Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be ordering a XS full lever rail with gost ring for a 338mxlr project and need to know what receiver it's built on.
Now I know from speaking to Marlin before ordering a big loop lever that the lever is a 1895 lever.
Want to make sure before ordering the rail because like anyone else would rather get it right the first time.

Reactions: Ret_Eng and JACKTW

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
Hey XMAN, I bet your itching to get your hands on that MXLR! When I purchased my 2008 JM 338MX I had to go through the dreaded CA 10 day waiting period which gave me a terrible itch.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but according to Brand Manger of Marlin/HR Firearms Tim Looney, "The 338MX and 338MXLR are based on the 1895M (.450 Marlin) receiver platform with internal modifications to the geometry to allow for proper functioning with the 388ME cartridge."

Explaining further, Looney said, “The breech bolt was designed around the .338 Marlin Express’ 0.553" rim diameter, including the extraction system, and the tubular magazine system does not include the bulged area found in the 1895 and 444 Big Bore rifle platforms.”

This is from in the article Hauling Freight - The 338 Marlin Express by AARON CATER Managing Editor - February 2009 American Rifleman - An Official Journal of the NRA

Great article on the 338MXLR and a report on his successful Elberta Moose hunt that is quite entertaining. A worthy read.

Looking forward to viewing your magic on your Marlin and a range report. Not to mention several pictures! :biggrin:

Jack

Reactions: XMAN

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bet ya! I'm as giddy as a school girl over her. Lol:biggrin:
Thanks Jack. I found an old thread this morning well have a cup of coffee. Were you metioned that exact same thing. So I went ahead and order the XS full lever rail for an 1895.
I'm already pricing out dies and bullets:biggrin:
I'm going to have to read that article.

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
I thought I posted it before.

Yeah, nothing like a new toy to turn a grown man into a kid! HA!

As soon as our .338 custom dies come in we'll be developing bullets specifically for the 338ME cartridge. Premium construction while maintaining the elongated nose section of the 338FTX bullet only with a small meplat FN. It should maintain a much higher BC than FN currently offered in 338 cal. My goal is to have a premium bullet with great ballistics making an excellent 300YD+ big game bullet.

Should be fun developing it and lot's of bench time. :biggrin:

We're currently developing our .308 bullet offering with the same criteria and goals.

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng and XMAN

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I posted it before.

Yeah, nothing like a new toy to turn a grown man into a kid! HA!

As soon as our .338 custom dies come in we'll be developing bullets specifically for the 338ME cartridge. Premium construction while maintaining the elongated nose section of the 338FTX bullet only with a small meplat FN. It should maintain a much higher BC than FN currently offered in 338 cal. My goal is to have a premium bullet with great ballistics making an excellent 300YD+ big game bullet.

Should be fun developing it and lot's of bench time. :biggrin:

We're currently developing our .308 bullet offering with the same criteria and goals.

Jack
Oh man!
That would be great. I've been interested in the 338 for a long time. And the only problem I see with it is the lack of bullets suitable for the 338mx. Only one's I've seen are the hornady ftx and hornady 250gr RN. I believe Remington makes a 250 gr RN but haven't seen any available for reloading. Only loaded ammo that seems a little anemic for the 338mx's intended purpose.
But what do I know.

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
You are correct. There aren't many 338 bullets offered for Marlin tube magazines and those that are aren't designed specifically for the 338ME. Same holds true for the 308ME. We intend to remedy this with offering premium bullets specially designed for both Express cartridges.

I'm really taken with the Marlin Express rifles and wish to see what is possible. When we get all done we'll be making them available. So stay tuned.

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng and XMAN

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
LOL, thanks buddy. All in due time as they have to be right before I release them.

As soon as I believe they're right I will be posting a thread debuting them.

Jack

Reactions: XMAN
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.