Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a like new in the box 338MX Serial number 91029xxx. It has a "JM" on the barrel. I won it at a charity auction three years ago and put it in the closet. I am not a hunter so I want to sell it. Never fired, never unlocked. As far as I know it was only out of the bag on display at the auction for a few hours. Should I put it on GunBroker or TexasGunTrader? Any help how to sell is appreciated.
338MXa box.jpg 338MXa.jpg

Thanks,
Leadbottom
North Texas

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Give it a few days here first, someone will snatch it up for a fair price.

Be prepared to be vetted via phone and email by anyone who is going to send you money given that this is your first post.

How much are you asking for it?

And a mod probably needs to come along and move this to the WTT WTS forum.

Reactions: leadbottom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I looked and can't find the Wanted area, but then again, I am new to the forum. I was not sure that I could try to sell on this forum. As far as price, I was hoping for guidance there also. It seems from reading posts this serial number range is sought after, as well as the barrel marking. I am sure I paid much more than it was worth, but after all, it was for a charity.
So what is a fair price range? I have seen recent posts of $700 to $900 on this site, but they might have had ammo, etc.
I guess I will see if anyone is interested here.
Thanks!
leadbottom

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,075 Posts
I paid $530 + tax NIB for mine and it is a Frankengun (91xxxxx with a REP proof barrel).
The 91xxxxx were made anywhere from 2009 until the actions were used up, maybe 2011.
There are guys looking for these and those of us that have them know why!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
To post in the for sale section, ya need 25 posts. Start talkin and postin. DP

·
Registered
846 Posts
I payed $549.99 for my first 338 ME on December 6th 2010, 91 serial number,JM stamped and it had the droopy Barrle! Just saying. Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Yep, you definitely need 25 posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So two years ago they were selling NIB for $525 - $550. Now that the true Marlin production has ended, this gun may get harder to find with a 91xxxxx serial number and a 'JM' barrel. Does $700 sound right?

Or maybe I will just run a patch through it and put it up for another three years. Do you think it will continue to gain value?

Thanks,
leadbottom
(Old target shooter - .223 across the course 100/200/600 yds, iron sights)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Even if the Wizards at remlin bring the .338 back in production Your rifle will be worth more than the new ones. and if they don't bring them back it new in the box is one heck of an investment. I would keep it oiled and put it away. My .02

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Does it have the dreaded "Barrel Droop"?? That is the "BIG QUESTION"

·
Registered
473 Posts
They'll bring $700 or more on GB at the moment; although prices could drop soon with hunting seasons rapidly drawing to a close in mose areas. I have a '92 prefix that I purchased new in 2009 for $550 out the door; then recently found an "as new" "91 prefix 338MX that I was able to purchase for $425 OTD. I certainly didn't need another 338MX; but figured it would be worth at least $600-$650 if I ever wanted to resell the piece, so I simply couldn't pass the gun up at that price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oleroy, I am new to this type rifle. I have seen comments about barrel droop. I get the gist, but don't really know what to look for. If you could tell me I will gladly check my rifle.

Thanks!
leadbottom

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Leadbottom, best way to check for "barrel droop" is to scope it & then see if it can be bore sighted. You or a gunsmith could do this. If scope crosshairs will align with bore sight then everything should be good to go. $600-700.00 would not be too bad a price if it does not have barrel droop. I & I'm sure You wouldn't want to lay out 700.00 for a rifle & then couldn't scope it & then have to send to factory for repairs. Not trying to be difficult here, just some friendly advice. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
l'm thinking that either way you're going to want to find out if it has the droopsies. lf it does then you'll want to send it in and get it fixed/repkaced now by the factory while you still can, then if you sell or keep it's worth more either way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Outfitter, did the 91 series serial numbers have the droop also? Some people are saying it was with later models.

Thanks,
leadbottom

·
Registered
143 Posts
Almost all of them that had the droop were 91# guns. As far as i can tell remington dropped the line pretty quick and never manufactured many after the move. Haven't heard of any of the 92# ones with droop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts