a difference if I leave it out on the sandbag rest or if I put it inside for the waiting period. If it is out in moderate heat it will continue to shoot high, bring it in to the A/C it will shoot closer. Any thoughts or suggestions. I had been shooting Hornady factory loads,but got enough empties to start reloading, Leverolution and Hornadys FTX 200 gr.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
first off are you using a scope? if so i would say there has to be pressure from the forearm causing this problem. i would take the forearm off and look at it close for any stress or high spots in the wood and relieve the pressure. i would shoot it without the forearm and see if it settles down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using a good scope, have taken it off and checked everything to make sure everything is tight, will try without forearm but i have relieved the forearm to where I can slide a piece of paper under it all the way up to the band. Band has been polished and screw loosened.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have read the tips on accurizing, relieve the forearm, loosen the barrel band etc. and have done all of this. Still it comes out of the safe and shoots first shot right on and then starts climbing, as much as 8 inches.
OK, the easy fixes didn't work, but they do suggest there is stress on the barrel. Unlike most rifles, it seems it's not from the ordinary sources.

Is the magazine tube straight? Some get bent.
Does the rate of climb change with increasing/decreasing pressure on the screws in the front/rear band? Check each separately.
Do the bands bind against the barrel?

Somewhere the stock or metal is applying pressure. It's a matter of finding where, and putting a fix on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gcorry, have you tried removing the magazine tube and forearm and shooting it single shot off your rest/bags?

Doing so allows you to determine whether it is a stress issue or an issue with the barrel/ammo. If it starts shooting fine, then it's stress; if it keeps acting up, you have other problems.

Also, what types of ammo have you tried and do they all act the same?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Where are you resting the forearm on the sand bag? Generally closer to the receiver better for a lever. Not necessarily for a bolt action.

Have you taken the rifle apart? As has been mentioned, the magazine tube is a huge factor in consistent grouping. If it isn't placed exactly as it was it can create a pressure point. It's a maddening process to solve the riddle, just takes time.
Don't ask how I know.
Ss

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The barrel is relieved for the magazine tube at the receiver. Sometimes the relief cut is not deep enough to allow the magazine tube to enter the receiver and mate with its support point at the forward end without binding on the barrel. This will cause what you are describing. Using a Dremel tool or round file, I have increased the relief cut to liminate the binding and had good results.

Reactions: Levelout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took 35 to cabin/range this week. First shot at 100 yds. right on, second shot two minutes later +7 inches. Took off forearm and mag tube. Shot five shot 3in. group right on target. Used a vise and small flat file and began to remove metal from bottom of barrel and top of tube until I could slide dollar bill between them with tube installed and band on with screw inserted. After this it shot consistent 2 1/2 groups. This with a 1 1/4 to 4 power Bushnell scope. Great scope by the way for this rifle, has illuminated dot that can be turned on and adjusted for dim light conditions. Amazing that this small amount of pressure so close to receiver where the barrel is so heavy could effect it this much. Think I now have a keeper. Thanks for the advice and help.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sure glad to help. Such a great rifle in a great caliber/cartridge should never be a disappointment.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The barrel is relieved for the magazine tube at the receiver. Sometimes the relief cut is not deep enough to allow the magazine tube to enter the receiver and mate with its support point at the forward end without binding on the barrel. This will cause what you are describing. Using a Dremel tool or round file, I have increased the relief cut to liminate the binding and had good results.
I may have this problem as well. When you say "Relief Cut"..are you referring to the slot cut at the top of the barrel for the mag tube?

C.D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts