Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this a 35 rem forum, but............

i went out deer hunting tuesday afternoon and i took my win m94 in 35/30(JES Reboring). it was windy(15-20mph, gusts 35mph) and around 33 degrees. i was sitting there for about two hours with an hour till dark. i go to myself, "ah. .), its windy and i'm tired of sitting there and i'm ready to gimp back down to my utv." i give it a lookaround and suddenly, downwind of me, comes a buck. i have earth scent and it works well, so i wasn't surprised the buck came there. i look it over and i go to myself, "it looks like 4pt and i don't have any meat......i'll wait till turns, then i'll shoot it." it turns, goes about 10 yards, then the buck stops. the buck is 50ish yrds, about broadside, so i take the shot. the buck jumps up and runs about 20ish yards and it stands there. but the buck stops behind a tree, only leaving his hindquaters in view. i put another "shell in the chamber" and wait. then there is a "sniffing" sound and the buck is blowing air(entrance and exit wound) out of the lungs. it must have taken me 5 minutes(only about 40-50 seconds) before he fell down and died.

i gimp up to the 4pt and i see that the shot was high and behind the shoulder. that would explain why i heard the "sniffing" sound. the 200gr rcbs fn gc with 20.0gr of 2400/tuft of dacron(1726fps) went thru the rib, thru both lungs, and went out thru a rib. i guess that made a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" exit hole. i gutted it and and "tried" to drag it, i was like a one legged man in an butt kicking contest!!!! it was getting dark so i left it there, go home and call my brother to drag it out(he and the buck went 30 yards over 4 broken trees.) i guess that it 150-160lbs field dressed. i should have took some pictures, but i didn't. both antlers were around 1" base, goes up about 4 or 5" and the Ys off and ends and 9 or 10". i'm just glad that i got a deer, gimpyiness besides!!!!!!

sighting it in at 100 yards

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Congrats on the buck!

I have 2 rebores from JES, a Glenfield 375 Winchester and a Marlin 356 Winchester. His rebores are very accurate.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a jap type 99(30-06) that i want to send it to JES. it will either be the 338-06 or 9.3x62. i have a sporterized carcano (it will go rifling to nonexistent to rifling to nonexistent....) but i don't what caliber.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks for telling your story! I always love to hear the account of other member's successful hunts, especially when the animal is taken with a lever action. I really enjoy when th the story includes the details you have such as the firearm used, the distance of the shot , the animal's positioning, its response to the shot, the bullet's impact and performance... You did a great job of putting this all together while keeping it an interesting read. I hope that I can do as well in my own writings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One of the great things about hunting is that it's never quite the same, year to year, and that each new offers opportunities to learn something. Great story and a great rifle. I was looking for a beater 94 to send to JES for just that conversion, when I tripped over my old 35 Texan.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used that rifle for years until i started reloading. my grandpappy gave me the 30-30(i think it was my 14th years old and it was christmas) and i used it!!! from groundhogs to foxes to deer, i killed a mess of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts